It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese government to make 'urgent' announcement

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Breaking : South Korean president laughs at Chinese offer (me right again
)

(URGENT) Pres. Lee made clear to Chinese official resumption of six-way talks "not timely": Cheong Wa Dae

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yea they need to talk right now. Not later.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

No, thankfully your fantasies have not come true.

China said "we do what we can, but lets talk later".... Doesn't seem "urgent" to me.

Oh well, I'll admit I fell for the hype.

Time to sleep.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
What? what happened?
did they speak already? Are we at war? are the nukes coming? should I run to the vault? -looks for his vault-tek suit-

gah...now the internet has turned useless...

What happened was that China totally failed to take this situation by the scruff of the neck. What was needed was to go give Kim a smack around the head, or tell the USA/SK to go play somewhere else. Instead it looks like they've suggested a friendly get-together in a few weeks to talk it over.

If China wants to be a world player then it needs to grow a pair.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

(URGENT) Pres. Lee made clear to Chinese official resumption of six-way talks "not timely": Cheong Wa Dae

Basically: No.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
As I recall, NK was not keen on continuing with the six party talks.

Could China's urging that the talks continue, in Beijing, be a veiled way of telling NK that China does not, and will not, support any aggressive actions by NK?

In short, has China just "written off" North Korea?

Will this quell tensions, or enourage more provocative actions?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Now what will be important is SK-US response... probably laugh at China and say that China isn't helping...

edit on 28-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

And you are probably right, but all things considered, calling the parties back to the table for talks was the best route for China to take. They were not going to alienate N.K. because that could have unpredictable results, as we all know. And they were not going to demand an end to the drills, because they know the U.S. and S.K. would not back down. The U.S. will stand by S.K. ... and S.K. will not back down. They do, and that pretty much tells N.K., or any rogue nation for that matter, that they can get away with whatever they please if they follow the precedents that N.K. have set.

The big question, which you mentioned, is what will the U.S./S.K. response be. And... to go one step further, what happens if N.K. attacks before a response from both S.K. and U.S.?
Should we expect S.K. to want to return to the table for talks with a nation that as we speak are prepping S2A missiles along the border?

Again, while we would all (well, ok, most of us maybe?) would like a peaceful resolution, the fact is that talks will do nothing more then extend the inevitable. While I am by no means a war monger, and believe that cooler heads can prevail more often then not, I have to admit, maybe this is the right time to work with China to resolve this issue once and for all.

I thought someone previous posted about China installing a new gov't in N.K.... and maybe that's a good idea. The U.S. cant just walk in and take over, it wont work in N.K. Very little is known outside of N.K. but judging from news specials and the such, they do not appear to like the west very much, and in particular, the U.S.
S.K., because of their alliance with the U.S. would not be able to take over N.K.'s gov't. China may be a logical choice, although the U.S. may be resistant to this, as would S.K. for fear that China may want to move into S.K. and take over the Korean peninsula.

The fact is, I dont see talks even happening. I dont see S.K. agreeing to sit down with N.K. right now. I think S.K. has had enough at this point.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Actually...perhaps the best thing China can do is to be completely blaise about the whole thing...make it as if it wasn't even much of a thought and talk about where the next step is.

This tactic actually does work in at least real life examples...someone has something really horrible to them, and instead of keeping the mind in that moment, you focus back on what was going on beforehand and pass off the incident as annoying, but ultimately inconsequential...lots of times, when two sides are stressed and don't know how to react to whats at hand...they will both grasp at the person simply sidestepping the issue entirely and moving on without much comment...

I think this may be how NK and SK are currently feeling...both have their back up and not sure how to move past this without losing face...China may have just offered them that option...now, the question is...will they take it or not.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

@#$%
24 hour news channel my arse

I got a choice...watch CNN heros rerun for the 30th time...Lockup on MSNBC, or Conservatism and Reagen on Fox.

you would think one of these 24 hour news channels would..you know...be talking news!!!

Al Jazeera

Al Jazeera reports the news fairly often. They do run special reports and the like between news segments, but they don't last more than an hour.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Now what will be important is SK-US response... probably laugh at China and say that China isn't helping...

Chinese government blinked! Fail!

edit on 28-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

'Face saving' is very important to the Easterners. They would rather do wrong than to admit that they had been less than perfect in the eyes of their society. Thus Easterners often failed to progress, all because of 'face' or standing in society.

Today, the CCP had lost their 'face' in the eyes of those who know about Eastern values. They had indeed backed down, with this pathetic 'return to talks'. In short, they are doing nothing to back up their crazy buffer zone neighbour lil kim.

Free Humanity had won a significant victory today, and may had averted a devasting war by not backing down to tyrants or their supported puppets.

Sun Tzi had taught :- know your enemies, know yourself. A thousand battles fought, a thousand won. Today, the commies realised traditionalist Sun Tzi was right. They know they will not be able to win against the tide of humanity, more so the 1.3 billion of their own.

The only way for China to grow strong is for the CCP to volunteering surrender its hold to power, abolish itself and give freedom to its people to democratically elect an ACCOUNTABLE govt. Without accountability to the masses, dictatorships will only harm humanity instead of helping, for absolute power only corrupts absolutely and grow adulatory selfish bootlickers around them.

