It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Should Watch This Short Documentary On North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
It is called Inside North Korea. It is conducted by National Geographic.

Here is the five part youtube link:

Inside North Korea

If you have Netflix it is on there as well.

The first thing that came to me after watching the movie is that their leader is a clinically insane megalomaniac on the scale of some of the worst in all of history and the worst in the worlds current state. Obviously, the people who put up with this are completely brainwashed.

I had heard this before, but never gave it much merit due to previous exaggerations by media outlets that have been known to stretch facts and bend the rules of journalism for one reason or another.

I had skipped over this documentary many times, but thought in light of recent events it was worth it to get some perspective on what it may be like in this part of the world. I am glad I did.

The documentary crew disguises themselves as part of a medical humanitarian mission to help people stricken with cataracts. They perform over 1,000 surgeries to repair these peoples vision. They do not get very many opportunities to shoot outside the building where the medical procedures are being performed. The absolute control they impose over the crew is telling in and of itself. At the end of the film it shows the N. Koreans who had the surgery bandages taken off. Here is where the insanity is solidified in my mind. As anyone would be they are greatful for their vision. But the first person they go to to thank and give literal praise to is their #ing "Great General and Great Leader." It, in my opinion, is sickening. I am sure some at least gave thanks to the doctor for his most generous acts, but it was not shown. Just person after person crying and kneeling before some wretched picture of this lunatic on the wall.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

I usually reserve judgement before I am certain of something. Meaning if I dont see it, hear it or talk to someone with first hand accoutns I try to hold off on opinion based on hearesay.

As per my beliefs that I have come to since 9/11 I believe the United States should have nothing to do with foreign matters. I still believe this. BUT, after watching this documentary it is shocking to me that something has not been done to eraticate this nation of its parasitic leader. While I wish no harm to the crippled people of that country I believe something should be done to its leadership. The leadership should be removed. I fear if it is not, then eventually they will strike.

You don't have statues and people worshipping you without some grand idea of yourself. It appears to me he wants to be known as the leader that united the Koreas.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Hi,
Don't be angry at them for the way the react.
It's sad, but they are who and what they are.
You don't know that this is wrong.

Because you could look at this documentary and notice how this is an American Documentary,
North Korea Hates America, and Visa Versa,
And they pointed out alot of horrible/bad things in the country.
America hates Communisim.

How about don't swallow an idea after one vision.
Good documentary, a good watch, but basing opinions on it isn't a good idea

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47
Hi,
Don't be angry at them for the way the react.

Dont be angry at who?

It's sad, but they are who and what they are.
You don't know that this is wrong.

I know when people worship a leader that isnt elected its wrong. I also believe that worshipping humans is misguided in general.

Because you could look at this documentary and notice how this is an American Documentary,

so?

North Korea Hates America,

clearly.

and Visa Versa,

I have never heard of one American leader, person or anyone say they "hate" N. korea.

And they pointed out alot of horrible/bad things in the country.

Indeed, they did.

America hates Communisim.

This isnt 1955 as the N. Koreans would have their people believe. We do hundreds of billions of dollars in business with the biggest communist state on earth. China. So hate is a bit strong in todays time.

How about don't swallow an idea after one vision.

How about offer one reason not to think of this leadership as utterly disturbing and not deserving of the attention its getting. They should be taken out. Thats my opinion. Id love to have something different. If my opinion is misguided then tell me why. Dont just tell me not to have it.

Good documentary, a good watch, but basing opinions on it isn't a good idea

Agreed.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

The absolute control they impose over the crew is telling in and of itself.

They said in the doc itself, that N.Korea is trying to be a independent nation.

At the end of the film it shows the N. Koreans who had the surgery bandages taken off. Here is where the insanity is solidified in my mind. As anyone would be they are greatful for their vision. But the first person they go to to thank and give literal praise to is their #ing "Great General and Great Leader."

This is why it seemed you were angry, at either the people or the leader.

It, in my opinion, is sickening. I am sure some at least gave thanks to the doctor for his most generous acts, but it was not shown. Just person after person crying and kneeling before some wretched picture of this lunatic on the wall.

