It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Newly Discovered Reason to Avoid Fast Food and Popcorn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

A Newly Discovered Reason to Avoid Fast Food and Popcorn

[url=http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/01/chemicals-in-fast-food-wrappers-show-up-in-human-blood.aspx]articles.mercola.com[/u rl]

Perfluoroalkyls, which are chemicals used to keep grease from leaking through fast food wrappers, are being ingested by people through their food and showing up as contaminants in blood.

Perfluoroalkyls are stable, synthetic chemicals that repel oil, grease, and water. They are used in surface protection treatments and coatings for packages.

The specific chemicals studied were polyfluoroalkyl phosphate esters (PAPs),
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-12-2010 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Something to be mindful of if you eat microwave popcorn and/or fast food.

Hopefully this will spawn more studies of how chemicals from packaging and other items are as easily consumed as the garbage that they put in our food.

This is a much larger problem that has been communicated to the public. Plastic bottles sitting in the sun have been shown to breakdown and are consumed. The same with cans.

Your vehicle, when sitting in the sun is a box of poison. I have a friend who is a plastics engineer and he will not get into his car when its hot. He starts the car, rolls down the windows and gets out for a few minutes. Ask him why and he will tell you that the plastic and leather treatments used into todays vehicles have been shown to break down when in a hot state and emit unhealthy gases. Your dash board and seats are emitting poison when locked and its best to clear the air out prior to getting in. Also a good idea to get a window screen and crack the windows.

articles.mercola.com...

There is a lot more of this incidental poison we are injesting on a daily basis than we know about.

[url=http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/01/chemicals-in-fast-food-wrappers-show-up-in-human-blood.aspx]articles.mercola.com[/u rl]
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-12-2010 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
And of course, the counter argument:

It tastes really freaking good.

Which do you think will win out?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Oh no..
Now I need to go and think about this too!
Even if I eat my tomatoes I get cancer

You can die/get sick of everything today mate. You just need to dig deep enough to find it.
Stop it, and live your life, then it wont hurt you.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
And of course, the counter argument:

It tastes really freaking good.

Which do you think will win out?

mmmmmmmmm.....double cheeseburger.

It is sooo easy to get fast food....and sooo hard to find and "good" food fast. million dollar idea...organic fast food (and not all tofu junk...real food)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Fast food only seems to taste good because we're conditioned to believe so, imo. I was a fast-food junkie until about 2002. It was difficult to stop the addiction, initially, but after getting over the hump the sight and taste of junk food repulses me. It seriously doesn't taste like food to me. It doesn't look like food. It looks like artificial crap, and tastes like it, too. Who wants to pay $12 for a popcorn these days anyways? The choice is most easy in my circumstance, as I just use torrents to watch whatever I want commercial free.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
How does one avoid popcorn? I am pelted by it all the time. From children, cats and mongeese. I am so popcorn-trodden that I am broke down. Please help!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
To be honest I don't even really know why or how people can eat that junk anyway. I was forced to eat burger king a little while back, because there was nothing else open and I'd just come home from england on a very long flight..I had a burger, and geezus..it was like eating MUSH! How can that taste good? There is nothing to it, no nutrients and it just melts in your mouth (in a bad way). I felt so sick afterwards..And I know there are people who eat that kind of thing every day..how do they do it?

I suppose this will just be another reason to avoid fast food...but as someone pointed out, people seem to really like the taste (why I do not know) so they will just keep on eating it no matter what health risks are brought to light. Why else would they be so popular? Personally I think it should be illegal to sell such waste to the public. If you want to go and actually make something so awful in your own home, by all means do so..but I don't think food chains should be allowed to sell such garbage. This is just another reason why.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

yes!! i have been saying this for years!!!! a fast food drive thru type place w all fast healthy options! none of the processed stuff! it would be great for america!!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Thanks, I didn't know about PAPs in popcorn packaging. I don't eat fast food.

Originally posted by thewanger
How does one avoid popcorn? I am pelted by it all the time. From children, cats and mongeese.
Ummmmm....

