It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nelson Mandela and other world leaders ridiculed & mocked by the US in cables and emails - Wikileaks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I found this small teaser about the new Wikileaks release tonight at 22.00 GMT (London Time)

Wikileaks publishing embarrassing for the U.S

On Sunday evening, Swedish time Wikileaks publishes a large number of classified documents that could be embarrassing for the United States. This includes the former South African President Nelson Mandela, have been criticized for his stance against the war in Iraq.

- This is hugely embarrassing for the United States, "a source close to Hillary Clinton told the Daily Mail.

Three million declassified documents posted on WikiLeaks site in the evening. Five papers will be received prior to study parts of the massive material, including the New York Times, Guardian and the German Der Spiegel.
Der Spiegel ran a preliminary publish some on Saturday but was soon pulled back. However, it already had time to spread on the Internet.

Described condescending

The materials include a number of emails and documents from the U.S. embassy, where leaders like former British Prime Minister Tony Blair - and the newly elected, David Cameron, Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Libya's Muammar Gaddafi and Zimbabwe's despot Robert Mugabe accused or described in a condescending way.

Google Translate from Expressen

Wikileaks leaking documents to Denmark

The Danish Ministry of Defence has requested and obtained classified U.S. documents to Wikileaks, says founder Julian Assange.

According to Assange Danes first have consulted the U.S., who refused to disclose anything, writes Ekstra Bladet.

Two weeks ago, the Danish Ministry of Defence have requested and obtained the records from Wikileaks, says Julian Assange in a Skype interview with journalists in Amman, Jordan.

Danes surveyed only the United States, which said no, then instead went to Wikileaks, says Ekstra Bladet.

Google Translate - Expressen's Article

Nelson Mandela ridiculed and mocked by the US in emails

Embassies revealed in Wikileaks-documents

LONDON. Details of the night: U.S. embassies mocked Nelson Mandela and Gordon Brown.

Everything is in the secret documents that the U.S. government fears that Wikileaks will publish in the evening.

- This is hugely embarrassing for the United States, "a source close to Hillary Clinton.

Even Gordon Brown's personality and his ability to stay in power should have commented on some of the more than 800 messages sent from the U.S. Embassy in London and that tomorrow will be published on the Internet.

www.aftonbladet.se...

That was not much of a teaser, was it? lol!

I mean, it better be more juicy stuff than this revealed tonight! no?

This is just silly condescending talk about world leaders behind their backs from the world's bully - no surprise really, we do that all the time here on ATS (talk crap about world leaders)
And this is NOT history changing stuff! at least not yet anyway!

Well I guess we'll see what all this "History Changing" fuss is about in about 9 hours or so?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

It is the same with a friend who is back stabbing you. I'm not sure if you still want to be a friend of that guy.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Wow... history changing stuff.

All this is drama, like that between two little 5th grade girls. Seriously wikileaks? Common. Like I didn't know this kind of stuff already went on.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
Wow... history changing stuff.

All this is drama, like that between two little 5th grade girls. Seriously wikileaks? Common. Like I didn't know this kind of stuff already went on.

Like many others, I am hoping some of their corruption will be finally exposed in these documents. However, I disagree with your post in as much as yes, we know all sorts of things go on - but there is a big difference between us all 'knowing' this and actually having the evidence.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Now now guys, lets really look at the potential ramifications of this.

If the USA has stated, for instance, a dislike of Cameron or a distrust of his government, that certainly WILL affect future relations.

Many millions of citizens around the world hold Nelson Mandela as one of the most important figures in history. If he has been openly insulted or criticized by high-ranking officials in the US administration, that certainly WILL affect public opinion of the USA around the world.

It is interesting, and it definitely will have an affect on that "special relationship". But, personally, I want to see the evidence of corruption and secret operations designed to destabilize governments. THAT would be Earth-shattering.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Some more sources about this up-coming new leak of cables and emails

U.S. warns world leaders that new WikiLeaks revelations will 'expose corruption between allies' and show what America REALLY thinks of its friends

3 million documents set to go online

U.S. diplomats face being kicked out of countries in backlash

Corrupt politicians expected to be named and shamed

Bombshell leak thought to include U.S. assessments of Gordon Brown

Secret talks on return of Lockerbie bomber to Libya may also be leaked

Allegations 'include U.S. backing of Kurdish terrorists'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

"WikiLeaks revelations will 'expose corruption between allies' and show what America REALLY thinks of its friends"

Ohh! that sounds exciting and juicy enough!