You're calling him a Lunny, so yeah i just assume that after this one American Documentary that you have concluded he was a loony.

The reason i say America hates Communism, is well, history has shown it.
America is currently in S.Korea just to stop the spread of Communism.

The only problem with North Korea as a country, is the the leader is too head strong about being independant.
He doesn't allow foreign trade, which hurts the economy and the growth of the nation as a whole.
The leader isn't a loony, but if the people regard him as a great leader who are we to question it?
THEY ENJOY IT.
They have become a people that are so caught up with what we think is wrong, that they believe in it.
Yeah shame it is, but who can play cop and who are we to judge.
We have our own problems and they have theirs.
The world isn't perfect, and it seems nobody wants to fix their own mistakes before they start fixing others.

Sorry, a bit of a rant.

I just think that North Korea is a fine country with one problem.
They need to let the rest of the world in, and stop being paranoid.
That's what china did, thats why America and China are on good relations.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Sadly I've seen this documentary and it's a vivid picture of life in a terrible State, run by the incompetent for the insane. The North Koreans are denied the rights we take as granted, there is no other view than that of the State.
The clips where people have their sight restored and then go to give thanks to the Kim Jong Il is sickening, enough to drive you to tears. It's a terrifying vision of how things can go wrong when power is seized and taken away from the people.

My worst thoughts over this film is that this is exactly what those ruling over is in the so-called Western democracies are looking to bring it. Altruism has died in the West, public health is failing, the gap between the rich and poor has become unbridgeable, and the rights of the common man are dying a death by the day. The masses are kept bedazzled by unrealistic programming through the media, sports, and other gladiatorial-esque events.

We have been deceived by those in power, the New World Order is already here, the next steps will be the move to create the kind of townships we see in South Africa and across the world, with people turned out of their homes to live a basic subsistence level lifestyle, deprived of rights, healthcare, education, and jobs. The rich will live in protected compounds supported by guards who dare not rise up for fear of risking their improved lifestyle compared to the masses.

There will be no revolution to overthrow this sort of oppression because that would take force of arms, and the ordinary people would no longer have access to anything more than sharpened knives and sticks. Faced against the likes of intelligent weaponry they would be nothing more than walking corpses.

The saving grace is that many of us will be dead before the worst of the NWO comes to fruition, but our children and subsequent generations will bear the burden of this dystopian nightmare.

North Korea isn't the threat, North Korea is the roadmap for the NWO.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

So if your town has different views in life/politics/etc. and deems you a danger to the town's integrity, what would you do? What if that governing body of said town decides to put you and your entire family (immediate and extended) into a slave labor camp all because of your different views in life? You may shout and protest. But it is ignored. Your friends and neighbors turn a blind eye because they don't want their immediate and extended families to go with you. And so you and every related family member are stuck in a slave labor camp until the day you die with harsh conditions.

Could that town's beliefs and actions be based on a few and not the entire town? It is the "elite" who rule North Korea while the majority are under their thumbs. Ever thought about asking the majority of those North Koreans which would they prefer. I bet if they were shown option B (no dictatorship), they would choose it than be stuck where they are now. But they can't because the "elite" prevent them from knowing what is outside their country. Those that do find themselves and families disappear.

Based on your previous post, you accept their ways because their actions are unique and should be tolerated. I fail to see your point.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Thanks for this! I have always been intrigued by NK.

My favorite thing to do is wonder the streets on Google earth. Seeing only 10 or so black cars total on that major 12 lane freeway is so creepy.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

I am sure it is bad, but anglo american empire is responsible for gaza, what more can be said?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47

The absolute control they impose over the crew is telling in and of itself.

They said in the doc itself, that N.Korea is trying to be a independent nation.

All nations want independence. Oppressing your people is not the way to achieve that. Neither is projecting a false sense of prosperity, and threatening your neighbors.

At the end of the film it shows the N. Koreans who had the surgery bandages taken off. Here is where the insanity is solidified in my mind. As anyone would be they are greatful for their vision. But the first person they go to to thank and give literal praise to is their #ing "Great General and Great Leader."

