It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate approves long-delayed food safety bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Senate approves long-delayed food safety bill

www.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- The Senate passed a food safety bill to give more power to the Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday, more than a year after the House of Representatives passed a similar measure.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline
edit on 12/1/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Let's the facts straight.

Let's get this right. The same FDA that has let numerous harmful drugs through, is actually going to be trusted with more power? Drug recall after drug recall, and there are drugs still on the market that haven't been recalled that are damaging people big time. Come on people. And, I haven't even touched on the harmful chemicals in our food that goes right on through the FDA. Please!

You don't ask the ax murderer to watch your children do you?

Troy

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
No one should be surprised... "it's all rigged".

I will grow what I want on my property. S&F
edit on 30-11-2010 by xXHORUSXx because: quotes around the overheard floor statement

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The FDA is not out for our safety. It`s a money maker branch of the corrupt government at work. They do more harm then good in my opinion.

FDA=

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more the FDA and pharmaceutical companies are interested in profit, not anything else!

I just had a friend die of Ultrum (Tramadol). They gave her this drug because she could not take a narcotic drug, Tramadol is listed as a narcotic-like pain reliever. The reality is it is no different then any other opiate.

Drugs.com
DEA

They still don't list this as an addictive drug even though many have died from overdoses. And to make matters worse they make drugs illegal that could potentially save lives, but have no marketable properties.

I started a thread on this a while ago for Ibogaine (Cures opiate addiction in 48 hours completely), but is more illegal then coc aine and methamphetamine (Schedule 2), which are both less illegal then marijuana (Schedule 1).
Makes perfect sense right! The 'gateway' drug marijuana gets us into using a LESS dangerous drug like coc aine and methamphetamine, what is there logic!?! All the while alcohol, the true 'gateway' drug is legal.

Ibogaine Link ATS

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
People are saying that this bill will make it illegal to grow small gardens at your home... is this true? I can't find anything to back up this claim...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I am trying to find the actual Bill so I can read through it and post it.

If anyone can post it before me, that would be great.

Thanks for the post.

www.opencongress.org...

is where the Bill can be found.

below is where the wording of the bill starts and continues with a hyperlink on the page.

12/18/2009--Reported to Senate amended. FDA Food Safety Modernization Act - Title I: Improving Capacity to Prevent Food Safety Problems - (Sec. 101) Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) to expand the authority of the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to inspec...read the rest

edit on 30-11-2010 by Quickfix because: Edited to a Link and quote

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Nothing will be done, they can pass bills so much as they want, the only thing you can do is Read & Weep !

S&F

For Us The People That Stand And Watch ..

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
People are saying that this bill will make it illegal to grow small gardens at your home... is this true? I can't find anything to back up this claim...

From what I understand it doesn't say that in so many words, but DOES make it illegal due to the following:

from S 501 text, 5th paragraph in the summary
Requires all registered domestic facilities (excluding farms) to identify known or reasonably foreseeable hazards and implement preventive controls to significantly minimize or prevent those identified hazards.

What this, and further text which I've read previously (and will try to find), says is that seeds and plants which are not patented, or Round-Up Ready for example, are a threat and therefore domestic plots will be shut down and disallowed.

edit on 30-11-2010 by Thermo Klein because: removed a word, for clarity

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

So is that saying, backyard gardens are going to need inspections by FDA to have or they will be illegal?

edit on 30-11-2010 by Grayelf2009 because: sentance structure

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Can't wait to see them try to enforce this.......

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I guess we'll kind of have to wait and see what happens as a result of this bill.

The silver lining in all this is the fact that evil cannot continue to flourish. They will self destruct. But, we really don't want to wait for that. Their house of cards will fall, their lies will be exposed for all to see. It's already happening.

One of the best things we can do is to continue to get the truth out there. Many e-mails were sent in opposition to S.510, but you can see they still managed to pass the bill. That shows you how much we are cared about by some of the powers that be. The fact that they passed it anyway actually can work in our favor, because it obviously shows our concerns were worthless to them. We are just the "little people."

