It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nice going Republicans: Cut-off of jobless aid would lower economic growth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
While you bitch and moan, and are hell bent obsessed with tax cuts for the rich or top 2% of the people out there, you are overwhelmingly voting NOT to extend unemployment benefits.

It is almost Christmas time, and it looks like you wont pass it. And top it off as well, you see what that headline says there below??? "Cut-off of jobless aid would lower economic growth"

Nice job hypocritical heartless Republicans, nice job!

Cut-off of jobless aid would lower economic growth

Cut-off of jobless aid would shrink economic growth and raise unemployment and poverty rates

If Congress lets unemployment benefits expire this week for the long-term unemployed, they won't be the only ones to feel the pain. The overall economy would suffer, too.

Unemployment benefits help drive the economy because the jobless tend to spend every dollar they get, pumping cash into businesses. A cut-off of aid for millions of people unemployed for more than six months could squeeze a fragile economy, analysts say. Among the consequences they envision over the next year:

-- Annual economic growth could fall by one half to nearly 1 percentage point.

-- Up to 1 million more people could lose their jobs.

-- Hundreds of thousands would fall into poverty.

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Especially at this time of year. Black Friday gets its name from the fact that, from the day after Thanksgiving up until the first of the year, its the one time when most businesses aren't in the "Red" (meaning this is when they actually make a real prophet). So a vote to cut out unemployment will keep all of that money from getting into the economy right when it would do the most good.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stargate2012
-- Up to 1 million more people could lose their jobs.

-- Hundreds of thousands would fall into poverty.

I think I may look into getting a job running a prison. That is the only segment of the economy that will be on the rise after this decision. When people are broke, they resort to stealing (sometimes violently). Mark these words!
edit on 30-11-2010 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Stargate2012

Hmmm...

From the article linked in the OP.

Republican lawmakers oppose an extension of the unemployment aid if it would enlarge the government's $1.3 trillion budget deficit. They insist that the cost -- around $5 billion a month -- be offset with budget cuts elsewhere. Those cuts would reduce the economic impact of extending the benefits. Some in Congress want to pair an extension of unemployment aid with a deal to also extend the Bush-era tax cuts.

From that - it looks like the main thing they want is cuts somewhere else in the budget to pay for it. They aren't opposed to the program it seems as much as they are asking for cuts somewhere in the budget to pay for it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Republican economic policies are fantasies of the ultra rich. Pay the same dollar amount in taxes as the lower classes for the same gov't benefits is another one of them. there's a continuous cycle of a Republican getting elected, spending all the country's money, then a Democrat getting elected, raising taxes, and fixing the economy. What George Bush did before he left office is inexcusable. Let's remember that he signed the bailout right before leaving. Obama is trying to fix the blowback.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It makes the whole economic mess look a bit more like intentional.

Doesn't it?.

To what end?.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The only thing unemployment benefits is big buisness.

I pay my rent, then
I pay my electric bill,
My water bill,
Cellphone bill,
Internet and cable.

How is that boosting the economy? Unemployment is a part of the problem.

People on unemployment don't spend money on services, which is what most americans do (including sales).

(not that im on unemployment but those are the first things i always pay)
edit on 30-11-2010 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

From the perspective of unemployment being beneficial to big business...

It looks really,really intentional.

I have been unemployed for 2 years,I don't take it personally.

Good luck to your situation remaining as it is.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
You're kidding, right? Government spending does not create economic growth. Unemployment Compensation is an insurance program, not a welfare system. It has been extended well beyond it's original intention of oroviding for an unemployed worker for a year, and a year only. If you haven't noticed, the government is engaged in massive deficit spending. We don't have the money. If you want economic growth you have to create something of value. Collecting unemployment checks does not create somethinbg of value. Mommy and Daddy are eventually going to kick you out of the basement, so go do something useful instead of expect the govenment to pay you to do nothing. If you can't find a job, do it the old fashioned way. Make one. You're smart, right? So apply some of the little grey cells and do something useful. To call this a 'Republican' issue is just stuopid partisanship.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

The problem is they don't reinvest our tax dollors properly.

There only needs to be so much production to cover what we need as a country, the rest of the money needs to be reinvest into infrastructure and not war. This will create jobs and technology needed for a sustainable society to function. Instead of there being people working 80 hrs a week, we will have everyone working 30 hours a week in a fully functionable sustainable society.

Our whole setup is built for destruction. These selfish people need to be shown the truth.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It's still a Democratic majority. They don't need a single Republican vote to pass anything; at least, until next month. So how are the Republicans to blame? It didn't seem to matter what the Repubs wanted, for all the other bills the Dems wanted to pass. Why this one?

BTW, why should the government branches be top heavy with repeated self-approved pay increases year, after year; however, they can't give up a single penny of their over-inflated spending to take care of the unemployed they help to create?

So, you are okay with taking money from my child to fuel your butt sitting at home, but don't mind that congress maintains their caviar lifestyle while you are struggling to keep generic food on the table?

Typical.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Yes....

And ya know?,I have been saying for some time that there would be little to no unemployment if corporations and businesses reduced hours for everyone.

More and more people to do the work equates to less work for everyone.

It could be utopia,if they didn't misappropriate labor and resources .

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

AMEN brother!
I see it every day, leeches of society.
I can see a small amount of aid where needed, but not to run out and buy the things I witness in the grocery line when these "people" use their gov't $$$.
Let the herd thin.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes

It's still a Democratic majority. They don't need a single Republican vote to pass anything

you are certainly correct. And, I hope the DEMS give the GOP a good Ar$e reaming on their way out the door.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
They won't be seeing too many complaints from black farmers and native americans about ending extended benefits though.....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
You don't get it, you don't cut off unemployment extensions now in a critical time like this?

What do you think that is going to do to the economy?

Fair enough to have it 99 weeks in the hardest hit states. Let it stand that way, and stop messing with people's lives not knowing if they have 6 months, a year, 2 years. It allows people who are unemployed to find jobs, know a game plan, etc.

If the unemployment level goes back to under 7%, then lets debate and go for a 6 month unemployment time or up to a year for the hardest hit states.

But everyone complains that it is adding to the deficit by extending unemployment benefits, yet what does the Bush era tax rates for the rich do heh? If you are going to extend those, that will add to the deficit as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Are you crazy?

Those wealthy need that extra $45,000/year in tax savings in order to pay for their estate to be kept up to shape. Couldn't imagine the hedges not being cut in an intricate pattern. God forbid the tiles on the roof aren't power washed bi-monthly.

Don't worry, this will all come back to you somehow.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life
Couldn't imagine the hedges not being cut in an intricate pattern. God forbid the tiles on the roof aren't power washed bi-monthly.

LOL!!!! Gawd forbid they get outside and do that stuff themselves, like middle-class America has been doing for years now. For the rich, it must suck to know that you may soon buying goods/services with your own money.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

Maybe you do not realize that someone gets paid to trim hedges and clean roofs. Its called job creation. Granted in this day and age it is probably an illegal alien doing the work.

So why do you hate illegal immigrants?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Yea, how dare people demand to know how something is going to be paid for before its passed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious with this crap?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join