This is why it seemed you were angry, at either the people or the leader.

Certainly there is anger in my post. Im human and I feel emotion, and when I see such utter bs such as what was displayed atthe end of that documentary anger for the people responsible did arise. Im not ashamed of that in any way. I would be more surprised if someone did not have some sort of emotional reaction to that scene. It was disturbing in every sense of the word. Did you have no emotional reaction to these people directing their gratitude to a picture of their leader on a wall who was not even in attendance?

It, in my opinion, is sickening. I am sure some at least gave thanks to the doctor for his most generous acts, but it was not shown. Just person after person crying and kneeling before some wretched picture of this lunatic on the wall.

You're calling him a Lunny, so yeah i just assume that after this one American Documentary that you have concluded he was a loony.

Yes, I am calling him a loony. I also called him a megalomaniac. It is plain as day. How many Americans do you think have pictures of the President on every wall of their home and none of their family. This is not a natural occurence. It is happened through brainwashing and fear. Once again it is plainly obvious he is both a lunatic and maniac. If you disagree say so. Id love to hear this guy defended.

The reason i say America hates Communism, is well, history has shown it.
America is currently in S.Korea just to stop the spread of Communism.

Indeed America was there to stop the spread of communism. You said America hates North Korea. I contest the average American does not give a hoot about N. Korea or communism. They hate us because after we kicked out Japan in WW2 they wanted to reunite the Koreas by force and we didn't let them. So the leadership hates us and that sentiment has obviously stayed with the people since that time.

The only problem with North Korea as a country, is the the leader is too head strong about being independant.
He doesn't allow foreign trade, which hurts the economy and the growth of the nation as a whole.
The leader isn't a loony, but if the people regard him as a great leader who are we to question it?
THEY ENJOY IT.

Whos to question it?
Thats a gross sentence. Anyone should be able to question anything. That includes a lunatic leader of an oppressed people. I find that kind of thinking complete opposition of what it means to be free.

They have become a people that are so caught up with what we think is wrong, that they believe in it.
Yeah shame it is, but who can play cop and who are we to judge.

I can't tell you who you are, but I can tell you who I am. And I am a person willing to let others know what is going on in this small part of the world. Its simply sad. It should be known by the rest of the world. Pressure can then be applied to get things to change. Im not advocating all out war with the people, but the spread of information lik ewhat is shown in the documentary is not anything but a good thing.

We have our own problems and they have theirs.
The world isn't perfect, and it seems nobody wants to fix their own mistakes before they start fixing others.

Im aware of our own problems. But luckily we humans can deal with more than one thing at a time. Im not for Team America World police. Thats not what I am advocating. Just the spread of knowledge. People should know this is what is over there. The problems are mental in ways most of us probably do not understand. I know I didnt realize this kind of thing was happening. So when wwe here about N. Korea decided to launch another burst of rounds on S. Korea...we can understand why and that most likely it will continue to happen because of the mentality of the leader and that leader has a firm grip on the mind of the ordinary citizen.

I just think that North Korea is a fine country with one problem.

How? How is it "fine?"

They need to let the rest of the world in, and stop being paranoid.

So they are not fine...Being paranoid is a mental incapacity, a mental disorder to be exact and based on deeper emotional problems. You can't be fine and paranoid.

In my opinion nothing will change until they have a change of leadership.
edit on 1-12-2010 by open_eyeballs because: to fix quotes

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

What does your opinion about gaza have anything to do with the OP?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I actually find the BEST documentary to be here...

VBS: VICE GUIDE

He travels to lots of places, but this was the most "real" documentary about NK.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

awesome possum..thanks bro!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

lol...

"so your just sitting there eating your matter going ok. Ive just come to crazy land.."

wow...these folks have lost it. man o man...this is shameful and pathetic..i truly feel for the inhabitants of this land

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Just finished the Vice guide, it was awesome thanks!

Any interested should watch it. Its more your average Joe's view.

top topics

join