It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatred toward American Kids in online games

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
My children play alot of video games online computer and on the wii and ps3. I asked them if people make rude comment. My twelve year old said no, and wanted to know why I asked that. What we had problems with was friendenemies stealing codes to certain other games and stealing the accounts. I said to my child what do you expect when your code is 123abc? I told them to never reveal codes to others and I have had to call up the children and tell them to give back the accounts or there would be parent and school involvement with this issue. I guess all the kids learned a valuable lesson about cheating, stealing, lying, privacy, etc... Basic human behaviours to avoid.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Welcome to the world of online gaming.

Every person is prone to attack on the internet to make people feel better about their sad lives, that is just the way it is.

As a mother it's prolly the worst thing you can become involved with your child, but its really not a big deal unless you let it become one.

Unless your child is taking what is said to heart I would not worry about it, the people that say the anti-america is usually a 13 yr old male with nothing better to do.

If he is offended by the online statements, I advise either your child "mans up" and defends himself online if it bothers him that much, or just don't play online games. Its not just league of legends, its every single game.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by KDM_Souljah

When an American says speak proper English it's a joke American English is like UK rap try as hard as you want but but it just isnt right kinda thing, And no Americans dont make the biggest group of gamers per country Canada, Japan, Malaysia, UAE and a few other Asian countries beat us out of that one.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
American kids are the most obnoxious online gamers around! No, it isn't the other kids making fun of your kids it is your kids being very annoying. I have played with American kids online and all they do is trash talk, that is what your supposed to do. You have to get the other person emotional so they have a higher chance of screwing up.

In my experience, American kids are the worst to play against. At least the Asians and Europeans are usually friendly.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
When playing online games I've found it's the Americans who are rude.
Once they've found out I'm female they've been absolutely disgusting, making detailed threats of rape and violence.
I've also had them boast about their military, saying they'll bomb my country as soon as they've finished with Iraq.
And they'd be particularly revolting to anyone they believed was gay or dark-skinned.

I'm not saying all Americans are like this, but there were enough to make it worth changing my gaming hours so I'd play while Americans were asleep. Once I did that things improved greatly.
I've never yet met a rude European online.

What makes me laugh about many Americans is their horror at being labelled by what their country does, while at the same time labelling other people for what a few of their group have done.
Can't have it both ways.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
get over it...its called "psychological warfare" ...get the enemies mentality down to beat him/her. make the enemy emotionally involved and you have won 50% of the match (i played dota where it is norm to flame the enemy). Americans are normally the ones who have the biggest amount of players, so naturally they are getting flamed most Totally normal in online games
edit on 29-11-2010 by nagabonar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
who gives a crap ..its a game ...its for people who like it ...this world is not suppose to be perfect ...people can do that ..its called free speech

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
You're concerned about the site but why are you allowing your child to go to that site, it sounds absolutely terrible?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Perhaps the comments I'm about to make aren't really conducive to the flow of this thread, but they are relevant all the same.

I am informed from someone I once met - someone unable to work because of a chronic heart condition - that in his average day, generally, he'll spend up to and often over 12 hours of online x-box and playstation gaming. While I appreciate he finds it a stimulating interaction, it fascinated me no end that he enjoys to waste his time on these non-real events, but what was intriguing was his opinion of the ''competitive'' and ''uncensored'' nature of the online interactivity with people from all nations, not just Americans. Being a Brit, he only commented that Americans tend to take it a little more serious than most nations in his experience, but generally a person playing these games can be exposed to anything from a physical threat to something as trivial as name calling.

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of gaming, never will either, I do believe in the censorship element here, but vigilance, surely OP, is something you as a parent and guardian must practice out of responsibility if anything. No one is telling you what you want your children see, do or experience, but a more prudent approach should be to consider what it is you're allowing your children to be exposed to in the first place?

I accept my opinion might be out of line, but I gather that although you make reasonable point and observation, the very principle is undermined by the fact that you've already mentioned that your child is below the recommended rating.
edit on 29-11-2010 by BAZ752 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Honestly.. it's just the kids.
They are awful haha. Play call of duty the American kids just let their racist/homophobic enter self out.
The American kids tend to pick on kids from other countries aswell. Thing is.. American kids aren't as good at ripping on kids from other countries because they aren't really taught geography or history anymore haha. And kids from the other countries have more ammunition.

