It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Help those that need help. I'm not bothered if you don't know them or not, just ask.

Bravo, sir. I concur. You'd be surprised how little the oldies can get around in weather like this who maybe don't have family near-by to help them out. (If you can) Bring them a box of tinned food and some biscuits and tea-bags. Don't even ask, just bring a few meagre supplies to their door-steps and I guarantee, they'll be mighty appreciative!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I live on the Yorkshire/Lancashire border. It was actually relatively mild here this morning and our rural unadopted track completely cleared. So far, not as bad for us as last year (though earlier).
Still, as I live in an out of the way spot, I learnt the lessons of last year and stocked up on everything. Plus hopefully enough leave left to take as 'snow days' if necessary.
And for the first time ever, winter tyres fitted. I understand that in some countries they are compulsory?
edit on 29-11-2010 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

hahahahahaha !!

What in earth are you panicking about?

Seriously now. Many people in the UK see a little bit of snow and start panicking, running around like headless chickens saying ''SAVE US, GOD, SAVE US NOW'' over an inch of snow!

Seriously, it's terrible. [color=gold]Makes me ashamed to be a UK citizen sometimes, seeing grown men cry over this.

One day on the internet there was a thread about snow.

All the people came into the thread wearing heavy coats,
took seats by the fire, began talking, and sipped their drinks.
Inside it was warm an cozy. Very unusual for the internet. Strange.

Then on page 8 some people appeared at the windows to the pub and
started laughing and pointing. Such fools, they said, standing in the cold.
Don't they know, they said, there is no community on the net, waste of time.

The people inside shrugged and turn back to the warm fire.

David Grouchy

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Obviously all you guys are forgetting about the winter where many people in Europe, moved to Egypt.

That was some 5,000 to 6,000 years ago. I think there was 12 tribes representing 12 nations who all banded together because the weather in general was bad even during the summer solstice, further North. Religious leaders have put quite a spin on those times and Historians can't seem to find the facts.

DNA records prove this. Now, you need to ask why they left Europe?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

One day on the internet there was a thread about snow.

All the people came into the thread wearing heavy coats,
took seats by the fire, began talking, and sipped their drinks.
Inside it was warm an cozy. Very unusual for the internet. Strange.

Then on page 8 some people appeared at the windows to the pub and
started laughing and pointing. Such fools, they said, standing in the cold.
Don't they know, they said, there is no community on the net, waste of time.

The people inside shrugged and turn back to the warm fire.

David Grouchy

Awesome!
---------------
It's nice to read about how differently people expirience snow and sub-zero teperatures.
Had an italian frind visiting a few years back, and she was shocked about how it was possible to walk without thick gloves etc when it is about -2C. She actually thougth the cold would kill her.

Early winter here this year. Yesterday was -20C (yea, do have to wear gloves at this temp), and we have a lot of snow

Two dogs and mini-skis..(perhaps a few broken bones), can't wait!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DogFin

Tho I envy you your snow
Some parts of the UK are very unprepared/disbeliving when it comes to the winter snows, hence all the toubles we have when we do get it.

For example, the deadliest avalanche in recorded British history did not happen in the much more prepared mountains of Scotland, but in the town of Lewes, Sussex, England, not only can't you get much further South before you get your feet wet and end up in France, but you won't find any mountains around here either.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 29/11/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DenyStupidity
reply to post by jazz10

hahahahahaha !!

What in earth are you panicking about?

Seriously now. Many people in the UK see a little bit of snow and start panicking, running around like headless chickens saying ''SAVE US, GOD, SAVE US NOW'' over an inch of snow!

Seriously, it's terrible. Makes me ashamed to be a UK citizen sometimes, seeing grown men cry over this.

Wow? You are Ignorant!! This thread isn't about fear mongering or twisting about a dusting of snow. Judging by your reply I can see you are a major part of your community.
The reason for the thread was my way of making you all aware or those of you that were not aware.
There should be no problems if people get together and prepare. This aint an end of the world thread but through ignorant replies like yours it could mean death. Its simple and its fact.

What sort of person would do nothing when they're adamant that this is going to be bad?
I've chose to share and help not only myself and the family but other neighbours.
As for cash running out
Bread
Milk
Sugar
Cereals
Dried fruit
That I'm so wrong about, then why is the shelves in the local shops got none?
Answer
Because deliveries can't get there and the cash machines can't be filled.
So now do you think I'm panicking? No I'm prepared.

You want to hope you don't get in a situation where you need help because being Jack doesn't work.

For all of the rest of you I'm pleased with the response.
Be safe be vigilant and be there.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It's just not letting up at all....another few inches of snow overnight, more this afternoon and yet more spectacular thundersnow. Thank god we still have power! There is now a flash warning out for the north east for the next few hours.

Flash warning

Here is a link to the loacl morning paper which will give more information if you want it. 4 inches or snow in just one hour in Aberdeen last night.

Newspaper report

The ski centres in the Cairmgorms should be doing booming business, but ironically have had to close due to drifting snow....

It's just getting dark here, and I'm watching another huge bank of cloud roll in over the foothills of the Cairngorms from the north east...I guess the flash warning in action. Still no gritters or council snowploughs, and all I've seen on the roads here today are tractors and quadbikes.