Duck a lot?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I have a friend who is a plastics engineer and he will not get into his car when its hot....

I worked as a chemist in the plastics industry. I can verify what this guy is saying. It is the plasticizers that are slowly evaporating. And believe me they are NOT nice.

Speaking of fast foods. One of the big problems is corporations add high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) to many foods. This increases obesity, diabetes, and at least for me carbohydrates such as (HFCS) caused my blood pressure to shoot through the roof over time.

Now there is another problem to watch out for. Spermicidal Corn.

A small California biotech company, Epicyte, in 2001 announced the development of genetically engineered corn which contained a spermicide which made the semen of men who ate it sterile. At the time Epicyte had a joint venture agreement to spread its technology with DuPont and Syngenta, two of the sponsors of the Svalbard Doomsday Seed Vault. Epicyte was since acquired by a North Carolina biotech company. Astonishing to learn was that Epicyte had developed its spermicidal GMO corn with research funds from the US Department of Agriculture, the same USDA which, despite worldwide opposition, continued to finance the development of Terminator technology, now held by Monsanto.

noblelie.com...

I live in North Carolina. For what it is worth, I fed my buck (billy goat) local corn during the drought a few years back. He had produced some very pretty kids the year before but produce NO kids, two years running. Last year I bought two more bucks. I Serviced my proven does with BOTH bucks. Again no babies, I then found out these young bucks had been feed local corn. So I will try again this year with a new buck who has NOT been raise on local corn. My sheep by the way were fine and produced lots of lambs during these same three years. - WIERD

Oh yes Corn is WIND POLLINATED:

Here is a University study, no doubt funded by Monsanto by about the subject.
Cross Pollination From Genetically Engineered Corn: Wind Transport And Seed Source

Many researchers report half distances, or the distance required for pollen to drop by half. Bateman (1942) reported a distance of 3.77 meters (m), and that cross-pollination dropped by 99 percent over a distance of 12 to 15 m. Hodgson (1949) reported a half distance of 8.25 m, while Jones and Newell (1948) reported half distance of 47 m.

47m is about 155 feet. Given how far visible yellow pine pollen travels to gum up my car's finish that seems a bit short. It also does not take into account hills, high winds and dust devils, a rather prominent feature in my neck of the woods.

This is an in the field study:

Blowing in the Wind
VPIRG collected corn from 12 farms in Vermont and had the kernels analyzed for genetic contamination by the Illinois Crop Improvement Association laboratory in Champaign, Illinois.

Results: One of the samples tested was positive for contamination for the CRY 1AB gene. The presence of this gene indicates contamination from Bt corn pollen. The low level detected indicates the contamination resulted from drift rather than contaminated seed. No samples tested positive for presence of GMO corn engineered for Roundup tolerance.

Because pollen from GMO crops such as corn and grass can drift hundreds of yards offsite or miles in the case of insect pollinated crops, the risk of contamination to non-GMO crops increases with every planting....

Another example of wind blown particles:

The most visible evidence of how dry the 1930s became was the dust storm. Tons of topsoil were blown off barren fields and carried in storm clouds for hundreds of miles...

The impact of the Dust Bowl was felt all over the U.S. During the same April as Black Sunday, 1935, one of FDR's advisors, Hugh Hammond Bennett, was in Washington D.C. on his way to testify before Congress about the need for soil conservation legislation. A dust storm arrived in Washington all the way from the Great Plains. As a dusty gloom spread over the nation's capital and blotted out the sun, Bennett explained, "This, gentlemen, is what I have been talking about." Congress passed the Soil Conservation Act that same year. www.livinghistoryfarm.org...

HMMMMmmmmm
Dust from the Great Plains travels hundreds of miles OVER the Appalachian Mountains all the way to DC and yet much lighter corn pollen only travel s from 10 to 150 feet??? Am I missing something here? yes I understand the 24 hr viability problem, but a 10 mph wind is still going to travel 5 to 10 miles in an hour.

top topics

join