It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Good Field Boots

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I'm currently going to school in Wildlife Biology, and being in West Virginia, I need a good pair of boots that will last a long time and are easy to wash. Other things I'm looking into are waterproofing and snake protection.

However, I don't know jack about boots. I'm a video game/comic nerd. Can anyone help me pick out a decent pair? I'm not looking to spend like $300.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

Anything with a Vibram sole should do really good.
2nd

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
danner makes really good stuff.

www.danner.com...

I have a pair of the acadia uniform boots that are super rugged, but comfortable.

also, bates makes a good boot:

www.batesfootwear.com... us/Gallery.mvc.aspx/G-F/Military/Boots?feature_ACTV=1066&feature_PTYP=1071

the navy durashocks are durable, but you can run pretty good in them if you want to.

good luck

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I can vouch for Danners, used them a lot when i served. Not cheap thoough but they lasted.

Also used Rocky boots, Goretex lined, very comfy and no need to break them in.

I would definately recommend you try before you buy though. I have bought expensive and very recommended makes that i just didn't get on with.

As i type this i am wearing a pair of Lowa GTX combat high boots, very warm, very waterproof, very solid....but maybe too solid if that makes sense. They are quite stiff and thats after months of wear and applying leather softening products.

They might be too hot for a warmer climate, but ideal here at the moment with the freezing weather.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase, but don't just take online advice as one persons feet differ from anothers.

CX.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I have three different pair, the ones i love most are my Meindl hiking boots. Other good brand is Hanwag and the swe3dish brand Lundhags (what the swedish army use, cold conditions).

Check out the Meindl MFS, its a winner.
www.meindl.de...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I have to give a shout out to the Danners as well. Countless styles and options and certain models can be rebuilt at the factory. Years ago I used to sell Danner in a backpacking shop. Don't hesitate to spend good money on a good boot that will last for years. It is money well spent and your feet will thank you for it.

Rocky boots are pretty good for the money also. I bought a pair of Gore tex, 800 gram thinsulate Rocky boots for winter work and they have been great. I hit them with Natur Seal before each winter and I'm good to go.

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by abaddon6
I have three different pair, the ones i love most are my Meindl hiking boots.

Have heard many great things about Meindl.

Don't be too swayed by military boots, although they'll have the high leg protection for snake bites, there are many civillian makes out there that are as good.

CX.

edit on 30/11/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have a pair of rothco tactical boots, they wear like a pair of sneakers but have the upper support, and they range from 40.00-50.00

www.amazon.com...

The converse boots here are VERY similiar as well, and alot of people I know wear them as well:
www.amazon.com...=pd_sbs_shoe_7
edit on 11/30/2010 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

The converse boots here are VERY similiar as well, and alot of people I know wear them as well:
www.amazon.com...

These are comfy when you first get them.....however these are mine six months on....

I don't expect boots to last for ever, but i only use them for walking day to day (not hiking or anything)...i don't expect them to fall to bits like this. Basicaly you need something a bit more solid if you want them to last. Don't get them wet either as they will leak, they aren't advertised as waterproof though so i can't moan there.

The heel (bottom of the boot) is made from that spongy stuff, so after a while it stays compacted and kind of wrinkly.

This was my second pair of Converse combat type boots, my last too. They were comfy though. I guess it depends on what you want to out them through.

So i'm sticking with these now, my Lowa's...

CX.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I got a pair of Cabelas house brand pack boots 5 years ago.

They're waterproof, crazy warm, and I tromp through everything with them.

The best is that they're as light as my trail running shoes and easily twice as comfortable. I can wear them all day and not get sore feet.

If they werent so damn warm Id wear them year round.

I think they were like $125 when I got them.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I still have the SAME pair I bought 2 years ago and I wear them ALMOST everyday:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3585f610b0a7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/55d9febc1b6e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79ab4613c5c9.jpg[/atsimg]

Sometimes you just get a bad pair of boots...

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Damn it!

Maybe i walk funny?

CX.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
reply to post by HomerinNC

Damn it!

Maybe i walk funny?

CX.

If youre walking funny, thats a completely DIFFRENT thread.....

BTW, I use those in the field in training and everyday walking around....sooo comfortable....

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
www.ondutygear.com...

I cant say enuf good things about this pair i have now...although...the are not as proven..as the older design, of the same bates boot, I have a tough time finding another replacement. The previous design is now 15 years or so old and good as the new ones....

I float 50+ times a year and water test them to the limits...80+mile float/camp outs...up to 20 days out.
good drainage, great design....light, and I forrget I'm wearing shoes...yet alone boots...

The only thing missing IMO...is the break in ......take boots and 6 beers to river get tham wet wear till dry....
while staying active....
edit on 30-11-2010 by Doc Holiday because: offer drunken break in period

I may be part of the "walks funny group"
edit on 30-11-2010 by Doc Holiday because: D'ohhhhhh

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

If youre walking funny, thats a completely DIFFRENT thread.....

BTW, I use those in the field in training and everyday walking around....sooo comfortable....

Hmmm.....i'm dabating whether it was just a one off now....they were indeed comfy while they lasted.

CX.

PS: I'll go do a thread on "funny walking".

CX.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

I had a pair similar to those when I was in the Army, when they were authorized to wear with your BDU uniform

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Whichever boot you decide to go with, make sure (or at least consider by trial) you put a pair of Superfeet (or something similar) in them. Your feet and your back will thank you...

ETA: also remember that it is said that for every pound on your feet it = 5 pounds in your pack... another words, get the lightest weight boot for your needs, if you can.

edit on 30-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Whichever boot you decide to go with, make sure (or at least consider by trial) you put a pair of Superfeet (or something similar) in them. Your feet and your back will thank you...

Thank you for that info, i have always used Sorbathane insoles but am always looking out for other recommendations.

Cheers.

CX.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

ETA: also remember that it is said that for every pound on your feet it = 5 pounds in your pack... another words, get the lightest weight boot for your needs, if you can.

Its nice to have so many footwear experts on ATS of all places
The Superfeet insoles are excellent. I have been using a pair designed for cycling shoes for about 5 years now. I would not ride without them. Their products have even gotten better since I bought mine. I need to get a pair for my boots. These are most effective in shoes/boots that have removable factory insoles.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I have a pair of sketchers boots that I used as an EMT student.. They are really comfortable. Just gotta make sure they really fit.. I got them for about 60 bucks.. The boots are durable, the laces that they came with not as much. But they are water proofed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join