*I better go shopping and prepare for tonight with some snacks and beer then*

Could be in for a long night of reading!?

New WikiLeaks files 'to reveal American criticism of Nelson Mandela'

Whistleblower website 'WikiLeaks' would soon reveal that Nelson Mandela is among the world leaders believed to have been criticised US diplomatic files that are to be leaked.

www.dnaindia.com...

Cameron 'faces leaks embarrassment'

The US administration's unflattering assessment of David Cameron is set to be made public with the release of thousands of leaked State Department files by the WikiLeaks whistleblowers website.

Simon Hoggart, a journalist on The Guardian - one of the newspapers that has been working with WikiLeaks on the release of the material - said that the publication would be an "embarrassment" for the Prime Minister.

He confirmed that the paper would be releasing extensive details of the files on Monday.

"It is going to give the candid American views of world leaders and indeed the reverse too," he told BBC1's The Andrew Marr Show.

There is going to be some embarrassment certainly for Gordon Brown but even more so for David Cameron who was not very highly regarded by the Obama administration or by the US ambassador here."

www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk...

WikiLeaks files will embarrass Britain, warns US

Top-secret diplomatic and military files published by website WikiLeaks will embarrass Britain, the US warned yesterday.

www.mirror.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Does make one wonder, why they are doing this, and why now?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I just hope that whatever it is, people around the world will not hold the citizens responsible. The majority of Americans have awakened and are fed up with the government.

Maybe if it is bad enough though, this will be the proverbial "straw that breaks the Camel's back" in the eyes of the people and we will finally stand up.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by wavemaker
reply to post by Chevalerous

It is the same with a friend who is back stabbing you. I'm not sure if you still want to be a friend of that guy.

Yeah! you're definitely right about that!

And lookie, just released from Reuters:

U.S. says WikiLeaks release would endanger lives

WASHINGTON | Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:41am EST

(Reuters) - The State Department has warned the whistleblowing website WikiLeaks that its expected release of classified U.S. documents would endanger countless lives, jeopardize American military operations and hurt international cooperation on global security issues.

The department's top lawyer urged WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in a letter Saturday to keep classified documents off the website, remove records of them from its database and return any material to the U.S. government.

Lawyer Harold Koh said the department has learned that WikiLeaks provided about 250,000 documents to The New York Times, The Guardian of Britain and German magazine Der Spiegel.

Some media reports indicated the news outlets may post stories on the documents as early as Sunday and said they have also been given to newspapers Le Monde in France and El Pais in Spain.

Koh wrote that publication of the documents would "place at risk the lives of countless innocent individuals" as well as military initiatives and cooperation between countries to confront problems from terrorism to pandemic disease.

www.reuters.com...

WTF! pandemic disease?

Could there be some juicy details regarding the swine-flu scam and the vaccines in this new leak as well perhaps?

That would be just awsome if Wikileaks has some names and documents about the corruption related to the pandemic disease scam last year!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Be prepared for some kind of false flag to take attention away from the leaks. That is about the only strategy the US has left to combat this thing which will be a great embarrassment to them only; not anyone else.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
Be prepared for some kind of false flag to take attention away from the leaks. That is about the only strategy the US has left to combat this thing which will be a great embarrassment to them only; not anyone else.

Yeah most certainly, like an attack on North Korea and get China involved perhaps!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Oooh I can't wait!

Lesson number one: if you are representing your nation, you'd better be beyond reproach.

What do I hope will happen? I hope this exposes enough of the crap these guys get up to to anger the populations of several nations.
It's about time these politicians were held truly accountable for their actions. I hope this is that time.

And, this won't only damage the US, it will damage the UK government if the material released shows that America thinks far less of our government than they portray.
The UK government is already facing massive anger from the people, if they are made fun of internationally it just adds to the ammo we have.

I see some interesting protest placards ahead!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Oooh I can't wait!

Me neither!
I'm almost giddy as a kid on Christmas eve - news junkies all around the world are now waiting for Santa Assange! lol!

Lesson number one: if you are representing your nation, you'd better be beyond reproach.

Amen to that my friend!

It's about time these politicians were held truly accountable for their actions. I hope this is that time.

Yeah it's definitely time, but don't forget about the pesky Banksters!

Got your pitchforks and torches ready?

And, this won't only damage the US, it will damage the UK government if the material released shows that America thinks far less of our government than they portray.

