It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiest's Billboard for Christmas Spirit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by xiphias
Atheism is a religion just like any other,.

Nobody on this planet has any hard evidence to support the existence or non-existence of a higher power.

This billboard deserves to be mocked with the same spirit you would mock any other blatant religious propaganda.

Athiests will never be able to prove there is no God, also they will never be able to prove there is no invisible unicorns, elves, etc...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

A lot of people will be too busy driving in traffic
to really take notice of the wording.At least others
will be able to see the nativity this year.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by xiphias
Atheism is a religion just like any other,.

Except that it isn't. Atheism is simply the non-belief of gods.

Atheism is as much a religion as white and black are colors.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I love it!
I just wish we could have billboards like this in California. Christians yell and stomp their feet when someone makes fun of the religion.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Just add an "A" to manger...

And it becomes "Manager"..

There's some reason for ya!!.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

Haha! Oh wow!
Atheism is a lack of religion. Calming Atheism is a religion is like calming you can be only moral with God.

Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity, which implies that nothing exists but natural phenomena (matter), that thought is a property or function of matter, and that death irreversibly and totally terminates individual organic units. This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be. Humankind is on its own.

Snippet source
Can you prove there is a God(s)?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Athiests do not disbelieve in a higher power.

They just refuse religion as it is.

Religion is a construct,a belief of men from when they could not explain reality.

We need to grow beyond it.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

Well put it like this...

If you ask an Atheist: "What is your religion?", he would probably answer "I'm an Atheist," before he would answer "I have no religion." Some people might even answer: "I'm a devout Atheist."

If you have any firm philosophical position, you have some sort of religion, even if it can't be defined. But then again, I look at science and spirituality as the same thing, just different ends of the same spectrum.

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Athiests will never be able to prove there is no God, also they will never be able to prove there is no invisible unicorns, elves, etc...

Never say never. The universe is dictated by probability.

I think the concept of "God" is vastly different than the concept of a higher power or force. I personally believe there is an underlying intelligence in all things material and immaterial, but not necessarily some external being looking down on us (from above or below), or actively judging us.

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by xiphias

Haha! Oh wow!
Atheism is a lack of religion. Calming Atheism is a religion is like calming you can be only moral with God.

Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity, which implies that nothing exists but natural phenomena (matter), that thought is a property or function of matter, and that death irreversibly and totally terminates individual organic units. This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be. Humankind is on its own.

Snippet source
Can you prove there is a God(s)?

One could argue that modern physics is a religion, the "deity" being the understanding of the forces of nature. Likewise, one could argue the Atheism is a religion, the "deity" being an absence of a higher power. And it's not claiming you can be only moral with God. In fact, I believe the exact opposite. Religion has absolutely no bearing on morality, some might even say religion is responsible for a lot of immorality.

If you have a "belief," you have a religion - that's how I look at it. An Atheist isn't a "non-believer" - quite the contrary. Just like you quoted: Atheists "believe" that humanity is on its own...and that makes perfect sense when you look at it from a certain angle. Some might even say humanity is its own God.

Can I prove there is a God? No, but that wasn't my point. I'm simply saying Atheists have their position, and given certain propaganda, they can be just as fanatical as the devout. Neither side can prove anything; but given our scientific understanding of reality and consciousness, Atheism is only marginally more realistic. This is mainly why some might view Atheism as just another religion with an agenda to push (especially with a billboard like this).

Anyway, I don't mean to rant, but I can't help but feel like one day we'll be seeing an Atheist on the corner next to the crazy preacher man, holding a sign saying "There is no God!"

As far as God goes, I'm on the fence until someone shows me something spectacular.
My religion: creative curiosity.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
(Albert Einstein)

edit on 2-12-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I'd consider myself Godly, not religious.

And I'm finding it hilarious how much flack I'm getting from my family for not raising my son with "Santa" in our house. I'm not supporting Coca-Cola's marketing endeavors from the past. And the celebration of the solstice is Pagan, so Christians have some explaining to do!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Just for balance I made this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b30e46598cd.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm an atheist but I can't stand people pushing their beliefs on others whichever way round it is.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think there is a difference between a "soft" athiest and a "hard" athiest.

I fall into a soft athiest style agnosticism..meaning I find religion rubbish, however, I do enjoy pondering a greater order in the universe, some paranormal theories, etc...however, I simply do not know the unknowable...still fun to ponder.

a hard athiest will use athiesm as a religion...they demand no god, they demand no ghosts, they demand a bunch of other stuff based strictly on a belief.

the hard athiests give athiesm a bad name. heh.

I will challenge religion whenever possible of course...religion is a statement of "we do not know, therefore we know"..the very basis of any and all religions is preposterous and an insult to intelligence..however, personal spirituality and the nobel goal of trying to understand (perhaps fruitlessly) your dynamic and role in the greater universe is not just rational to me, but encouraged...
however, this role may lead you to having a concept of life, death, various paranormal considerations...or simply trying to make life best for your fellow lifeforms down here by giving away sandwiches or helping out a hurt cat..

A soft athiest finds little problem in holding some spiritualistic aspects in their life, to quest for getting a glimpse of the unknown if possible, and to even pray (just not praying to any specific being...however, a meditative style energy raising..because it feels nice)..a hard athiest typically has been jaded by some religion and is now simply rebelling against losing santa again...give them a decade or so and they will suddenly find religion again and become a loudmouth on how athiesm is the lie of satan or some bull.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Funny, I just noticed a similar picture. Wonder if it's related?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/012c3614080a.jpg[/atsimg]

Billboard Proclaiming Jesus' Return

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I love the atheist billboard the Christians are allowed to praise god and go on and on and on why can't the atheist get a share? Kinda hypocritical to not let them share in the holiday season?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Haven't you been paying attention for the past 300 years? Christians are the only ones that are allowed to get offended about things. Everyone else is just target practice for the Chruch's militant societal moral control issues.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

Oh right I forgot that instead of burning people alive as heretics and witches they just throw temper tantrums about how everyone is picking on them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join