It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mirror Turns Dolphins Into Total Hams (with video)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Experiment proves dolphins not only recognize themselves in a mirror (as opposed to believing it's another dolphin) but may spend time lingering and playing, looking at themselves and displaying curiosity about themselves... Are dolphins Sentient beings? I've always believed it possible...

CNN video link

Mirror self-recognition in the bottlenose dolphin: A case of cognitive convergence - 2000 study

Abstract

The ability to recognize oneself in a mirror is an exceedingly rare capacity in the animal kingdom. To date, only humans and great apes have shown convincing evidence of mirror self-recognition. Two dolphins were exposed to reflective surfaces, and both demonstrated responses consistent with the use of the mirror to investigate marked parts of the body. This ability to use a mirror to inspect parts of the body is a striking example of evolutionary convergence with great apes and humans.

The capacity for mirror self-recognition (MSR) has been found only in humans and great apes (1–8). In humans, MSR does not emerge reliably until 18–24 months of age (9) and marks the beginning of a developmental process of achieving increasingly abstract psychological levels of self-awareness, including introspection and mental state attribution (10, 11). The first evidence for MSR in a nonhuman species was experimentally demonstrated in the common chimpanzee (1), but numerous subsequent attempts showed no convincing evidence of self-recognition in a variety of other primates and nonprimates, including monkeys, lesser apes, and elephants (12–18). All of these species, including African gray parrots (19) demonstrate the ability to use a mirror to mediate or guide their behavior. A provocative debate continues to rage about whether self-recognition in great apes implies that they are also capable of more abstract levels of self-awareness (20). Therefore, research on self-recognition in other species will have profound implications for the idea that humans are the only species to conceive of their own identity.

The study concludes with the question: Are dolphins capable of introspection and mental state (emotional) attribution?

If they are capable of self-awareness, then perhaps they are capable of so much more than we (Humans) have ever considered possible.

edit on 27-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 28/11/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wow!

Thank you so much for that amazing video!

It makes me think of this part of the Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy

It makes me feel slightly worried for the Dolphin though, how long before they get image concious and start going on diets?
edit on 27-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Whales and dolphins are much more intelligent than we think, ... we still have no idea what they are saying, yet scientists have discovered they do have names assigned to themselves, .... and even talk about other whales/dolpins who arent around.

are they gossiping about them ?? imagine the implications of that.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I smiled throught he whole thing for so many reasons.

What a joy to have discovered this beautiful piece, thankyou.

They really seemed happy huh? I always looked and sense, at animals I see on TV and video.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
These are my own two personal "Dolphins" It's really hard to get a picture of them as they never stop darting around

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3c564a0cb098.jpg[/atsimg]

Even these guys are WAY more intelligent then I assumed when I got them, they do a little "I'm hungry" dance when it's their feeding time, and if I change anything in the tank they will go straight over and find how many ways they can swim in and out of /around / under it.
They also recognise me, they won't do their hungry dance for strangers

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I appreciated what the Dr. made a point of stating at the end of the video... not only the importance of looking at the conservation efforts, but the acceptance that we are not alone and that there is a great deal of intelligence around us.

edit on 27-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I have always loved dolphins and felt a connection with them when I lived in the Fl. Keys. I miss seeing them play and jump in the ocean. Amazing videos - thank you for sharing and reconnecting me to wonderful memories.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Thank you for sharing your personal little dolphins, adorable. When photographing them you might want to set your camera to a faster shutter speed.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Are dolphins Sentient beings? I've always believed it possible...

Why possible?

I say yes, they have been around longer than humans. Why not?

Their Brain size when compared to their body mass is proportionately larger than humans.
They are very intelligent, They have an advanced form of communication. That we Mental Giants [Human Ego] haven't been able to figure out, yet they understand our human visual and vocal commands

All advanced forms of life on Earth tend to also sadly wage war or fight group on group. Chimpanzees, Humans and yes, sadly dolphin pod on pod fight over food and territory.

edit on 27-11-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Sentient? Yes I think so. I had a Dolphin save my life years ago and will never forget the experience. Great video and I can give an (unscientific) opnion...They know more than we do.

