It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hadron Collider detects 'Big Bang' matter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Hadron Collider detects 'Big Bang' matter

www.cbc.ca

A phase of matter created moments after the Big Bang is thought to have been detected at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

"Striking" evidence of a quark-gluon plasma has been observed by a team of researchers, including Canadians, at the facility near Geneva, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) announced Friday

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Large Hadron Collider proves the universe was once a liquid

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73c59a667473.jpg[/atsimg]
A cross-section of the cylindrical ATLAS experimental setup is shown on the left. The lines in the centre are tracks left by the jets of particles produced during the collision. The lighter green and red rings are the detectors, while the dark red and green bars (and the graphs at centre and right) represent the signals they detect. Normally, a collision will generate two signal peaks representing two jets, one on either side of the cylinder. However, in this case, one disappears. (ATLAS experiment/CERN)

This will be the first time, if true, 'Big Bang' matter has been detected. What amazes me, besides the fact of all these new discoveries that are being made, is how scientist have a theory, that the Universe was a liquid, a few hundred millionths of a second AFTER the big bang.

Quark-Gluon Plasma is a extremely hot soup of very tiny subatomic particles, which they say the Universe was made up of for those few hundred millionths of a second after the big bang.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Although I wouldnt dare to assume anything about the correct way to interpret the results of an experiment as complicated and utterly fantastic as the LHC , I must point out that when scientists say "soup" they are rarely suggesting a liquid state. Sometimes , especialy in physics, they refer to collections of matter, in a way that objectifies them , so that you or I can attempt (poorly) to visualise them.
The word they used here, may suggest that , like soup, the mixture of particles after the big bang, was dense, and prone to convection like movements within its total mass, caused by the heat they refered to. They use words like this because particle physics is often utterly outside the bounds of human experience, something that we find difficult to paint a picture of in our minds. Funnily enough, until recently it was thought that attempting to visualise a particle, or a reaction in terms of colours, shapes, and familiar concepts was a huge fallacy, and it is only recently that physicists have thrown that old rule to the wind. Since they put that old rule away, they have made leaps and bounds of progress, with developments like string theory and the creation of bigger and better experiments. Its unfair to say that these advances would be impossible without that loosening of the intellectual boundaries , but they wouldnt have come as far or as fast as they have.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Is it really that difficult to accept the facts that we were CREATED and everything in our universe was created, as well? I mean, WHAT IS THE SHAME IN THAT? Why is it so hard for people to understand that? Do we REALLY NEED proof? If so, doesn't the earth reveal the proof?

Everyday, the sun rises and sets, then the stars come out and play. Now, if you've ever spent enough time looking UP, you will notice the pictures that someTHING created. 1 picture is Orion, another is the big dipper, and the little dipper; and all the other 'constellations' there are. They didn't just POP into place, they were PUT THERE!

All mankind needs to do, is admit that there's someTHING greater than us. I don't need science to 'show' me anything....i can see it with my own eyes. Scientists are the ones in DENIAL. They can keep doing their little tests, to find out how it all started, and they'll never be satisfied with the results. Results that point to a CREATOR!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jamiejames

Are you suggesting that those who wish to understand the mechanics by which creation functions are in someway spiritualy inferior to those who merely sit back and watch it all happen? What gives you the right to judge? The very suggestion that these feilds of research are somehow pointless could not be more short sighted. If anything these experiments allow us increasingly more detailed glimpses of the genius of creation, and the more we understand about the environment in which we find ourselves, the better for us .
Jesus , God, they help those who help themselves. Rather than whining and moaning because we dont understand our environment, the void in which the Earth is suspended, the gaping maw of the cosmos, we go out and look for ourselves , we see whatever may be seen. We learn. We help ourselves.
Embracing Jesus, and embracing ignorance are not the same thing, and you had better never let me catch you linking them again. Its a mistake you should never make more than once.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Seriously? I don't even really know what to say to this, but I had to respond. Ignorance is bliss right? There are no facts as you claim. Why did you even click on this post if you aren't interested in knowing the "how" and "why" of things? You do not KNOW that a creator made everything, anymore than I KNOW that a creator did not create anything. This is amazing and intriguing news to some people, please don't bring religion into it and try to obscure things. Anyway, if a creator made the big bang/s happen, what is wrong with wanting to know how? Would you not just be in more awe of the creator, then? Come on people. I need another cup of coffee.

Thanks for posting this news, it's fascinating.

edit on 11/27/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Don't you think that if your omnipotent creator gave us all this intelligence to build these machines and figure out how the universe was created, he would take it as a slap in the face if we failed to use our brains to expand our understanding of our surroundings?

Here's a newsflash: the Earth is not going to be around forever, and while the Bible has a whole bunch of stuff about the Rapture, that's just a story. At some point, we're going to have to find a way to transport ourselves off this rock and onto another one, and experiments like this, which confirm our findings on the behavior of the universe, will help us reach that goal.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

You honestly believe that through our scientific technological knowledge and discoveries we
will be able to transport and reside in another part of our universe?
Good luck with that one, our best brains cant even tell us what happened on earth 13,000
years ago, you would think that knowing our own planets recent history would be pretty
important if contemplating a move .
If we did somehow locate a habitable planet and the means to get us there how would we
expect to learn its history when we cannot our own?
As far as the big bang goes do you know what the odds are of landing smack bang into the
correct distance from the sun for life to exist?
Do you honestly believe our existance, our world, our beautiful bodies and our wonderful
minds are just a matter of chance?
If the worlds greatest minds best explanation of our universes motion is a big explosion
well thats just not good enough, such order could not exist from an explosion!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

What's not good enough is accepting exictintion because you think that God exists so we might as well stop studying science.

That's bollocks. Look, you can keep worshipping over there--I'll heg my bets with the scientists who have studied the fascinating topic of space for thousands of years. And who are you to say in the long term that we can't develop FTL travel, and other tech? Consider the fact that 50 years ago, computers and the internet were only put into sci-fi movies, and now look at where we are today.

No, we're not going to figure it out in 10, 20 or even 50 years, probably. But over a span of thousands of years, which is the time-window we have here on this planet, we can. I can't stand, personally, when religion tries to step in the face of true scientific discovery--why can't you accept that there's a possibility that God created all this beauty in space for us to study, learn, and look at?

top topics

join