It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatred toward American Kids in online games

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Segador
The game is rated T, its like buying Gears of War for your child and complaining about the violence in that game.
When you play online games you should expect this.

This honestly did not need a thread, file a complaint and move on if you have a problem.
edit on 28-11-2010 by Segador because: (no reason given)

Game ratings have nothing to do with online interactions. For example, FE is rated M, but they don't even tolerate swearing in the chat channels, let alone racist or terroristic remarks.

Being rated T means nothing. Filing a complaint will do nothing. It's a F2P pile of crap and should be avoided like the plague.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Yeah f2p auto attract trashoids.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
People acting like little pieces of trash is why I really feel gimped when games coddle their online community more than the single player experience. People turn into complete monsters when given free reign and an anonymous persona.

Example: I loved Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2's cliche story mode. Especially the America Invasion parts. Problem is, it only took 6 hours for me to get through. Now I was left with online play, which isn't quite as bad on the PSN as online and Xbox as far as people screaming at you, but it was still enough to put me off the game. So I ended up returning it for a fraction of it's cost a few weeks later.
I also play Left 4 Dead almost daily as a stress reliever, and that usually means avoiding going into online and having to deal with my brain damaged AI teammates.

Sucks, but not much you can actually do about it aside from not play it. =/

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
People take everything to the extreme that they can get away with.

Terrorists, Cops, TSA agents, and coming to a PC near you...

Seriously though, it's like anything else--you can't really stop it if it's not moderated. And if that's the case it's not an "age appropriate" game. And if that's the case, you need to find another game.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

Online console games can be just as fun. I learned real quick to just unplug my headset. Who cares what the morons think. You can still enjoy yourself without listening to/talking to the idiots.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

wow was never fun cause they took out and never put back in the lan option.

but the game got even worse when they nerfed it due to americans
who couldent calculate stats , it had less then 8 stats to keep in mind
who then whined as children that its to hard when european
servers did first kills and what not on new expantions,

they made the game easier so that americans could compete with the rest of the planet,

i wouldent say its personal , its just that people are fed up with so much things the u.s spews out and does sometimes.

one can even put it in this context , what you do affects your childs world in the long run ,...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

This is kinda OT but I think the direction of WoW has nothing to do with what part of the world you're on. 'Americans can't calculate stats so they dumbed the game down.' What kind of asinine statement is that?

In all honesty OP, welcome to the internet. People have their anonymity and become very terrible human beings, especially in the world of FPS games where testosterone and a deeply comptetitve nature brings out the very worst in people.

Games that you pay a monthly fee for have some standards, free games don't. A lot of people don't treat free things with the respect that they do for things they pay for.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

read up on why the nerfed wow and you might even be supriced your self as to why it was dumbed down and in what time line they did most of the nerfing,

its an objective observation with factual content,

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I find when i'm online with MW2 or Black Ops, the best revenge is to get a higher score and 'eliminate them' over and over again... I had an issue with one individual, who was an American child (should he have been playing the game ??).... I did not say anything but focussed on shooting him again and again until he got bored and left......
He kept 'sniping' everyone but I learn't his hideaway locations and took my revenge...

If nothing else, it improved my stealth.......

As a famous man once said - 'Don't get mad, get even !'

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I've made many new friends through the medium of online gaming, particularly through a text based nation building game called Jennifer Government (or NationStates) which I've been playing since 2004. The game attracts players from all around the world although folks from the US perhaps make up the largest part of our community.

I don't care for national stereotyping, preferring instead to treat everyone as their own person. But if there are any parallels to be drawn between online gaming and real life, I'd say that young Americans tend to be very unworldly & boastful, nor do they listen to what others say. Most seem to have never left their own state, let alone the USA itself. They have no grasp of foreign languages, no appreciation that there's a whole world out there waiting for them.

And when you've had long experience of such young people, you either just give them a swerve and avoid them or stoop to their level and sling the mud like they do ... because it isn't a one way street, this, young Americans can dish it out like the best of them.

