It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Bond shamed by IT skills deleting Iranian nuke program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Check it out! Computer geeks decimate Iranian nuke capabilities! One for the geeks!www.foxnews.com...

The construction of the worm was so advanced, it was “like the arrival of an F-35 into a World War I battlefield,” says Ralph Langner, the computer expert who was the first to sound the alarm about Stuxnet. Others have called it the first “weaponized” computer virus.

Simply put, Stuxnet is an incredibly advanced, undetectable computer worm that took years to construct and was designed to jump from computer to computer until it found the specific, protected control system that it aimed to destroy: Iran’s nuclear enrichment program.

The target was seemingly impenetrable; for security reasons, it lay several stories underground and was not connected to the World Wide Web. And that meant Stuxnet had to act as sort of a computer cruise missile: As it made its passage through a set of unconnected computers, it had to grow and adapt to security measures and other changes until it reached one that could bring it into the nuclear facility.

edit on 30-11-2010 by aviatrix because: add text from article

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is just very sad, the only reason they where "hacked, broken into" which ever you may prefer, was because there server is connected to a network leaving themselves wide open for a threat of any kind. Congrats Nerdz! post by

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
That's some very impressive worm. To be so sophisticated, I wonder what the size of it must have been. I'm not the most computer hacker savvy, obviously. For someone to know all of the manufacturers to all the systems etc., it must have been compromised from within imo. Very impressive indeed, though.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Stuxnet is NOT a worm created by the stereotypical computer geek sitting in his parents' basement.

This was created by a GOVERNMENT's secret service or NSA division, either Mossad, MI5, FSB, or NSA would be my guess. Maybe the Chinese as an outside possibility.

The sophistication of this worm is far beyond the limited resources (financial and other) of your average home based hacker from what I hear in the media.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by collectivethought
This is just very sad, the only reason they where "hacked, broken into" which ever you may prefer, was because there server is connected to a network leaving themselves wide open for a threat of any kind. Congrats Nerdz! post by

Noooo -- much more complex. Read the article again. This is how future wars will be fought -- by geeks. I knew it was just a matter of time. Makes me rethink 911 again.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
www.onenewspage.co.uk...

Lil Kim not running Windows 7 i guess.

www.foxnews.com...

Solaris?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
And shouldn't Iran be able to sue Microsoft and Norton? lol

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If it is possible to take out Iran's nuke capabilities through worms....lots of things are possible IMHO.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
You know, I was wondering...Windows 7 was the software OS the Nuclear Facility was running on? I wonder if the Microsoft Technicians supplied the Iranians with closed ports or open ports? What kind of virus protection were they using? Using windows on a protected server is just plain stupid, Iran. Should have been running Linux. Some things never cease to amaze me.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
More and more and more and more and more Cyber Weapon articles floating around...
Once the public is aware of such attacks, one will happen.. and once it does goodbye open internet.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
You know, I was wondering...Windows 7 was the software OS the Nuclear Facility was running on? I wonder if the Microsoft Technicians supplied the Iranians with closed ports or open ports? What kind of virus protection were they using? Using windows on a protected server is just plain stupid, Iran. Should have been running Linux. Some things never cease to amaze me.

I hate windows 7 for sure.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Lil' Kim is laughing at Iran right 'coz they made themselves vulnerable to stuxnet when they declined North Korea's Red Star OS.

edit on 12.1.10 by toreishi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I worked in China, I found out something was going wrong, about a month I was in-country.
I read 1984 and got the idea of writing a diary so I knew I wasn't going crazy.
My report was sent to M16 website after i did checks on a pc in the UK.
I returned back to China and guess what, I got told everything I sent to M16 in my unofficial report, the Chinese even tried to recruit me, but since I am military trained I refrained and they tried alot of psyops against me.

Lesson 1: Do not trust your govt especially intel (which my people call slime)

If you are ever in a similiar situation:

1. Adopt a free thinking attitude, drop sectarianism, racism etc, this is restricting
2. Adopt an analytical mindset
3. Read a hell of a lot about psychological, law, international relations, society etc (what a spy would do)
4. Watch tv programmes that can help i.e. Burn Notice (it helped explained in retrospect what i did and saw, i.e.
I seen a chinese surveillance team move into action twice, I seen from an elevated position and it appeared the same, in one case it involved Westerners and I later seen them in the position sussing me out, how i laughed inside, the Chinese in one case tried to take a picture of me, because at the end I made it out that i was a dead letter box drop or a meet.
5. Previous point, always put your oppostion on the offensive if possible but personal objectives might negate against this.
6. Read strategy books i.e. Manstein (Melvin), Sun Tzu, 36 strategies, Japanese sword saint strategy, Clausewitz etc, read these all. Even if they are military,you can still develop a mindset to apply in everyday life.
7. Most controversial of all, trust noone, take everything with a pinch of salt, do not be overy encouraged into a course of action that you might regret, bad women/men, drugs etc - I have done all of this but adherred the 11th commandment - THOU SHALT NOT GET CAUGHT.
8. Adopt a belief system, i.e. belief in God, I believe in Jesus Christ and Jahweh and this is what I believe got me through China, believe in God or (which I disprove something else, but you have to believe in something moral and ethical to get you through)
9. SF soldiers (well UK SAS etc at least) tried to incorporate a good sense of humour and this is important, when things really look bleak, you have got to laugh especially at yourself and relieve tension.
10. Use your memories for good, think about it, SF use this technique, so have I.
11. Keep fit, fit body, fit mind.
12. Be tougher on yourself because you will be able to withstand your enemy.
13. When things look bad or distressing, use your belief system and what the bible says think on good things, your family, and good people like Jesus Christ, Gandhi etc
14. Research NLP techniques.

If you are truly in the # and find a van constantly parked at your window, assume NATO codename TEMPEST, an old technology and take action. Your computer is automatically insecure because you CANNOT fight technologically against a govt well with a computer that is, psychologically YOU CAN. If you are truly in the # and have active denial weapons against you, use a barrier of water, rf esp high rf signals cannot pass, wifi cannot penetrate for example. I studied this at uni as well as in active practice.

This is a deniable technology, so if you are VERY much in the # and think your mind is being read then:
If you FEEL that they can read your thoughts, hypothethically use velostat or linqstat not tinfoil. The japanese say that they can record 12 secs of a persons thoughts by EEG wires so far, so I can't rule it out in the next 50 years but it is probably a black ops technology.

peace

Retchalin

top topics

join