It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call of Duty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hi all... this isn't really a conspiracy just some speculation and curiosity about what other people think. I recently started playing Call of Duty, Modern Warfare. I've been playing for about 2 months now and am really surprised how addictive the game is. I understand there are many video games that are addictive like this, I was just surprised personally, because I've never been into the whole 1st person shooter games. I got turned onto it by watching my husband play all the time, (ALL the time) finally I was like, if you can't beat em, join em.

I realize there are millions of people who play this game world wide, and I got to wondering if this might have some kind of effect on global consciousness. Here are a few things that come to mind, they are a little out there so bear with me.

#1 World War prophecies.
Do you think it's possible prophets like Nostradamus and others were merely picing up on the massive amount of call of duty playing? Causing them to have these apocalyptic war prophecies?

#2 An outlet for our savage nature
We humans are savage creatures. Inside most of us is an almost instinctual blood lust, this urge for battle, challenge, whatever you might want to call it. This blood lust has caused us many problems in the past. I know that there has been a debate that graphic video games cause people to become more violent, but I haven's seen evidence of this personally, though I'm not saying it doesn't happen. However, perhaps we could use games like call of duty to satisfy that craving without actually causing real bodily harm to people. The Iroquois used to use lacrosse to settle disputes instead of war, I heard that on a radio show just the other day, that got me thinking about this subject in regards to call of duty.

#3 Or is it something more sinister?
If you've ever played call of duty, you'll remember the intro when they show all these green points on the globe being connected to all these other points on the globe by web-like lines until the whole thing is covered. It has me thinking about the 100 monkey theory, given the massive amount of people who play this game, what kind of global consequences could it have?

That's all for now, what do you guys think?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bekisu

I think your second point is proper. Games do help us vent our frusteration. I myself don't believe they make people violent. I believe they make violent people sane. Of course there is some questionable material in some games, but that is for the parents to decide if their child is capable of playing a game and not acting it out in real life.

Second...... What system are youse guys using? AND are you playing BlackOps yet? If not you should be. Its the ish.

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Main point of real 3d shooters and thos games is for dehumanistaion. I have never been in the military but if you joined you would play these shooters as simulators, and they are probably like call of duty.

Its to make sure you lose any empathy you may feel for others in pain. Same sort of thing as the daily show, where jon stewert laughs at people being blown up. You are meant to not care, thats the point of these games, and shows.

Just demuanisation.

I never play these games and never will, and i have not hit anyone in 22 years since i was 13.

That tells you something, lol.

edit on 11/30/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well, I find it actualy a funny idea.... to know that Nostradamus predicted a world war....

But that 'world war' is only us.... playing call of duty....

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Well Ive been playing violent games for a while now and I still am saddened when people are in pain and suffering. What does that mean? I dont believe i have become desinsitized at all. I think your OPINION of games may be a little off there Andy.

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by bekisu

I personally believe CoD games are navy sponsored propaganda designed to hook and keep the masses in a war like mindset. The fact that there so possible to pirate makes me believe this more so, they would want tech savvy people to be trained.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I've never been in the army either, but I doubt Call of Duty is anything like real war. In Call of Duty you constantly run around shooting people, never hiding behind cover, relying very little on team work. I can imagine that would get you killed pretty fast IRL.
edit on 30/11/2010 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

I never play these games and never will, and i have not hit anyone in 22 years since i was 13.

Does it?

Ha... weird.. I mean, I've not hit anyone since I was 16. And I'm 38. that's 22 years also. And .. I've been playing first person shooters including CoD4 (not MW2 or Black Ops since they're rubbish) since Wolfenstien 3D.

I guess somehow I evaded the "Turn into sadistic serial killer monster" trap.

I also watch Dexter and was a member of Ogrish before it all went to pox.

Hrmm... Why aren't I out there bashing grannies and stepping on fluffy kittens... I should be completely devoid of empathy by now, surely....

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I also play Call of Duty. I do agree that makes you feel apathetic about killing. I also noticed that all the call signs and emblems are mostly negative images and sayings. They even have Illuminati symbols with the pyramid and eye as an emblem. Another thing I noticed, because my ps3 screen name has the word "girl" in it I get a lot of friend requests. I'm practically married so don't accept any of them, but then I get harassed in messages by sexist nerds almost every time I play.

link   
I also play Call of Duty. I do agree that makes you feel apathetic about killing. I also noticed that all the call signs and emblems are mostly negative images and sayings. They even have Illuminati symbols with the pyramid and eye as an emblem. Another thing I noticed, because my ps3 screen name has the word "girl" in it I get a lot of friend requests. I'm practically married so don't accept any of them, but then I get harassed in messages by sexist nerds almost every time I play.

link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
reply to post by bekisu

I personally believe CoD games are navy sponsored propaganda designed to hook and keep the masses in a war like mindset. The fact that there so possible to pirate makes me believe this more so, they would want tech savvy people to be trained.

