It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The use of agent provovoteurs on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yes... certainly not just trolls.

I see the same types of people no matter how mainstream the forum is, the difference here is some of these people actually get supported.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
In my opinion, this is just another internet message board despite trying to play off an over-inflated sense of being 'alternative'. The members here are almost identical in personality types to members of an NFL, video game or any other type of board.

Good members, bad members, trolls and self proclaimed experts at just about everything.

The only real difference here is we get to pretend folks that don't agree with us are secret agents rather than just wrong, lol.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I remember hearing that back in the day, after WWII,
when all the German documents had been read, that the US
knew who all the spys in America were so they went back and looked
at their work records. Too see if there was some patern to help detection in the future.

They did find something.

All the german spys and sabatours in America turned out to be
the _best_ employees, always outstanding, and examples to fellow workers.

It is my opinion that a disinfo agent will never be caught either trolling,
or being disciplined by a mod. In fact it is far more likely that they
are one or two of our Best memebers, if not a mod themself.

And that's not to say they will do anything but the right thing
with their powers as mod or member. I'm talking
sqeeky clean, perfect records.

The WWII German spys were more American than Americans.

David Grouchy
edit on 28-11-2010 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
megaphone
second line
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You should have posted some of the basics that are in that thread.

Many of the "agents" (I dislike that title because it promotes a picture of Tommy Lee Jones in a suit with shades, when in reality they're awful little, Karl Rove lookin' trolls, but it fits) will often have only one subject of interest. You can check this by clicking on their profile and browsing their post history. They may also have a very small percentage of posts in other subjects to give their account credibility. It's usually a good idea to look at those and use your judgement. Keep in mind that these disinfo agents could actually be promoting an "alternative idea" in a very poor fashion, or perhaps promoting a flat-out false idea, to completely discredit a thread or subject, or perhaps for motives we can't even be sure of. It's a tricky area.

Of course, there are many more "plants" (I can't really call them agents because they are more like crappy extras in a movie) than agents, and they are far easier to spot. Plants will have recently activated accounts, no avatars, no signatures, and only one subject of interest. Some post links and parrot overarching agendas without being able to really converse, let alone debate. Others may have intelligence, debate skills, and cunning. They almost never have any post history outside of a given topic, and sometimes stick to one thread exclusively. Megaphone, mentioned above, floods message boards with "plants," which I feel is counter-productive to their agenda on sites like ATS, because we spot them and call shenanigans quickly.

Now, they're not necessarily wrong just because they're using agents and plants, and they realize that the more intelligent readers would be aware of that, so I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of me. Add to that the fact that there could be agents and plants on BOTH sides of a debate.

I'm not really sure where this leaves me. When I see disinfo in a UFO/ancient mystery/moon and mars artifact type of thread, I tend to think a secret is being protected and the thread has struck a nerve with a protector. When I see disinfo in a current events thread, I often ignore the disinfo but I don't treat it as a sign that the side using disinformation is immediately wrong, but I'm sure the subconscious part of my brain is affected when I know that disinfo is being used, which, I can only guess, influences my opinion regardless of how impartial I want to be.
edit on 11/28/2010 by Sunsetspawn because: Apparently I type to quickly and missed a period, and apparently my first edit attept turned into a quote of my original post and made me look like a complete asshat, thus removing all of my credibility. Both posts should be removed and I should be banned for not knowing how to use the internet. F me in the ass!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn

Originally posted by Danbones
megaphone
second line
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You should have posted some of the basics that are in that thread.

Many of the "agents" (I dislike that title because it promotes a picture of Tommy Lee Jones in a suit with shades, when in reality they're awful little, Karl Rove lookin' trolls, but it fits) will often have only one subject of interest. You can check this by clicking on their profile and browsing their post history. They may also have a very small percentage of posts in other subjects to give their account credibility. It's usually a good idea to look at those and use your judgement. Keep in mind that these disinfo agents could actually be promoting an "alternative idea" in a very poor fashion, or perhaps promoting a flat-out false idea, to completely discredit a thread or subject, or perhaps for motives we can't even be sure of. It's a tricky area.

Of course, there are many more "plants" (I can't really call them agents because they are more like crappy extras in a movie) than agents, and they are far easier to spot. Plants will have recently activated accounts, no avatars, no signatures, and only one subject of interest. Some post links and parrot overarching agendas without being able to really converse, let alone debate. Others may have intelligence, debate skills, and cunning. They almost never have any post history outside of a given topic, and sometimes stick to one thread exclusively. Megaphone, mentioned above, floods message boards with "plants," which I feel is counter-productive to their agenda on sites like ATS, because we spot them and call shenanigans quickly.

Now, they're not necessarily wrong just because they're using agents and plants, and they realize that the more intelligent readers would be aware of that, so I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of me. Add to that the fact that there could be agents and plants on BOTH sides of a debate.

I'm not really sure where this leaves me. When I see disinfo in a UFO/ancient mystery/moon and mars artifact type of thread, I tend to think a secret is being protected and the thread has struck a nerve with a protector. When I see disinfo in a current events thread, I often ignore the disinfo but I don't treat it as a sign that the side using disinformation is immediately wrong, but I'm sure the subconscious part of my brain is affected when I know that disinfo is being used, which, I can only guess, influences my opinion regardless of how impartial I want to be.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I say beat them up... kick em square in the sack in sight of everyone ! scream and kick and yell profanities to call them out in front of the community...

that's what I do

you have to expose them so their overseer will threaten their job to someone with better kung-fu.

oh wait, you're not allowed to do that here I forgot... there is no freedom of speech here anyway in case some of you forgot the terms of service ? I was informed of this very recently by the mod's themselves.

bring fist, spread love !

edit on 11/28/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz
reply to post by the_0bserver85

Why should i have to think twice about my freedom of speech?