I think we'll see some interesting stuff thrown from all directions over the Globe, not just the UK and the US - this could be a truly global event!

I see some interesting protest placards ahead!

Me too!

Hopefully it will be worth the wait!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Ohh! I didn't know that these two had an Elite Bromance!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d895ccf8bc52.jpg[/atsimg]
Italian newspapers highlighted how Mr Berlusconi had holidayed on the Black Sea with Mr Putin and in return the Russian leader had been a guest at his counterparts luxury villa in Sardinia

Ahh how cute! and now they're perhaps worried that the news about their special bromance is out in the open!

Ahh! and Washington is probably jealous! lol!

WikiLeaks 'to highlight Putin and Berlusconi's special relationship'

Controversial Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's "close relationship" with Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, is said to be among WikiLeaks documents due to be released.

Mr Berlusconi has been friends with former KGB agent Mr Putin, for more than five years and the two have held numerous bilateral meetings as well as entertained each other on holiday.

Of concern to Washington was said to be the deal between Italian energy firm ENI and Russian gas giant Gazprom, over the South Stream pipeline as well as the "very cordial relationship between Mr Putin and Mr Berlusconi".

On Sunday America's former ambassador to Italy Ronald Spogli, who was in Rome between 2005 and 2009, said in an interview with Corriere della Sera: "The Rome-Moscow axis did worry us."

Mr Spogli did not go into specific details but did add: "Certainly, we have always said that a democratic Russia was always desirable.

"In the last few years when there was a differing shift by Russia, we Americans always thought this (Putin-Berlusconi relationship) was not the right direction."

Italian newspapers highlighted how Mr Berlusconi had holidayed on the Black Sea with Mr Putin and in return the Russian leader had been a guest at his counterpart's luxury villa in Sardinia.

They published once again an infamous picture of Mr Berlusconi pretending to 'shoot' a Russian journalist as she asked awkward questions of Mr Putin at a press conference in Italy two years ago.

Also mentioned was Mr Berlusconi's "soft stance" towards Russia during the recent conflicts in Chechnya and Georgia.

Mr Spogli's comments were published as Mr Berlusconi's government insisted there was a "plot" by foreign powers to damage Italy's international reputation highlighting intense coverage of recent domestic events, as well as the release of WikiLeaks files.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

:shk:
edit on 28-11-2010 by Chevalerous because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Dear Government Official:
If you are concerned that something within the Wikileaks disclosure will embarrass you, you should be ashamed of yourself for ever saying it. You are responsible for your words. You supposedly represent the American public, and we expect you to act responsibly. Any embarrassment you experience is of your own doing.

Sincerely,
An American Citizen

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

But admit, the way the cables describe some of the leaders is funny. Here is a secret cable regarding Turkey. Wikileaks reference ID: 04ANKARA7211, as below.

S E C R E T SECTION 01 OF 05 ANKARA 007211

SIPDIS

E.O. 12958: DECL: 12/14/2029
TAGS: PREL PGOV PINS ECON TU
SUBJECT: ERDOGAN AND AK PARTY AFTER TWO YEARS IN POWER:
TRYING TO GET A GRIP ON THEMSELVES, ON TURKEY, ON EUROPE

As PM Erdogan strode through the EU corridors of power Dec. 16-17 with his semi-pro soccer player's swagger and phalanx of sycophantic advisors, he may have seemed a strong candidate for European leader of the year.

edit on 28-11-2010 by abaddon6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

I don't think so. World relations aren't quite as melodramatic. They will move past most of it, or feign outrage. Most of these incidences will just be dismissed, probably laughed off.

I mean, you don't think Russia and China haven't said awful and hilarious things about our leaders? About Clinton, Bush, and Obama? The Mandela one is pretty interesting because it kinda takes away some of who he was to people after prison.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by abaddon6

haha.. someone took a creative writing course.
2nd

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
this stuff won't even get reported on u.s. msm. and since the majority of americans don't even know what wikileaks is unless cnn tells them, this won't go far.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Meanwhile, Wikileaks has been a front page topic on CNN off and on since several releases ago.

In fact , it's the top story on CNN right now.

I count 4 stories on the front page screaming about Wikileaks.

So that's why I think it's a smoke screen. If it was legit and truly embarassing, they wouldn't allow the MSM outlets that are OWNED by the same people to publish it. They would ignore it wouldn't they?

I am confused a little by that.

But ultimately it causes me to not trust Wikileaks at all. Being they hang out with the MSM goons...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join