With an accountable govt, wars can be averted for no human would sacrifice his loved ones and those he cares about for irresponsible and selfish causes.

We've won. Now to deal with nutcase lil kim....

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar

Could China's urging that the talks continue, in Beijing, be a veiled way of telling NK that China does not, and will not, support any aggressive actions by NK?

In short, has China just "written off" North Korea?

I believe that is entirely possible. As I mentioned earlier, this really was the only REAL option for China to take at this point. I realize some are calling for them to grow a set, but they handled this the best way they could. Maybe they wanted to break away from N.K. .... they have to be growing tired of this nonsense. This could be a great way to do that without it looking blatant on the world stage.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

What? what happened?
did they speak already? Are we at war? are the nukes coming? should I run to the vault? -looks for his vault-tek suit-

gah...now the internet has turned useless...

What happened was that China totally failed to take this situation by the scruff of the neck. What was needed was to go give Kim a smack around the head, or tell the USA/SK to go play somewhere else. Instead it looks like they've suggested a friendly get-together in a few weeks to talk it over.

If China wants to be a world player then it needs to grow a pair.

choosing to promote the morally correct and safest thing is wrong?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I'll just leave this here.

Tuesday 23rd November, 11:55 AM JST

U.S. envoy says six-party talks on N Korea won't resume

TOKYO — Talks among six nations to get North Korea to abandon its nuclear programs in return for aid and other concessions won’t resume while Pyongyang works on a new uranium enrichment facility, a U.S. envoy said Tuesday.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
And now the news coming out says that the South had told China that their idea of new nuclear talks was stupid 12 HOURS+ AGO.

# #ROK Pres. Lee told the visiting Chinese officials that earlier today here in Seoul. #Koreas 13 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# #ROK Pres. Lee says it's not timely to discuss resuming the 6-way talks. 13 minutes ago via TweetDeck

But China thought somehow it was a good idea to say it anyway... and waited all this time for it... ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
YonHap

SEOUL, Nov. 28 (Yonhap) -- South Korean President Lee Myung-bak told a visiting senior Chinese official that Seoul was not interested in the early resumption of the six-party talks over North Korea's nuclear program as it is more urgent to deal with Pyongyang's belligerence, Lee's office Cheong Wa Dae said. In a meeting with Lee earlier in the day, Chinese State Councilor Dai Bingguo raised resuming the long-stalled nuclear talks that it chairs, according to senior presidential secretary for public affairs Hong Sang-pyo.

This is better than what I originally took it for, but it is still not going in-depth enough for me. Hopefully when I wake up in a few hours there will be more updates to read. Positive updates with any luck.
edit on 28-11-2010 by SweetRevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
S. Korea clarifies objection to early resumption of six-way talks

SEOUL, Nov. 28 (Yonhap) -- South Korean President Lee Myung-bak told a visiting senior Chinese official that Seoul was not interested in the early resumption of the six-party talks over North Korea's nuclear program as it is more urgent to deal with Pyongyang's belligerence, Lee's office Cheong Wa Dae said.

In a meeting with Lee earlier in the day, Chinese State Councilor Dai Bingguo raised resuming the long-stalled nuclear talks that it chairs, according to senior presidential secretary for public affairs Hong Sang-pyo.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

I would like to believe you are right

however, I personally believe that the world is not so elegantly structured...a lord of the land will not willingly give up his land, tradition or not...he will instead spin the facts to make him seem perfect in his execution

Keep in mind...ultimately, they own the media, so they will relay the events in context of however they want the narrative to appear.
If they have given up on North Korea...then no doubt it will be seen in China as how North Korea has broken away from the great protector China and has rebelled against the wisdom of the chinese government...and the people will probably buy it.

But I am not judging how they run things...I am not wise enough to know what the truth is over there...what I do know is that China seems fairly neutral about the US playing in the yellow sea, and that means north korea is alone for now...

Incidently...all journalists have been told to leave the island...not the people..just the journalists...
media blackout in the area? hmm...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

(LEAD) S. Korea orders journalists to leave Yeonpyeong Island SEOUL, Nov. 28 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's defense ministry ordered journalists on a border island attacked by North Korea's shelling last week to leave by the end of Sunday, citing concerns of possible "provocative action" by the North in the wake of the South's joint naval drills with the United States.

"At this stage, it is unpredictable what kind of a provocative action North Korea will take using the South Korean-U.S. joint drills as a justification," the ministry said in a statement. "So we ask journalists on Yeonpyeong Island to leave within today."

The South's military "cannot guarantee" the safety of journalists in case of North Korea's provocation, it said.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I think your assessment is very wrong.

Sure a carrier has a great damage potential. But reading you I feel that you believe the Chinese are completely defenceless and 'won't know what hit them' until all their key infrastructures are gone. Please

Trust me, China has eyes on every US carriers.

The moment one gets too close and something suspect is launched towards China, they will throw everything they have. Included subs that the US navy can't even detect, the largest airforce on this planet and all the carrier killers missiles they are proud of.

A carrier is a big glass cannon, a prime target sitting duck. If China and the US are ever at war, they will be taken out first, you can be sure of it.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join