That being said, folks "my age" from USA I get on with very well and I've had the most fun times with their online company. My friends extend from Portland, Austin & New Orleans all the way east to NYC & Maine. And it's been a great experience for me too, learning about the USA & it's people.

OP, the folk your kid converses with aren't representative of their nations, I hope you'll always remember that.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Just a thought that has sprung to mind regarding FPS games and the rest..

Maybe ATS should organise a directory of online usernames only, no other details so when some of the game players on this site are 'releasing their angers' by playing these games then we can recognise or even join games with other ATS members.....

Hang on that sounds like a club or something......! No maybe not such good idea, i don't know.... just thinking out aloud on a cold snowy but very sunny Sunday morning in the UK....

Cheers

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
reply to post by links234

read up on why the nerfed wow and you might even be supriced your self as to why it was dumbed down and in what time line they did most of the nerfing,

its an objective observation with factual content,

you are the reason this topic was created. You yourself are generalizing Americans and how stupid we are, yet you can't even spell "surprised". If your statement is true, link it.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I do that too. Not in that game but in another one. Why? It's not just for the trolling. It's sticking it to opposing player who then loses their marbles. That results in them playing bad. I've gotten tons of kills in one game cause they obviously recognize me and wan't revenge. They simply stop thinking strategy and tactics and just rage. I know it's cheap but I'm not a good player so I use whatever I can

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I have played a lot of pc mmo's and while I have witnessed a lot of trolling and other things I have hardly seen what the OP is talking about. Even on games with games that lack enough mods, or the mods do a poor job. P2P games aren't much better than the F2P. The P2P game I currently play is much worse than a F2P game I used to play. The difference is that the mods were much more involved and did a better job.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

It's not 'cheap' tactics, it's intelligent play designed to undermine the opposition......... It's actually quite rewarding to see a loud mouth lose their cool and ultimately leave... it's a nice clean form of justice and superiority....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
American kids are terrible at LoL.

Not to sound like a racist or anything but the game requires actual skill and coordination/fine motor skills.

Not things that can be picked up in front of the idiot box.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Slightly off topic but relevant..
When i purchased COD i registered as "FREI KORP" for the online multi player game, I did this as a little social experiment to gauge "gamers" reactions.(Freikorp being a Nazi unit in WW2). The usual reaction i received was as i expected, It ranged from Nazi pig to Jew hater and the usual slaggings, usually leading to a vote then banned, As i suspected would happen.

Then i logged on to German servers (COD) and was surprised by the over whelming response i received,
The German gamers would invite me to join their clans and make me part of their squads and generally make me welcome, they knew i was a UK player but this didn't seem to matter,
So i think its all to do with "being" part of the clan, and not really a racial issue, (or was it ??)

But on the other hand IMO some (not all) Americans do rise to the "bait" a little to quickly for my liking, IMO,

Obviously no disrespect to " mature " Americans, Look forward to thrashing you on BF2 up:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

i can tell you it is lke this in all online games. In games, people just dont give a damn about reality, they mock everything outside their virtual world. Swearing and insults are the most common langages in video games. If you are shocked for so little, you better dont dig depper because it is a world you old people wouldnt understand and accept. It is madness but you cant change it and a lot of kids are affected by it, in a very bad way.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
"Review..
The player's hate american's..With a Passion..make a character named usa or american ect.. you will find out. "

Protip: Don't try to announce your nationality.
Why? Because people could care less in LoL.
And because you yourself are announcing the stereotype that American's are a-holes that try to "brag about their oh so great country at every slight chance they get".
[Hint: Most people are fed up with "Americans" on the internet. Mostly because people with attitudes like "whatever man, this is america!!" but it's not..internet is international playing field. Nationality doesn't matter.]
Want to know why they say these things? To piss other people off. Simple as that. It's called Trolling, pretty normal for the internet.
Also, it's not rare to be called names in LoL. Especially if you're not cooperating with your team very well.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Like a wise man once said: Normal person + Internet anonymity = total douchebag.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join