Don't act like it's not true.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I've been a gamer since I was a wee lad. Been online far longer than most other people have, far younger than most as well. And I can say with certainty, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

I mean, it's online. People are rude to everyone. It's the internet. And if you make it serious business, well, that's your own fault and any turmoil you experience due to someone you don't know putting words on a screen in front of you, frankly you deserve it.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
You want to hear some real obscenities and stereotyping? Hop onto Call of Duty: Black Ops online, or any other FPS online console game for that matter and prepare to have kids and adults screaming cuss in your ear.

I honestly don't know how people take offense to hearing things while playing online, I actually find it quite entertaining to listen or even edge on the loud mouths. And if for some reason you can't take the non-serious dialog taking place, many games have a player mute option for you.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Sweeping generalisations are the best generlisations IMHO! lol

Honestly, if you allow you children to play online - in an un-vetted enviroment - I mean vetted by YOU the parent not the providers - they should only give you the means to cnser/mute abuse etc...so be it.
I work in the games industry and I'm constantly hearing complaints about violence in games, its 18/Mature rating for a reason and yes , there are tw@ts online who hurl abuse, but there are plenty of good experiences to, I've made many friends purely from online gaming I'd say about 75% of my 'online mates' are from the U.S (I'm a brit).

Useful thread OP but a tad naive.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
You'll find some of the most ignorant and least intelligent people online when it comes to gaming. I realize this may come as a surprise to you, but it's nothing new. Good that you uninstalled the game. It's good for many reasons that you and your son don't play it anymore, there's better things to do with your time. I wouldn't call it terrorist activity, it's just people that are not of very high intelligence and just venting their frustration towards Americans for a number of reasons.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusPrimate

It's true the. I'm an American and I know it is. It's our fault for having such a terrible educational system.
Look the OP's post even proves my point.
www.leagueoflegends.com...

The American: you call me a fat american... that's not racist?
Foreign Player: No!

see what I mean.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I'm Canadian and do play those games. Thank goodness I don't advertise I'm a french Canadian anymore. When I did the onslaught of insults and put downs I got from Americans was unrivaled... and unprovoked. From most any other country it's not even an issue. Bear in mind. You are our southern neigbours and we shouldn't rag on each other like that but when faced with ignorant rants and incessant abuse we are bound to fire back. Have you listen to your child as he plays those games...wity out him/her knowing you are there listening? Maybe you should read the label before bying him/her a game. Those games are rated "M" for Mature for a reason.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hey there,
Been playing online games for as long as I can remember. All the geeks out there know what im talking about when I say Counterstrike, Quake, EQ. I've been around the block a few times. I can say it has alot to do with the community in game. Played Final fantasy 11 for 4 years and not once heard anything like this. Everyone was respectfull and kind hearted for the most part. There are always a few bad apples. When I started playing WoW(world of warcraft) I found out how bad it could get. Like someone else said if you show in anyway your different they will attack you for it.

I don't think it much matters what country your playing in people for the most part are idiots when they dont have to be held accountable for what they say. I bet there wouldnt be a problem if the game developers made people use there real name in the game. Then these people could be held accountable for the moronic things they say. If these people are talking about killing our president, or poisioning people you should save all data that you have and turn them into the FBI. Not homeland security they would just screw it up im sure.

Wired magazind did an article about terrorists in video games like world of warcraft.
Heres the link.
www.wired.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by minute2midnight

No, it's the norm for F2P games. F2P games let in all the riff raff free loading losers. Plus mostly an asian player base.

You won't find anything like that tolerated in a AAA mmo game. Find a good one, pay the $15/month, you'll have a much better experience.

F2P games are kinda like letting homeless people into your house. any random can log on from a net cafe and say anything they want. losers. I agree, pay the 15 bucks to play with a better class of player. the game I play (EVE) has some asshats, but not many. one of the few games on the market that requires a brain to play.
edit on 29-11-2010 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I would recommend just paying the 15 a month to find a quality MMO game if that is what you are looking for. I play World of Warcraft with my younger cousins, and there are many parental filters and such on the game to prevent your child from looking at all of that nonsense. Most of the time the players will get their accounts banned for that type of inflammatory talk. Another good one is EVE online, and Star Trek online (I don't play them personally, but have heard good things about them).

I don't find too many people on WoW that bash Americans. You get the typical trolls, but you can report them, and then you no longer see when they post on the chat channels.

If your online game time is important to you and your child, then pay for a quality service. I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for" holds true.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
OP i understand your concern if you havnt been around online games for a long time.

I have been playing on the Playstation network for the last 3 years, where you can talk to other players.

Its just friendly rivalry

I get hounded by americans with the usual bad teeth, posh accent thing, and then i respond with the typical well your just fat and stupid, there is rarely ever any hate behind it, its just one of those things, we always end up being good online friends.

Dont take it personly

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join