It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So... Whatever Happened to that Story about the "Planet that Disappeared"??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Today, in conversation with a friend,
he said something that made us both
stop and pause...

He jokingly said,
"Perhaps Assange will leak out the truth
about the mystery planet Gliese 581g and
all that weirdness, while he's at it."

We both laughed for a minute, and then
looked at each other and said, "Yeah, what
about that, anyway... whatever came of that?"

I know on the surface-
"Wow! New planet! Oh, thought to be
found, oops, nothing to see here after all, move on, folks..."

"Yeah, we thought it was only 20 light years away, we made artist's
renditions of what it looks like..."

"Yeah, we even hypothesized it would support life..."

"However, apparently, we were wrong. It doesn't exist. We can't find it,
even with our advanced telescopes."

"Move along now. Look at these new discovery, the center of the Milky Way,
which we are confident about hypothesizing about, with the same technology that we were so
confident about finding Gliese 581g with and telling the world about."

I'm sorry, something just seems askew with this.

Not even really a whisper about this monumentous "blunder" since October.

Thoughts?

I am not a huge astronomy nut, I am a backyard astronomer only, but I think this is really odd.

Perhaps someone has better knowledge and insight into this than I and can shed better light on it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Well there is only so much data you can do from telescopes . You need a rover to atleast fly by if not land for more accurate data . I believe there planning such missions for glise 581 g to verify if life is there. Unless they already know ..

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Didn't the nuts of the world just complete plasma rockets to reach Mars in 39 days? Either they're telling you where they will be when TSHTF, or an alien invasion will come from that planet. Just opinions but, a rover with these rockets could reach that planet quick. 39 days to Mars, so how ever far that is plus the difference to the new planet. Avataria aways us 20 light years away.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

They came out and said that they could not find it, though.

The astronomers stated that they had made an error, and that they were mistaken, that they could not find a trace of the planet, though apparently, in an effort to cover themselves, they couldn't prove "it didn't exist" either...

It was a very strange statement.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
is there a site that deny's the existence of this planet??
or is it all jut hear-say?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Reminds me of the ambient light seen on the edge of our galaxy that was observed for 100 days then vanished back in 2006. Never hear about that anymore. here is a link.

newscenter.lbl.gov...

If this planet survives the next 100 years our children will learn more than all the people have from the last 1000 years. I just hope when i die, My energy gets to travel through space and have infinite knowledge.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by billb1215

Here's One article in the Guardian dissecting the entire thing, entitled:

"The Mystery of the Disappearing Planet"

www.guardian.co.uk...

It quotes the science community in addition to the commentary.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ReaPErofSIN

i'm your first star ever, yaaaaa

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thank you for the article.
Is it possible the planet mentioned (Gliese581g) is behind the star, and thus our view is obstructed??
maybe in a few days, or years the mystery planet will come back into view??

Or are they keeping this secret for some reason?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by billb1215

I have no clue...

That is what is so strange,
and why I am asking.

It seems very odd that this was
announced, to me this is a huge event,
a planet that is "earth" like, 20 light
years away, hyped up as such,
then... an "oops"???

Then, nobody follows up at all
on this.

It seems to have just fallen on the wayside,
off to other matters, like this was nothing.

Huh?!?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
First of all, "astronomers" is a LOT of people.

As i recall, a research group announced the discovery of another planet in a known planetary system named Gliese 581. Then, another research group tried to replicate the original readings and calculations (because planet-finding is very little telescope watching and a lot of number crunching) but they couldn't support the original claim.

So now, we are waiting, because most of the detection methodes today take some time, some even years, to "scientifically" confirmate a positive detection.

It's not that it desapeared, we are just not sure it exist, WE NEED MORE DATA!

So, just, be patient.
I assure you, there's a LOT of people working hard to find out, that's how "astronomers" are...
Peace.
Drk

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Thanks for posting~

I am sorry, I just find it odd.

Usually, scientists are very cautious about proclaiming a discovery of
such magnitude (especially a planet, and one that is "earth like"-
one that they have even had artist renderings made of)
without being pretty darn sure of what they have.

That is what I find so bizarre about this.

They didn't verify it with others before charging out to tell the world?

Strange for science-heads.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Somebody should find out how long it takes to fly one of those "plasma rockets" to this planet...
If its anything under 20 years or so, i might start to ponder the feasibility of our "elites" escaping there when the SHTF. That theory got me thinking a bit.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

First off the original press release by the team who announced it contained the words "if confirmed". That team led by steven vogt is the most prolific planet hunting team on earth. They have discovered over 350 of the 500 or so exoplanets we know about.

Steven vogt is a planet hunting genius. Out of all those planets they announced as candidates they have not made 1 single retraction. All planet candidates announced by them have been independantly confirmed by other astronomers . Thats an exceptional record for the amount they have announced. Theres been a few retractions by other teams in the past but none by them.

Vogts' team used 2 sets of data - 1 set from the HiRES keck telescope & 1 set from HARPS european telescope in geneva. From the combined data they claim to have extracted a signal for gliese g

Francesco Pepes team in geneva used 1 set of data from the HARPS european telescope only and said they couldnt see or extract a signal for gliese g .

Vogts team claim you need the combined data to detect it. Also they have their own ways & means of extracting signals from noise. They are the proven best in the world at it.

The problem with this one is the astronomers are right on the limit of detection capabilities from ground based telescopes. I would guess in about a year this will be cleared up and we will definitley know if it exists or not.
edit on 1-12-2010 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by billb1215
Somebody should find out how long it takes to fly one of those "plasma rockets" to this planet...
If its anything under 20 years or so, i might start to ponder the feasibility of our "elites" escaping there when the SHTF. That theory got me thinking a bit.

A quick back of the envelope calculation suggests that the time to fly that plasma rocket to Gliese 581 would be something like 90,000 years.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkstar2

I'm calculating something a bit less than 359 thousand years that plasma rocket will take to reach Gliese 581.

Lets round the figures to the side of logic for the plasma rocket.

It takes 39 days to travel the 35 million miles to Mars (it's closest to Earth) so rounded up it covers nearly 900,000 miles in a day. A light year is 5,865,696,000,000 miles, roughly 5.9 trillion miles. Times 20 (light years away) is roughly 118 trillion miles, or 118,000,000,000,000, divided by 900,000 is roughly 131,111,111 days divided by 365.25 is 358,962.658 years or roughly 359 thousand years.

Of course the actual miles to Mars is the unmentioned variable so these figures could be off by a magnitude of over 700% since Mars' greatest distance from Earth is about 250 million miles away.

These numbers should raise an eyebrow as to just how large the U.S. National Debt really is if nothing else.

top topics

join