R

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hoagy1199

A dolphin saved your life? How amazing... Yes, I know there are many similar stories, but to have it happen to you must have been life changing, in many ways.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I had already knew dolphins are as smart as humans. For some reason when dolphins came into mind, i was thinking about Dr. Jonathan Reed and his alien experience.( I don't want to make a long post but i'll try and make sense of it) If you guys know about his story, he recovered an alien in the woods that he calls "Freddy." he takes it back to his cabin in the woods and put it in the freezer thinking it was dead, but it wasn't. he takes it out and examines it, took tissue, blood, muscle samples. They say Freddy has 46 chromosome, which is the same as humans . BUT 9 of the 46 chromosome that Freddy have was chromosome related to Dolphins. There was this one clip where Dr. Jonathan Reed was communicating with Freddy and he sounded dolphin like. Just my 2 cents of all these stuffs just clicking together.

edit on 27-11-2010 by unknown619er because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2010 by unknown619er because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by davespanners

Thank you for sharing your personal little dolphins, adorable. When photographing them you might want to set your camera to a faster shutter speed.

The problem is I don't want to use a flash because I'm worried that it will startle them, the worse thing for fish is stress it can kill them really quickly, I guess I could set my 1kw studio lamps on them but I'm worried for their tiny little fishy eyes.
My girlfriend has taken my camera with her to Scotland at the moment else I would take a better picture

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This doesn't make much sense to me. I can only guess that they are putting on this show because this is what is expected from the observer.

They are doing this to please whover is watching on the other side.

If this is not the case and they really are looking at themselves in the mirror, it would be a little disappointing. I thought it was only humans who had this flaw of constantly looking at themselves in a mirror. So many people don't even realise it is not even a true reflection they are seeing.

Vain dolphins? Strange.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Not vain. Self aware. The studies show that dolphins develop self-awareness similar to human child development (approx. 6 mo. to one year old)... Would a one year old child be considered vain for looking in the mirror and realizing they were looking at themselves? For being curious?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

fair enough point if thats how you feel. i dont believe myself though, that looking in a mirror has got anything to do with self awareness.

(this would assume that an animal that does not respond like this in front of a mirror is not self aware.most people cannot communicate with animals so we can't really draw any conclusions from this.)

edit on 27-11-2010 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

double post
edit on 27-11-2010 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Whales and dolphins are much more intelligent than we think, ... we still have no idea what they are saying, yet scientists have discovered they do have names assigned to themselves, .... and even talk about other whales/dolpins who arent around.

are they gossiping about them ?? imagine the implications of that.

I am pretty sure they are gossipng about the scientists "studying" them....

Lovely stuff, of course, and thank you for posting it.
I only wish the video had no commentary because it's just embarrassing to listen to.

It takes one to know one.... so, no wonder humans in general, and that prominently includes scientists, have taken so long to even fathom the idea that dolphins (to name just one species, could be intelligent, let alone way more intelligent, and in different ways, than humans.
No wonder humans don't understand anyone, while animals do understand other animals, including humans.
And THEY - humans - have the pathetic nerve of a nitwit to pretend they are figuring them out?
(Anyone interested in this subject should read Lilly's and other early researchers' observations about dolphins. You'll see what I mean.)

Most of all, however, I resent the (expected) blatant fascism of the last statement: so it's only intelligence - as defined by humans , no less - that deserves respect and gentle treatment?
Wow.
Expected, of course, but.... wow.

By the same token, humans themselves who are mentally impaired should be afforded no respect or gentle treatment.
These researchers would deny this conclusion, of course, but logic is inexorable. You may try and mess with it, but it's not going to go away.

edit on 27-11-2010 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2010 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this video of these amazing entities!
I can't stop smiling, but dolphins seem to have that power.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This is incredible! Thanks for posting!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join