It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BitTorrent Based DNS To Counter US Domain Seizures

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

BitTorrent Based DNS To Counter US Domain Seizures

torrentfreak.com

To limit the power governments have over domain names, a group of enthusiasts has started working on a revolutionary system that can not be influenced by a government institution, or taken down by pulling the plug on a central server. Instead, it is distributed by the people, with help from a BitTorrent-based application that people install on their computer.

According to the project’s website, the goal is to “create an application that runs as a service and hooks into the hosts DNS system to catch all requests to the .p2p TLD while passing all other request cleanly through. Requests fo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
LOL!

I recently posted the following thread, in which DHS was shutting down and seizing web-sites without a warrant:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now it appears that a group of hackers are already in the mix of a countermeasure to take on big brother!

Some folks may love this, others may condemn them, but if it's a sign of anyone standing up to the thugs and criminals from the DHS, then I must admit to having a wry smile upon my face.

torrentfreak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Love it, absolutely LOVE IT!!

I think it's very interesting future we have ahead of us, with governments continuously trying to catch up to the average computer whizzkid out there... of which there are millions!

Thanks for the giggle DD ... another wry smile here too

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I was thinking of back in the day when alternative DNS servers were around, most of those didn't become economically viable so died out, a couple are still around.

Alternative DNS root (Wikipedia)

Looks like the torrent set will have a go at their own DNS root servers, downside is they will still face the same problems the earlier ones did, most ISPs will not subscribe to them, some domains under the alternative DNS will conflict with ICANN, and Google and the rest of the search engines will never give any kind of page rank to a domain under an alternative (non-ICANN) DNS.

Maybe for hack or torrent related sites it's not a big deal but the commercial and advertising crowd won't be attracted and hence, the system will not be economically viable.

Worth a shot though, I'd love to see what they come up with as far as TLDs under their system.

edit on 30-11-2010 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
My ISP already slows down all p2p traffic during certain times, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard for any government to make them shut it off altogether

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I can care less about the sites that dhs has pulled. The fact that they pulled them without judicial oversight is what I care about! Big brother is getting too pushy and needs to get a MELVIN to humble him. I hope the hackers teach a long term lesson!
I noticed there are more replies than posts. Sad that people are letting the fact that "THEY" are watching scare them to silence. I for one will not remain silent. I will speak my mind to all and to hell with them if they think because they collect a government paycheck that they are gods.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Great idea that will give all the same protection needed to defeat the cabal
It's about time to eradicate the controllers. I guess we will all be branded as terrorists.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

The funny thing about this is if everyone did what they absolutely loved doing, they would do it for free. No amount of money required when each person invests their own time and equipment into a project. The people can always undermine the government, because simply they are only in power because of money holding it all together. If there was no money or the money was worthless people would not work for the government, and a new government of the people would quickly take it's place. Each person would be contributing for free, out of love for their country, freedom and liberty. Imagine a world such as what these hackers are attempting. Where everyone gave their time to something beneficial to others, to solve some problem, and they did it because it was the right thing to do. No central funding required.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It'll be interesting to see what comes of it for sure. Though personally I haven't a clue about this kind of thing. I wouldn't know where to begin to be able to use it..

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I always said this would happen the further the Government push restrictions then the more they are going to end up pushing themselves out of the loop It's going to get to the stage where everything worthwhile on the internet will be private, anonymous and encrypted. There is a simple pattern here every time a company shuts something down they make it worse for themselves it started from napster onwards and I can't ever see it stopping personally.

I think the smartest thing the Governments can do is just keep the net how it is that way they can at least keep an eye on things if Darknets start springing up more than they already are the Government won't be able to much more than shop on ebay.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Wireless peer to peer is the answer! We create an alternative free internet with no ISPs or backbone etc. all you need is a wireless antenna and the software to handle the routing. Check out this thread on it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Get a T1 line and set up a server so people can dial in with their modems.

Have software that will only accept incoming calls from numbers within the State.

You've just created an internet within State boundaries that the Federal Government has no authority over.

StateNet's. You would find States would protect such a venture as they would be able to monitor sales from stores on it and actually collect State taxes. They may actually fight the Fed to keep their noses out of it.

This is where the next big boom will be. DE-globalization.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Just little technical advice: almost every Linux user is familiar with /etc/hosts file. It is simple list of IPs/hosts names pairs. Under "normal" circumstances this file is asked before DNS server lookup so you can put banned hosts names and relevant IPs into this file and access banned sites as usually. Good news is that the same file can be found even under windows in well hidden folder:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
This is not really "adult" solution but nice&simple temporal trick.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I have the same vision and its a great idea. When I was volunteering after katrina, everyone did what they loved to do and noone got payed. If you liked to cook you cooked, if you liked computers you hooked up the internet, if you liked washing dishes you washed dishes, if you liked music you played music.

As far as the real wold not sure how that would work. Would someone drill oil just cause they liked to? I dont know.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I love this

S&F for this thread!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is the nature of reality. The best and brightest are the ones not encumbered within the system and within the paradigm. There has never been a way to stop hackers or free data-ers because they are smarter than the others. That is one reason why the government usually offers lucrative positions to the hackers that they do catch.

There will be a way around anything they manage to put into place.

Software manufacturers have tried (unsuccessfully) to put protections into place against piraters including hardware encryption (dongles) that crackers have had little trouble getting around. In many cases the people putting out the cracks are actually the programmers of the software lol....

Jaden

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The "P2P" DNS architecture would unfortunately have a serious flaw, it's open to poisoning. DNS poisoning is a threat to DNS root servers now, imagine what it would be like when any P2P connected client can propagate or update DNS info. They'll have to make that their number one security concern.

Hopefully this will remain a truly open P2P DNS framework, and not turn into a client-war.

It's still not a new idea, been around for a good while, the P2P aspect puts a new twist on it though. The problem still remains that if it doesn't catch on, or too few are participating, then you may as well use your server's IP address as your site name. And no search engine will index sites who's domains come from an alternative DNS system, that means no SEO, no ads, and search engine listings, etc.

To become economically viable and sustainable, you'd need:
* P2P based DNS (in the works)
* P2P based search engine (indexing all the alternative DNS domains)
* P2P advertising (w/o ad revenue most will never bother with this, and it'll die off just as all the previous alt. DNS systems).

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
HAHAHAHA...Ever since I've posted this, my PC has been under constant attack, and "processing and fixing threats"...

Coincidence?

Me thinks somebody is not too happy about this!

So if ole DD stops posting, you all will know why. lol

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The backbone is run by the government.
all traffic / DNS is monitored
They can limit and filter anyway they wish.

IT person for 25 years.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
And in latest developments on this front:

Avoiding US Censorship, Torrent Sites May Flee To China

“Countries like China censor for political reason, US with COICA will censor for copyright and commercial reason. It’ll be a chilling parallel put into serious question how the US should still be in charge of the much of the internet infrastructure like the root DNS, or how US can continue to claim as the model example for free-speaking democracy.”

Where China’s censorship is mostly fed by the Government’s concerns, in the US it’s the copyright holders who fuel the fire. Interestingly, the authorities are quite open about the fact that last weekend’s seizures were a direct response to complaints from private companies.

Full Article:

torrentfreak.com...

LOL, you know we've really hit bottom when we are going to CHINA for "freedom". haha

edit on 4-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: typo

new topics

top topics

join