It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would YOU Give Up to Save America?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Much has been made in the main stream media of the fights over what to cut back in American government spending, and the fact that the politicians in Washington can't agree as to what would need to be cut back in order to reduce Government spending.

Republicans want lower taxes for Corporate America and the rich, and less spending on social programs, while Democrats want higher taxes for the rich with few (if any) cuts in spending on social programs, even extending unfunded programs such as unemployment benefits.

The real solution to this problem, is that BOTH parties won't get what they want. Taxes will eventually HAVE to be raised, and social spending will HAVE to be cut back as well, not one or the other, similar to what countries in Europe have done to address their debt and deficit issues.

CNN is reporting that unless something is done (and quickly) EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR that the US Government brings in will go to Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and debt payments within 15 years. There will be NO MONEY for ANYTHING ELSE.

My question to you, looking from the outside in (I live in Canada) would be this

What would you be willing to give up to save America?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I would be willing to give up the War on Terror, Federal Reserve, Free trade agreements, rule by Democrats and Republicans, and the Patriot Act. I would not be willing to give up any more rights, or money in the form of manipulation, fees or taxes.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Me? Nothing because I am not American and I have no sympathy for America.

What would I do to save Latvia?
Well if it dies in natural death - by submerging with other nations, countries by the time then I guess I'd do nothing.
If it was invaded by other country's army or someone purposely tried to destroy my country from within by violent means and terror against civilians - I'd give my life for my fatherland.
Economically - I doubt that it's possible - name country, nation that have been destroyed economically.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'd be willing to give up the US government, they seem to screw up everything good in our lives

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'll give up every single government program.

The clowns who cry and whine about losing them wouldnt even notice their absence. Most of those same clowns dont even know what they're for or think they do something they never did.

This debt could be erased in an hour if half of these morons would just man up and take a chance.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
50% defense cut

my moral indignation at the prospect of mary-j being a legal taxed substance

the same moral indignation about regulated and taxed prostitution in areas

a 2% FICA tax (I currently pay no taxes due to not making enough)

10 hours a week of employment to help create more demand for employees so they can make something verses nothing.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
As im not from the USA, i cant really say, but what i would give up if i were an american is your PRESIDENT, i would give him to the dogs or lions or anything just to get rid of him..
as for the above post, i may have taken you wrong so correct me if i am but are you actually saying you have no sympathy for americans and meaning it? i think its the greedy, corrupt and probably satan worshipping government thats the problem not the general public.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'd be willing to get rid of all the useless gov't jobs created by a black hole bureaucracy. that would save a lot. Maybe we hold off on Black projects for a year or two....that would save a lot.

and does it not say, in the constitution that political figures like senators should only be paid the same wage as a GI on the frontline ($23,000...vs. $2.3 mil) that would save a lot.

maybe if obama didn't go on vacations all the time at $50,000 a day (marthas vineyard) that would save a lot.

i'd be willing to get rid of those things

the list could go on and on

but i gotta go to work (i'd be willing to get rid of that too, if it would help america :lol

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Not a damn thing! They made their bed, they can sleep in it.
2nd line

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I still dont understand why you all havent just come to Canada yet.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by machines4200

because u folks don't have
baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolet.
well ..... not in the same retrospect we
have here. Plus the fact that I don't find
a maple leaf appealing at all.
no offense

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I'd be willing to give up unecessary wars and even hang any bastards and bitches who claim we must have more of the same.

Oh, and I'd be willing to take from Alan Simpson all of his government teat sucking benefits, since he is part of that "greediest of generations".
Hope you die soon, Alan, you know, for the sake of a balanced budget, you twit.
edit on 1-12-2010 by kyred because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by machines4200

because u folks don't have
baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolet.
well ..... not in the same retrospect we
have here. Plus the fact that I don't find
a maple leaf appealing at all.
no offense

You're right. instead we have free health care, longer life expectancy and we can only use grade A meat in our foods. I wont even get into the differences in governments...since ours isnt planning on wiping us out.

Aside from the fact that baseball is one of the most boring sports aside from golf and curling.... a maple leaf is much more intriguing then 50 stars and a few strips. lol it took me 5 minutes to draw my flag in grade school lol.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
What would you be willing to give up to save America?

The entire U.S. military. Every single dollar spent on it. The Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, etc.

If we get invaded, then we can organize our men into an army, fight them, and disband again. That's how it worked in the Revolution and 1812 and we did just fine.

