It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt or India?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I am just starting thinking about taking my kids (ages 13 & 17) on a vacation of a lifetime (hopefully). I'm thinking 2 weeks in either Egypt or India. My goal for this vacation is to broaden their world view. They have never been out of the US (that they remember) and only a couple of times been out of the eastern US. I won't be able to do this again for a very long time (due to financial obligations) so I want them to get the most out of it as possible. It will only be me (their mother) and them. I know that almost every part of the world seems dangerous at the moment but I don't think it's going to get any better any time soon so....

Which one and why?

edit on 27/11/2010 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I would suggest India

Egypt is of course dangerous...but more to the point...its "censored". Meaning...there are eyes everywhere..you can visit the pyramids but not get too close. You can visit the museums but not touch. its very loud there (endless honking of their horns day and night...its how they communicate).

India...its a beautiful experience...the music, the people, the completely different culture. They have found a way to keep true to their culture while adapting western influence also.

Also, there is a feeling...when I was in egypt (before understanding how different the muslim world was to the west...very nieve..sent there on business), I felt tension and angst...india is a uplifting and open feeling...

I know the draw to Egypt...I had it for ages..romantic notions and whatnot...and no real interest in indian culture...funny how the experience was the opposite of what I thought it was going to be.

anyhow...good luck either way...once again, I highly -highly- encourage you to consider india over egypt..sometimes dreams are better than reality...and the dream of what egypt may be like is better than what egypt actually is...that is what my experience was..and I love travelling and exploring new cultures.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

india is nice as long as you stay away from the big cities not because of security but just because they are so cramped and the humidity and stuffiness just gets worse and worse, but still, new delhi, mumbai, bangalore, hyderabad are all nice no matter what (anything new is worth getting to discover). go to places like kerala, goa, udaipur, jaipur, shimla, rishikesh, coimbatore, of course agra, haridwar, amritsar, palitana...all the traditional cultural places. fascinating architecture, beautiful natural landscapes, ancient traditions and many stories for each city. really fun, random, wild, colorful, always something new and interesting around the corner. great street food. art aplenty. one thing to keep in mind, when you come to india, india will go back with you. meaning be prepared to bring some extra luggage. you've got to be adventurous to really enjoy india to its fullest, otherwise youll just be stressed out all the time. too bad youve missed out on all the major festivals for the year though.

idk about egypt, although i do have some kurtas made from Egyptian cotton. very nice stuff.
edit on 27-11-2010 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
one more thing...

Its actually a -really- good time to travel now verses wait. as much as half of America may complain, the rest of the world is currently looking favorably at America...not in what we do, but Obama is a rockstar the second you step out of the US...and so the dangerous anti-american places are not overly rabid for now.

Travel around when Bush was in his 4th or 5th year and you were endlessly getting into debates, or being eyed down...now people around the world want to hug you because they like Obama.

Again, agree or disagree with his politics...but in regards to travelling...you no longer have to claim your America...They don't understand the politics here...they don't want to..they just like him for his speeches and what he represents...dont try to give them conservative talking points...just smile, say hope and change, and move on. heh

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I have to be fully honest with you,

Egypt is a culturally inspiring country.

It is not "censored" - I have pictures of me inside the Pyramids. Sure they say please dont take a photo when you go inside - but thats as far as censorship will go.

The beauty of it is, you can walk around ,sit on and be in complete serene silence by yourself at the Pyramids and take in their breath-taking power. If it were the UK or USA it would be fenced off with security, cameras and everything else surrounding it. Here there are no fences and also no security issues - apart from if you apparently accept a Camel ride there from one of the local gypsie's its said they will take you off into the Sahara and demand payment to get back (lol).

Its fairly corrupt - but in a good old fashioned sense. You can get a real cab journey and bribe your way for different things.

Its a fantastic perspective on Islamic, Middle-East and Arabic culture and a real must see. Kid friendly , family friendly, the weather is lovely (if you like heat, I mean, its HOT there) and the well-presented cuisine on the Naama Bay stretch is lovely.

I would also go as far to say Egypt is safe.

On India, my elder brother has travelled all over India and also came back with some breath taking stories.

I'd say for a family holiday, for a widening-experience and for something which is geared up precisely for your needs that you go to Egypt.

Its culturally stored and real and I have some fond, fond memories.

edit on 27-11-2010 by glowsticks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by glowsticks

Well, you have your opinion, I have mine...my experience of egypt is from a 6 week work trip in Cairo...so that in itself may have jaded the experience due to being in a office for most of it...the loss of sleep from the horns (even in a resort you still had nonstop horns), and a few isolated incidents that got my blood boiling.

but either way...I would recommend visiting egypt verses not..just if there is going to be one or the other and not both...go with the assured culture clash good time verses what I personally consider is a crapshoot.