The only reason to play these games (After you play the SP once, and that's pretty much all you ever do) is Multiplayer and unless you want to play cheating idiots with a ping of 700ms then you cannot play pirated copies of the game.

Also, keep people in a state of war mindset?

I love nothing more than going on a serious server for some clan and just running around throwing c4 at people or cooking a nade till we both explode as I sneak up behind someone.

It's about fun for me, getting the really sad serious people upset... and hey, sometimes people have a sense of humour and get a giggle too.

I think people who think these games are tools to get people into a warlike mental state or to dehumanise the masses (it's a game ffs, not realistic at all) are the sort who have obviously never played the things in the first place.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
games are fun, theyre made by people wanting to sell as many copies as possible and keep them playing.
there is no conspiracy, its a buisness.
fps games never used to be adictive like they are now, i put that solely down to them adding rpg elements(levelling up). i think it started with cod 4, it kept people playing, buying new maps, then rushing out to buy the next installment.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bekisu

Plain and simple the games were created to control your minds. It is Mind Control. The games are a form of mind control. Oh, did I mention that the games are a way of controlling your mind. They bend your thought process in such a way that you are not even aware what is happening to your brain and your mind. You are allowing it to happen to you so that you experience the emotions and feelings that the actions create. Do you really think that when you feel something deeply enough that it doesn't create it in your reality? If that's the case, then you don't really understand how we create and you don't really understand how we attract to us the very things that we think about. It invokes emotions that seem to be played out in the game but they are being played out in reality as well, even if its another dimensional reality. So what if we are multi-dimensional beings? Is that the reality you really want to live in your other dimensions? If not, then stop playing them and start being your own creator. You're letting someone else determine how you live and what you experience. The truth is not usually seen or heard, but that doesn't change that it is the truth. My son started playing warhammer when he was very young. His dad bought it for him. Before I realized the damage that was done it was too late. Now he is a trained killer (a marine) and I can only guess what the future holds for him. He was trained from a very young age to kill, kill, kill and my ignorance allowed it. You see he was trained to kill before he even held a real gun in his hands. Also, public education drilled in his head for a full half year of school in his sophomore year the history of the holocaust. It doesn't stop with the games. The mind control comes from the north, south, east and west.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

It worked really well on modern warfare 2. You had the noob tube (pro pipe) and one man army which allowed you to switch class at any time, effectively giving you infinite grenades. People used to get so p#ssed off.

I only play it occasionally for a few matches then get bored, but my brother, who uses the same xbox live account as me plays it more seriously

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ajewel4u

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73f10ea26825.jpg[/atsimg]

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ajewel4u

i strongly recommend you watch this...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
If you take the time to play any of the fps' like CoD or MoH in single player mode and allow yourself to become immersed into the storyline, I think that would more than likely deter people from wanting to have a "warlike" mindset. The situations played out in some of the levels deal with situations such as losing someone you fight along side of in combat and killing innocent civilians when you play the role of a terrorist, all in very graphic detail that will only become more realistic as technology gets better. I played through that terrorist level in CoD: MW2, mind you I did this because I take advantage of any opportunity to experience a different person's mindset, and I honestly felt emotionally drained after finishing the level.

I think as fps games make war video games more realistic, it will put people off of the idea on wanting war rather especially as the technology advances and allows for people to more graphically experience war's true nature on both a psychological and emotional level. We may even begin seeing some individuals in the near future could suffer from PTSD related to video gaming because the veil between reality and the game begins to lift. But that will depend on how far down the rabbit hole the companies want to take the player.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by bekisu

I think your second point is proper. Games do help us vent our frusteration. I myself don't believe they make people violent. I believe they make violent people sane. Of course there is some questionable material in some games, but that is for the parents to decide if their child is capable of playing a game and not acting it out in real life.

Second...... What system are youse guys using? AND are you playing BlackOps yet? If not you should be. Its the ish.

MOTF!

As far as the second point, yeah, I have found it's a good way to vent frustration too, which is why I brought it up.

We use PS3. We haven't gotten BlackOps yet, we've heard mixed reviews on it. I should note something, we have also found it to be a great way to keep in touch, my husbands brothers live 3 hours away, but they can talk to each other while they play so they really dig that.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Main point of real 3d shooters and thos games is for dehumanistaion. I have never been in the military but if you joined you would play these shooters as simulators, and they are probably like call of duty.

Its to make sure you lose any empathy you may feel for others in pain. Same sort of thing as the daily show, where jon stewert laughs at people being blown up. You are meant to not care, thats the point of these games, and shows.

Just demuanisation.

I'm not sure I agree that it's de-humanizing, I've still have empathy for people when they are in pain and hurting and I'm not a violent person. An interesting note, my husband was in the military and he said a lot of the stuff in call of duty isn't very realistic to how things are done either.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bibly

lol...yeah there seem to be an abundence of sexist nerds on that game. Funny enough, a lot of people on there don't think of my name bekisu as a girls name, they think I'm just some chinese guy. I get more comments calling me different slang for that then anything else.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join