It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest Earthquake in 18 Years Shakes Up Long Island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This may be nothing or....a sign of things to come?? I hope not. Really!
I don't watch TV but is this even making the news???
I know a 3.9 isn't mighty big but considering all the anti-earthquake constructed buildings that encumber all the New York cities .....this could be devastating if continued.
Let's hope it was a once-in-a-decade type deal!

Biggest Earthquake in 18 Years Shakes Up Long Island
Tuesday, November 30, 2010

By Sarah Kate Kramer

A 3.9 magnitude earthquake rocked the New York City region earlier today.

The US Geological Survey says the tremor happened in the Atlantic Ocean, about 80 miles off the coast of Southhampton on Long Island around 10:45 this morning. The earthquake wasn't big enough to do any damage or hurt anyone, and the U.S. Coast guard said there is no threat of a tsunami. It was the biggest earthquake for our area in 18 years.

Neither the Southampton Police Department nor the Chamber of Commerce reported feeling any tremors. But two of WNYC's twitter followers reported feeling it in Brooklyn. Jonathan Berk, an editor, said he felt it while working at home in Ditmas Park. He told WNYC he was standing when he felt the floor move beneath his feet.

"It was a few seconds of mild shaking, not as regular as when a subway passes, and I don't usually feel the subway like that in my apartment."

Berk said it was the first earthquake he'd ever felt, and that it was fun, in retrospect.

www.wnyc.org...

edit on 11/30/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: added source link

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
the earth does what it wants whenever it wants however it wants

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by xalaran

Well that's reassuring. Thanks for that update!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
you have a link?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBrooklyn
you have a link?

Here.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Rare but not unheard of, good that it was not bigger. Seems like their have been more quakes in unusual areas lately.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Pyramid
2nd

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Does everyone on this website always go for the worst case scenario?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I felt it in smithtown long island, our house is a ¼ mile from railroad tracks , and it felt like a fright train going down the tracks

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by edgecrusher2199
Does everyone on this website always go for the worst case scenario?

Whose saying anything about worst case scenario?
Personally, I use this forum as a form of news. I don't watch TV and I only listen to classical (and Rock) radio stations so......call me old (new-age) fashion.

I rely on this forum to bring me up to date on things I deem important. I don't give a crap about Hollywood or what senator fornicated which intern so, UFOs, Earthquakes, Sun, Moon, Chemtrails all interest me.

I just wanted to know if this made MSM.
I wasn't taking head count to see who made it through!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

S & F.

Thank you for posting about this earthquake.

It just so happens that New York is located at one end of a 500-million-year-old San Andreas-style fault", called the "New York-Alabama Lineament" by geologists. The fault was first found in 1978 by magnetic mapping from an aerial perspective. (See link below).

This fault could have nothing to do with the 3.9 earthquake but I won't write it off just yet.

news.discovery.com...

Starblossom

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by edgecrusher2199

Most likely many do not go for worst case scenario. It may be kind of fun until it acutally happens that
is. Perhaps it's a distraction of sorts. Folks have been predicting things for eons. I don't think they are
about to stop now. With limited knowledge, how are we going to know what is real ( niburu etc.) and
what is an illusion? Perhaps our instincts will tell us when it's the calm before the storm.
Otherwise words from God are real but perhaps there are not that many who receive them. Perhaps it
is the spirit of discernment that lets us know when the messenger is for real and when someone is
saying something of an egotistical nature.
I think a lot of what we see and hear lately is just so much noise or the truth mixed with fiction.
The boy who cried wolf and chicken little did not get very good reviews. Look before you leap and tell
everybody something you have not even bothered to examine for yourself.
Just my simple perspective.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

______beforeitsnews/story/287/315/
Is this one in the same quake as the one off N.Y.???

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Thanks OP for bringing this to my attention. I watch all the earthquake threads. That's what first brought me to ATS.

This is an unusual quake because of its location. We can only hope that this isn't a precursor of things to come.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by njl51

Yes it is the one and the same and the article that you linked gives one a lot to think about. It was on top of a 7,000 foot cliff underwater. If it did crack the top of the cliff another quake might cause it to fall that 7,000 feet to the ocean floor and cause a huge tsunami, hitting Long Island.

Definitely one to keep an eye on.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by njl51

Yes it's the same one. Not too deep but still.................

And there was a huge CME eruption on the Sun today (Tues) which may be Earth bound. So we'll see in a few days whether we'll see/feel any affects from that flare.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Antoniastar

S & F.

Thank you for posting about this earthquake.

It just so happens that New York is located at one end of a 500-million-year-old San Andreas-style fault", called the "New York-Alabama Lineament" by geologists. The fault was first found in 1978 by magnetic mapping from an aerial perspective. (See link below).

This fault could have nothing to do with the 3.9 earthquake but I won't write it off just yet.

news.discovery.com...

Starblossom

Very interesting. Thanks!

Now if only we knew what makes these faults act up then maybe we can have some fair warning. Like animals seem to have.
Actually, I wonder how the animals up there were acting prior to this? I would like to read reports/blogs BEFORE this happened because the post-reports just aren't that interesting to me for some reason. I guess because there's room for doubt I s'pose.

Thanks for posting that link

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyGuru

Do you know if any of your friends/neighbors/relatives (or yourself) noticed their (your) pets acting up? Did anyone write about it prior to the quake do you know?

I think you're gonna be okay so stay safe and enjoy the holidays!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

You are very welcome! No problem.

Excellent thinking! I too want to know if animals on the East coast were acting out-of-character before the quake.

Some animals seem to be sensitive to earth changes. Thanks for reminding me.

If I find any news I'll post here.

Starblossom

new topics

top topics

join