Stay safe ATS. Maybe by Wednesday we will get a break in this at least...that's what it's looking like anyway.

Cait x
edit on 29-11-2010 by caitlinfae because: of crappy typos

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

I've read your reports with great interest and gratitude, and tho this does not affect me, it does affect my collgues and work mates in Scotland, so I just wanted to say that I hope you stay safe as well

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Thank you...
. I'm fine actually...the house is warm, although it's costing a minor fortune to heat, and I have plenty in to last me till Friday, when it's stock up time again. I'm on two weeks leave from work too, fortunately, as there is no way I would be able to get in, and I don't mind being stuck at home in a weird way.

What I do have to add is that I just checked the temperature forecast for the rest of the week on the Met Office site, and they are now predicting overnight lows of -17 on Wednesday and Thursday. Maybe not so much snow during the day, but much colder night time temperatures. Please, if you're in this area, make sure you're ready for this. Make sure you can stay warm if the power goes out, and have a good stock of food. I usually find here that our temperatures are even lower than this, just because of where the house is, so it's probably gonna drop to -20 or so. Brrrrr!

Cait x

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Before I forget. Make sure you all (who may be effected) charge your mobiles. If you haven't got torches buy candles.

I can't stress how important all of this is.

Yeah I may be wrong but hey what have you lost?

Its better to need it and have it that need it and don't. Simple.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

I can imagine it's going to cost a small fortune for everyone this winter, and am sure the energy companies are going to be rubbing their hands together with glee, and in the meanwhile the elderly and poor suffer
.. still -20 is pretty cold and you still need to take care too

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hey there DClairvoyant,

I don't have access to a video (yeah I know I'm a dinosaur in the 21st century) ... but I will borrow my firends camera tomorrow and upload some stills for you to see.

Woody

Originally posted by DClairvoyant
reply to post by woodwytch

Would it be too much to ask, could you provide a video of the weather in your region as I would really appreciate it and would be nice to see what all this talk-of-snow is about? I have tried youtube though there doesn't appear to be many video's uploaded, only from 2008 and 2009 and early 2010.

Cheers anyway,

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
How much snow did you get over in yorkshire last night? Heard it was pretty bad (or good, depending on whose perspective).

btw, looking forward to seeing your pictures

Originally posted by woodwytch
Hey there DClairvoyant,

I don't have access to a video (yeah I know I'm a dinosaur in the 21st century) ... but I will borrow my firends camera tomorrow and upload some stills for you to see.

Woody

Originally posted by DClairvoyant
reply to post by woodwytch

Would it be too much to ask, could you provide a video of the weather in your region as I would really appreciate it and would be nice to see what all this talk-of-snow is about? I have tried youtube though there doesn't appear to be many video's uploaded, only from 2008 and 2009 and early 2010.

Cheers anyway,

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
East Yorkshire, specifically Hull, didn't get any snow last night, but there is some wind off the North Sea today and it feels really cold out there today. Bitingly cold, scarf wrapped round the nose time in case you lose it to frostbite.

It's so cold one of the cats took one look, shook her paw at the open door, and decided against going out. The other one has a screw loose and went out anyway, he'll be on the windowsill looking pitiful before too long.

The clouds look like they are full of snow and ready to drop any minute, I would not be surprised if we got another dusting, in fact as I type it's started to snow, thankfully not the massive flakes we got yesterday.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Not to sure why you got stars for your post.

Anyhow. I was pointing out how stupid we are as UK residents to worry about any of this cold weather. My girlfriend who lives in sweden shows me pictures around now regularly of bad weather snow in crazy amounts, they are not prepared for it no more then we are, yet they don't moan about it. They get up, shovel tones of snow and go on with there day, we see a trickle of snow and say ''right, im not going to work today!''..... It's just amazing to me, people are going soft.

That's what I was laughing at.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DenyStupidity

I agree with you to a point. but sometime the snow disrupts public transport so much that you really cannot get anywhere. A few years ago there was light snow in the morning., and i decided to take the hour long trip to college. only to get there and find out it was closed.by this time and the light snowfall was starting to turn into a blizzard.
To get back it took me about four hours, by public transport (not yet old enough to drive) I took half the journey by train, then had to wait around for a bus service because the trains were stopped. then the bus was stopped because it couldn't get very far(too many snow covered hills, couldn't get up them) thenIi had to walk the rest of the way home in snow that in some places came up to my knees,while being battered by strong winds and whatI I can only describe as a snow storm. it was so hard to walk through. a normally easy 2 mile walk, turned into a brutish hike through the snow, I really wanted to get home.
near the end,at the crescent of the final hill much of the snow had started to turn to slush,erasing everything I had battled to get through. I didn't care, i was just happy to get home.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
We have a bit of snow in London today.
Not enough for a snowman yet though

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Here in the East Midlands it's not that bad. Been snowing on and off all night and all day so far but not enough to cause complete chaos, in saying that I can't believe the gritters haven't been round. I've seen cars grounded, couple of bumps, just generally people being stupid on the roads, for instance you don't get up someones arse at the best of times, let alone when it's snowing and you can't stop as quickly.

Britain has a spinkling of snow and everyone calls in to work, the whole country comes to a standstill, kinda funny.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
And so it begins

M25 blocked in both directions, multiple traffic accidents
bbc travel

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join