As the Afghans have shown in fighting off the most advanced military in the world, there isn't an army in the world that can take on an armed and dedicated population. If they're dedicated, they will prevail. If they're not dedicated to the defense of their homeland, they deserve to be annexed and clearly don't really mind it anyway.

As a libertarian I tend to be against social programs and would cut them too, but I'd much rather see them than our military. I feel like every tax dollar I pay adds to my karma because of what our military does. I would like to have that weight taken off me.

edit on 1-12-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I am willing to give up a lot of government, extensive welfare, food stamps, indigent expenses, etc. I am willing to give up Pelosi, Reed, Frank, etc. I am willing to give up being controlled by the federal government and would accept ruling by local government which is more aware of circumstances and needs of the general population. I am willing to give up the extensive salaries, retirement, health care, security expense and kickbacks of our "leaders". I am willing to work and support my family and I would willing give up my burden to support others who don't. I give where charity is needed and so, I willingly give up my responsibility for those I don't want to be responsible for anymore. I would love to willingly give up the anger that has crossed the nation because of P.C. This can go on and on. God Love Us All

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Well I am having to take a break from my JA-WL thread.....

You asked a good question...

NOT an inch more to the powers that be....

I have thought a lot about what I would do as president...

The TSA is fired...

Our greatest weapon is liberty, not security.. Those that try to argue any other way... well they are trading liberty for security... we all know the rest of the quote

The reality of protecting our borders is in and of itself more of a false flag... Allow american citizens to carry firearms on airplanes... I believe the problem would take care of itself. Back it up with we do not negotiate with terrorist we're fine....

I will not give up gitmo or even the patriot act and it successors...

why you ask...

Well a few bankers...

will get to visit gitmo as guest of the us government... And guess what.. no lawyers, no trials, no freedom... The charges start at treason and include mutiny.... (hey its gitmo enjoy)

They get water boarding specials included in their guest packages...

The budget---

can be fixed...

First put all elected officials on the Iaccoca Plan... one dollar a year...

No pensions for elected officials... cancel all the previous recipients... Those in jail for crimes (elected officials) get nothing and have to pay it all back...

Next send the IRS to the drug lords and collect back taxes for all the drugs they imported...

third... reorganize they us military.....

you should be able to shave about thirty percent and have a deadlier military...

forth...

Total amnesty for all illegal immigrants who can prove they have worked and lived in the US for ten years...

The IRS will be greeting them right before they get their papers making them US citizens.... BACK TAXES...

Tariff matching or US production cost matching...

ex- japan add lets say 20,000 dollars tax to the cost of a car... Well all japanese vehicle products are matched at that level...

ex- it cost say about ten dollars to make your computer in Taiwan... dell ships it to the us...

The cost to produce it for labor is about 10 cent an hour... lets say it takes about three hours to make it...
30 cents to produce Taiwan- us cost would be 21.75
well before it can be released off the docks.... they must pay for the full US labor cost per unit... they have to pay 21.45 tariff per unit.... lets say there are 10,000 units...

The idea is to make them pay for the full cost of us labor they saved by going overseas.... no if and or buts....

those should stabilize the us economy...

Well I am done ranting

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Politicians who do not serve the people, lobbyists who pay those politicians, corporations who outsource jobs to foreign countries, bankers who mismanage our economy, wars that we cannot win.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I would happily give up extending tax cuts for the extremely rich 2% of the population. They have prospered exponentially in the last 20-30 years while the middle class is rapidly declining and the poor are increasing in numbers. It is time they paid their fair share of the debt burden and the cost of government.

In the 1950's corporations paid far more in taxes than they do now and nobody was moving their companies overseas. They saw the justice in paying to support the system that was making them rich.

As the average American gets poorer and poorer there will be an ever-greater demand for the social safety nets we now have. We should not abandon the many in placating the demands of the few.

When an individual family cuts their budget they cut out the extraneous expenses and extravagant items. They generally do not cut out food, adequate shelter or a little clothing. Paying billions to support the lifestyles of the rich and famous are an extravagance we can no longer afford.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I would be willing to give up the lives of each and every politician in the United States, along with each and every law/policy that is not specifically authorized by the Constitution.

I'm not sure how I would manage every day without politicians, but it's a sacrifice I am willing to make.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
isnt that nice, why should the average joe give, when the people of power made you into this condition.
their the one who should give

<<   2 >>

join