Wont happen until they cut out my toungue

With great freedoms come great responsibilities. Speech is the output of THOUGHT. If you are speaking without thought, then you are acting irresponsibly, and chances are you could end up getting yourself or others into trouble.

Think before you speak. Deny Ignorance.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by yyyyyyyyyy

I just started using ATS about a week ago, and I've already noticed pro-Zionist propaganda being unfairly favored by moderators and admins. This is a fun, albeit sketchy website for sure...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

With great freedoms come great responsibilities

for what of these great freedoms do you speak when the game is rigged ?

the people/customers represent the majority and their definition of this freedom is the only freedom to acknowledge...

I mean what kinda business is this anyway dealing in a God given and self evident right !

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
With great freedoms come great responsibilities. Speech is the output of THOUGHT. If you are speaking without thought, then you are acting irresponsibly

and by whose definition is the way a person is to speak their thought defined ? by the "minority" of the thought police/owners/moderators of this site ?

the Majority is obviously the people/customers and this goes against the majority... It is un-American and I vote to move ATS to a less democratic country to host their site in which they may find a home.

edit on 11/28/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

....I suspect that there are paid posters playing in this, our collective "sandbox" but my experience has led me to believe that they are more likely to represent any number of private special interest groups than any specific governmental agency....

I certainly agree with that statement. I also KNOW we are being watched. A small site, NONAIS (Animal ID) caught a government Agent in the act!!!

USDA Terrorism Update
Blog Notes, News, Commentary — walterj 11:28 am

I have received news from several independent sources both within the government and elsewhere that the USDA Terrorist has been identified and dealt with by the internal investigators....

Given that the person who left the original threat is not only within our government but at the very agency that is pushing NAIS down our throats with the justification of terrorism, they should be held to the highest possible standards. One must wonder what would have happened had an ordinary citizen made such threats. Given that our Congress just passed legislation suspending Habeas Corpus for anyone accused of aiding an enemy I suspect that had someone outside the government made this threat they would simply have disappeared....
nonais.org...

It is actually a fun read - the USDA caught with their pants down - in SPADES!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well honest to god,
I don't know who or what to believe on these forums anymore, or on the internet, there are the obvious blatant lies, then there is the propaganda, there is the historic revisionism and distortion, and twisting of facts to suit a theory, interesting how the biggest fairy tales are the most flagged topics.

"There's a sucker born every minute"
edit on 013030p://bSunday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I have a question for the owners of the site...

It is in the spirit of the thread...

Have you thought of having the sites attorney send a FOIA request to the DoHS, and additional to FBI, CIA, and NSA... (Do Not forget NRO)

Ask for
Investigations into ATS

Communications monitoring

Agents on the site...

Make sure each is separated as individual then one for group

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I haven't been posting that long, but I've been checking out some threads on ATS for about two years now. This idea would not surprise me in the least. Personally, I just use common sense. There's a few posters that stick out in my mind who at the very least are here to obviously parrot and repeat 'party' lines over and over and over again, and it wouldn't be a far stretch of the imagination to think they are either being instructed, and/or paid to do so.

As for worrying about what I post? I'm not going to start now. I don't subscribe to the use of violence, or support it in any way, so I would assume I'm pretty far down the totem pole in terms of folks that would be on their radar.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the internet was a corrupt and dangerous place, a breeding ground for those wishing to push an agenda, create confusion, and instill hatred.

but you can also sell or buy stuff on EBay.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ProvehitoInAltum

it is very true violence is not the answer the answer is Love of Knowledge... Some users have very subtle ways of speaking their own version of it some choose to express it other ways using their gift of speech and free thought, weather a person is using a metaphor to explain themselves or legal definitions or religious means it is all a form of expression and individualism.

you see some people may just find it funny and kind of ironic to say stuff like "kick them in the sack" which necessarily of course does not mean literally it is just another way of expressing the seriousness of the matter... hence with humor.

only love and laughter both of which feel good will destroy the enemy within...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think the thing is, simply, respect.

I come here for other opinions AND conversation. I don't want to be disrespectful when I get either!
Other people's opinions are just that. I hate some of em - I totally disagree with them. Sometimes I learn something even from the ones I disagree with though, or gain perspective from some that I'd otherwise dismiss.

What I don't like to see is people trying to shut each other up or insult each other, or trivilize other's point of view, because I don't like to do it to myself and I hope - and try - never to do it to others.

That said, there is a herd mentality that people have. If the govt. hires 10 posters to get on a thread and spout some line, it WILL shut a lot of people up, because a lot of people are afraid to go against the herd.

One has to be fearless.
Maybe a little bit of the fool too. (Like the Tarot Fool, just go at it with trust in the future and hope God or your own luck protects you from walking off the cliff that you forget to look for.)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

only love and laughter both of which feel good will destroy the enemy within...

Ya think?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

If the govt. hires 10 posters to get on a thread and spout some line, it WILL shut a lot of people up, because a lot of people are afraid to go against the herd.

The next time you come across a topic like that, will you point it out to me, thanks.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Well, sometimes it can be hard to tell THAT.
Intuition is perked, and you start noticing a lot of posters with very low post counts all saying the same thing...but how could one prove it?

So either way, one has to be fearless and state their position, knowledge and opinion with a bit of abandon.
JMO

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join