I will say the cairo museum was amazing...I think the 6 weeks I was there, I spent about 20 hours total wandering around, reading everything...touching the statues (of course eyeing carefully everywhere before the quick touch...heh...meh, gotta risk it now and then).

The food was unique...ate a pidgeon...couldn't muster up the nerve to try the sheeps brains though, although I regret not trying it...and ya...hot...but hey, its a desert.

Went on a nile boat ride..had bellydancing and such...good times...but I almost got my head chopped off...a harem dressed girl came beside me for a picture...I (unthinkingly) put my arm around her waist...the two guards nearby (dressed like freaking ancient egyptian warriors with big long blade thingies) quickly started walking towards me...luckily I seen the issue and quickly put my arm back..apologising and claiming ignorance...lol...the decapitation was not necessary.

hint...dont touch the women unless they are christian...(I was told that the christians were sort of the "naughty ones" there...you can touch them..touch a muslim girl and you may find your head on a pike)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You guys have not helped make my decision at all.
They both sound great and educational. But, which one is safer? Remember, it's only going to be me (a woman) and the kids. How do each of the cultures view that situation? Is it even something to think about?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
You guys have not helped make my decision at all.
They both sound great and educational. But, which one is safer? Remember, it's only going to be me (a woman) and the kids. How do each of the cultures view that situation? Is it even something to think about?

Egypt is ultimately islam
how does the muslim culture view single western mothers?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

If safety is the chief concern, India will be the better bet...mostly due to being a single woman traveling with children. The other part of it is, the real culture of Egypt is that of the past, and outside of those places showcasing the splendor of that ancient time, it's not the most pleasant or cultural place, whereas India is awash in it's culture and history.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Definitely India for the safety issue.

Be aware that its a huge culture shock. Just one small example: if a guy drops dead in the street, he may just lay there rotting in some areas. The Indians are very respectful of others religious beliefs.. and this played into it. The man was left there.. and people walked around him for a while. Not out of disrespect, but out of total respect. SOmetimes what you see there with a western perspective isnt the real truth of the matter. The people are wonderful.. especially if you spend the time to investigate their culture before you drop in and expect them to conform to you. Thats one of the largest reasons why many Americans have an issue with India.. willful ignorance.
Beautiful homes are beside shacks without running water, all different religions thrown in the same pot.. and an amazing harmony you wont find in ANY other country. Hey, theyre an old culture.. theyve had a lot of practice.
I have a great love and respect for the Indians as a people. I had a more pleasant experience there than in Germany! In India, there are a plethora of languages, so brushing up with a few words isnt possible. Youll find that most english speaking indians... which are most.. will stop and help if you need assistance. Medical care is better there than youd think as well. We had free food shoved at us from a small restaurant owner who wanted us to try ALL of his food .. he said it was the real Indian food and just seemed to want us to experience it. He was proud of his country and his business.. very clearly! If your daughters want a choli or salwar kameez.. they will fawn all over them and make it right there to fit them perfectly. I guess its just a warmth there that was most memorable. Oh .. and the food..

In Egypt ( which I love also) your daughters may find themselves the target of religious oppression.. regardless of your national status. One man in our party at the last visit was kicked in the nuts by a teenager who yelled NO MORE BABIES! .. Go figure! We assumed he meant no more american babies
Its true that the Muslim issue is also an issue there, perhaps more so than other countries in reality.. I guess its the geography and clashing cultures in the last 2 decades. There are issues there that really prevent you from experiencing Egypt as was possible in the not too distant past. If youd have went there 20 or so years ago... it would have been vastly different, but for now it would be my opinion to avoid it with your kids.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Gees.. you guys are gonna get me FIRED!
after considering all of your wonderful input, I think we'll be visiting India, but then I thought... well, if we're going to India, why not visit China since it's right next door. Then, I thought, well, that would require more than 2 weeks to visit India AND China... you get the message here...

I wonder what my boss will say to me taking a month off??
I guess I have to make a decision...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Egypt is very material. India is more spiritual.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Egypt is fascinating. India is much larger and varied. From towering mountains to large number of beaches with many national parks and holy towns. As it seems to be your first visit in the Oriental direction, I would recommend India. Especially because of its trains. India has world heritage trains apart from many other things. Please keep in mind, India is a very large country and it is wise to pick up a few places for your first trip and not rush through the whole country. About the world heritage trains, please read here more. World Heritage Trains in India

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'd personally love to see the pyramids, but india also has immense amounts of interesting culture
edit on 15-12-2012 by revered because: addg

new topics

top topics

join