It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eternal Sunshine: Scientists Say They Can Erase Bad Memories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Mods please move if needed. I have seen somewhat similar threads but nothing for this thread and the news in the article.

Eternal Sunshine is my favorite movie of all time. I believe it should be possible to erase memories of a person. One of my main reasons why is because when I self injured all the time I couldn't get the thought out of my head as to why. If we could erase the thought then the problem is gone forever!

Michel Gondry's seminal Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind posited this theory about erasing memories: and if true, it means we can soon wipe his slightly less seminal The Science of Sleep from our minds for good. Actually, the mercurial French film maker has nothing to do with this; rather, researchers at Johns Hopkins University believe that proteins can be removed from the brain's fear center to permanently erase memories. Richard L. Huganir, professor and chair of neuroscience in the Hopkins School of Medicine, said this "raises the possibility of manipulating those mechanisms with drugs to enhance behavioral therapy for such conditions as post-traumatic stress disorder."

Article Source

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What happens if they target the wrong person, and try to wipe there minds.

They are already to do such a thing. Pure evil, and anyone should want to be left alone rather than have these use stuff on them.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

That is possible and I can imagine this becoming controversial. I would love to use this to erase the bad memories I have today.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
That's all fine and dandy, but they'll have to pardon me if I'm a bit squeamish about going in there and deliberately messing with the neurological makeup of my brain.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

HAVE YOU THE BRAIN WORMS?! This will not hurt you at all. It would be as easy as making fine Dutch American apple pie.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

How many times have I heard that one only to find out later that what went on was actually quite dangerous? Any procedure on the body, no matter how blasé, always carries at least a small amount of risk with it. Messing with the neurological makeup of your brain should at least make you pause for a moment.

I'm not saying that I'm against it, but seeing as how important my brain is and how delicate it can be, I personally would wait until they've had a little while to tweak it.

new topics

top topics

join