It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question for the owners of this site

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Ill try it again, i somehow clicked post on the last thread, with nothing but the title

Basically, I wanted to ask the owners of ATS if theyve ever received a request by anyone, particularly government officials, for user information and or IP addresses of a member of this site?

If so, what was the response to this request?
If you havent yet but do receive a request for user info in the future, what would your response be?

Dont get me wrong, im not making any accusations what so ever but considering the content of some posts can stir up a lot of Anti-Govt sentiment, i think its a fair question to ask.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm fairly new here and still trying to find my way around.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
GOOD QUESTION BRO

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
well what kind of answer you think you can get on that?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by angrydog

Well, im hoping an honest one and im hoping i didnt put myself on their watch list by asking it

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I would think if someone was after a members ip # they could get it without asking(see below). Now whether or not the owners here have been asked is another story maybe.

Clicking on this(Rhadamanthus)member's(www.abovetopsecret.com...) signature REVEALS YOUR IP#, Browser, computer and carrier!

Peace,
spec
edit on 28-11-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

well..if they would do this..they never would tell us..

we just have to be trustfull
...but i dont think theres so much interest in infos of memebers of ATS..

i think the owners have to fear the anger of the gov...not us ^^

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
ATS members may needn't worry about high-security government is my bet; however, It would not surprise me if with all of the people's tax dollers hard at work there were a government branch designated to keep 'tabs' on any/every site like this and its frequenters.

I am not saying I believe this is going on, I am saying it WOULD NOT surprise me. Good question OP.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

in sight of the new achievement i think eyes been laid here all ready.so with power comes more responsibility and interest among other things. good questions you bring up. especially when we consider the trends of other sites.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
im new to computers , but why on earth would the government or any other orthority need to ask for permision,
from my experiance they do what they bloody like

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
nevermind, questions answered

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animatrix
reply to post by angrydog

Well, im hoping an honest one and im hoping i didnt put myself on their watch list by asking it

Just by frequenting this website as a lurker and not even having posted anything, I'd be willing to bet you'd be on a watch list. "They're" saying that things as trivial as being a College Student are enough to get you put on one of these lists. They're sure as heck fire going to be adding all of us to that list.

And I've got news for you: They don't need permission from the Mods to access your IP address.
edit on 28-11-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Clicking on this(Rhadamanthus)member's(www.abovetopsecret.com...) signature REVEALS YOUR IP#, Browser, computer and carrier!

The image that you click on in his sig has an embedded link to one of any number of sites out there that will give you that information.. thats all there is to that..

danasoft IP

The Danasoft sign is a fun widget that you can add to your Myspace layouts, Myspace backgrounds, blog, forum posts, or your website. You can customize the graphic with your own messages. When people see the sign, they will see all sorts of spooky information about them (it works like a one-way mirror), like their IP address, operating system (Windows, Mac), web browser type, along with your customized message at the bottom, published right on your profile, blog, or website. We also have a new city graphic that tells the person where they live, which is especially freaky.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

thats all there is to that..

Whew, that's a relief, thanks!

spec

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Don't worry about that link.

Only YOU can see your information from that link if someone else looks at it they see their info, To download an image / look at a web page or communicate in anyway on the internet you have to broadcast your IP address to the host of that information so they know where to send it to. It's like you have to give someone your address if you want them to send you a letter.

Every web site you ever go to knows your IP address, you wouldn't be able to view it if they didn't. Other info like your approximate location / operating system etc can also be found in the same way.

If you run a web site you can see the IP of everyone that visits, which browser they are using, their operating system, how long they were on the site, how many times they have visited before etc etc etc

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

And I've got news for you: They don't need permission from the Mods to access your IP address.

You may be right there but Im guessing that if a member raises a "flag" on here then they would want other info as well, like the in forum PM messages and the email address that you registered with so they can contact them as well.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

All web servers record everything from your monitor size to your IP address and keep it in a log to be analyzed later. The government could acquire this at ease with a warrant less action based on the patriot act. Sometime run a UK IP trace and see where it goes. Langley just happens to be a large node, besides as internet traffic flows through nodes throughout the US there are optical splitters gathering information along the way feeding it to government computers to be keyword read. You can hide nothing. You could slow things down with TOR but eventually the trace will find you. Just like having your car laser tagged from space, your easy to find in traffic.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't think we are considered a problem.

You see, they can read what's going on in our minds. The ones that don't share their thoughts is what attracts interest.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I haven't clicked it or seen that member, but I would say it just takes the info from your computer and displays it to you. There are a lot of sites that allow you to see your own I.P. I seriously doubt he accesses them, and if he does, why would he want to take them down?

link   
I remember SO talking about only a few specific times where they were asked to remove content, but to provide information about users would violate the privacy policy that ATS has according to what I know.

I'm probably wrong though.

In any case, we aren't of any worry to people like the 3 letter agencies, there is so much disinformation on this website that the truth is wrapped in a thousand lies. The people who know anything aren't the ones who are posting trust me.

~Keeper

link   

I'm sure they've got computer technicians that can access all of that info without the Mods being the wiser.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join