It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impossible Math Question?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Calender

There are different types of numbers: ordinal, cardinal, imaginary, transcendental, etc. Part of the problem with this thread is that the OP has never defined what they mean by "number."

He pretty much admits that he doesn't know. There are also "ET Corn Gods" numbers. See the websites listed in my Profile. You numbers freaks should like these word/numbers games.
edit on 28-11-2010 by etcorngods because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
in base 1/2 modular math?!?!?

everything + 1/2 would be itself

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

I learned that from SpongeBob Squarepants.

Rip a leg off a starfish and it will grow a new body. Not quite 1/2 = 1.......maybe 1/5 = 1

Also you can take 1 atom of water, H20, split it into two parts.....Hydrogen and Oxygen. Burn the Hydrogen and it combines with the oxygen and becomes Water Again. Only element I know of that becomes itself again.

Then again my science comes from SpongeBob....ha ha ha !!!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

cant give any details as to why this is important, but just know that if you can answer it something good is bound to come out of it.

Anytime I see someone post something like this I wish we had an ignore button for threads.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
There is no such number. Atleast not that makes any logical sense.

But then again maybe you didn't want an answer that makes sense.

Fluffy rainbows.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

edit on 28-11-2010 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The number is already "itself",.....adding 1/2 or any other number....or subtracting 1/2 or any other number would make that number more or less. If you already have a number.......you cannot make that number the same number by adding to it. that's like saying i have a dollar......if i add .50 to it can I still have just one dollar? Question doesn't make sense.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
in base 1/2 modular math?!?!?

everything + 1/2 would be itself

so $1.00 + .50 = $1.00? Modular math is stupid.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I GOT IT!

air+1/2 air= air
edit on 28-11-2010 by canadiansenior70 because: correction

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

It just means you are doing arithmetic with the remainders (moduli) of numbers. 11 (mod 5) = 1 because the remainder when 11 is divided by base five is one. Now if you add four 15 (mod 5) = 5 = 0 because 15 divided by 5 has a remainder of zero. Every time you get a multiple five on the right hand side you get a modulus of zero. It's basically the arithmetic of remainders.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
good+ 1/2 good = good
time + 1/2 time = time
antimatter + 1/2 antimatter = antimatter
my 3 cents lost

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a radioactive element that has a half life of 1 minute ... lets call it a whole number 1 ..

wait for a minute (it decays to 1/2 of what it was) .. then add 1/2 = what it was originally ... the whole # 1 ..

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
In QM, adding 1/2 spin to a particle does not modify its spin.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by demonseed

How about a black hole, wormhole or any singularity?

Any more brain busters?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
When you mix water and alcohol they mix so thoroughly that the volume drops. In other words 1 cup water plus 1 cup alcohol does not equal 2 cups of the mixture. Therefore, there is some amount of water where you could take half that amount in alcohol, add it into the water and have exactly the same volume of mixture as you had of the water. The added volume would have to exactly equal the loss in volume, but there is an amount that would work perfectly.

This is not a unique concept either. It has applications with other liquids and gasses.

You could also manipulate temperatures to get similar results. There would be a perfect temperature and volume where adding in half the volume at a different temperature would make the contraction from cooling equal the addition of the volume and the net result would be zero.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join