Like has been said, if the worst comes to pass, let them try and enforce some of the stuff we fear.

Troy

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Has anyone watched Food Inc? I'm sure some people here have. I'm borrowing a copy from a friend.

Troy

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
While it's a bit early to plan my spring garden, I began doing so this evening. Based on the calculations of the software I use for planning my garden, I should have enough to feed no less than 50 people by June/July of next year.

I don't sell my produce so am not worried about being popped for that. I enjoy seeing the look on someone's face when they are given a basket of goods that could keep them in fresh, local food for a week or more.

As far as S.510 goes, I plan to print it off and transfer it to toilet paper. I will be utilizing said toilet paper for what it was designed for. As far as my garden goes, I will be utilizing it for what it was designed for. Should someone plan to keep me from using my garden...well...that's a whole other chapter of the story.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

Money talks..

To be honest I'd prefer the FDA actually regulate some areas properly..
But then people buy of the FDA so what the hell can we do?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
"A version of the bill passed the House in July 2009 but had languished in the Senate, a fact that has angered some food safety "

So the house passed it in 09. Do they need to pass it again?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Its been said before,

I'd like to see them enforce the 'backyard garden" issue.

My wife has been on me to make us a garden. Now I have my reason.....just so I can be an ass!

For a small greenhouse, i wonder if I need to put a few flowers in there? Bugs too? Kinda need a little "world" of its own i guess. Hmm. Time to watch some youtube "how too's" !

Its a learning moment.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This is the same FDA that stated in the Raw Milk Federal Court Case...."Americans have no right to food"

A regime in this world needs to be removed. It's located in Washington DC.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
They aren't touching jack...
They won't enforce ish..
Let us see how it passes in the House........
And even after that, Obama, let us see your true colors..And once he doesn't veto said bill...
American's...Get off your ass and do something about it...I am fed up with this small piece passing through..
Disgusted..but NOT ALL HOPE IS LOST...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy

s.510 bill passes, ouch!

Cybertroy, I'm glad you started this thread, but you could have used a snappier thread title to draw attention.
This topic needs widest dissemination. I am sickened by the news that they passed this.

This bill (as HR 2749) was introduced by Rep. John Dingell (D) last year and passed the House on July 30, 2009 by 283 ayes to 142 nays.

So now the FDA Food Safety Enhancement Act (S510) has passed the Senate on Nov 30, 2010. It was introduced to the Senate by Sen Kay Hagen (D, NC) and Sen Richard Burr (R, NC).

The Tester-Hagen Amendment exempts small farms from Federal oversight. BUT "The amendment requires farms and food processing facilities with LESS than $500,000 in annual sales to SUBMIT to state & local regulations. A food-borne outbreak traced to a small farm would REMOVE the exemption and bring in Federal oversight."

This is going to be a disaster for our food supply. The added Federal agencies & requirements will add BILLIONS to the annual cost of our food.

It will eventually eliminate commercial organic farming by forcing the use of certain chemicals.

This Act will be used to eventually kill small farms & food processors.

Is it true that farmers will be prohibited from saving their seeds? This will kill the Heirloom seed business. Monsanto at work here ("The Seeds of Destruction"). This is why they (the Global Elite) have built seed-vaults. They don't know the full effects of the seeds they've unleashed, the natural seed vaults are their back up after the Culling is over. The Monsanto seeds cannot reproduce -- which insures they will have repeat customers who have to buy their seeds every year. The Monsanto seeds are believed to cause chemical sterilization in humans.

Don't be fooled. They are taking over our food supply one step at a time. Because the results of this Act will not be apparent immediately. They are blocking our paths to safe food, in increments.

Is there any hope in repealing this Act? Too many corrupt Reps & Senators for that. And IMHO Obama is as corrupt as they come.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join