It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists, How can carry on with such a depressing thought

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'm not a Christian and I tend to side with Atheism more than anything else. I believe that the universe itself is good because it is eternal and forever changing (whether it's expanding forever via big bang or expanding and contracting forever via cyclical universe theory). My idea of a spirit, is the energy that everything is made of. Everything is made of star light, the entire universe.

Anyway, how does believing that there is nothing after death, affects your psyche? If there is nothing after death then this life means nothing because no matter how good or bad you are, you'll eventually die and be without conscious. Of course, I am not saying that all Atheists are evil because they have no morals, that's an argument from ignorance, rather, I'm saying that there is no motivation to do much since it will all be in vain. Why progress science and try to learn more things? Even if it did lead to immortality, then what? Fundamentally, there was nothing before or after death so living forever would just be like an escape of true nature which is exist and then never exist again. Even if we did find a way to theoretically live for all eternity wouldn't the universe eventually cease. I mean, if it's true that the universe is eternal and if it's true that the big bang happened, then wouldn't the universe have to eventually contract (killing even our immortal selves), and relive the big bang? Atheists what's the purpose of anything if there is fundamentally no meaning to anything?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I dunno.

I'm an agnostic, but use to be an atheist and the thought of nothing after death wasn't sad, it was encouraging.

It meant I only had this one life, and I better make the most of it. Do all the things I wanted to do, make sure it's fufilling to the max.

So, yes some may find it depressing, but when I was in that state of mind, it helped me get alot of things done.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Why is it depressing? I see death as the ultimate answer for everything. Makes me curious. If I die and there is nothing, bam, no more suffering, nada, i won't even notice it. If there is something after it, then wow, there is something after it! Oh!

To be honest, I spend my time pursuing knowledge. I want to learn as much as I can before I die.If I believe in God I wouldn't give a # because I'd know everything in the end anyway, in heaven. haha..

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I was born into a Catholic family and bought the idea of going to church for the first 5 to 7 years of my life. I later became an Atheist and was one for over 12 years. Ever since this year came about i found GOD and i didn't even have to open up any religious text's to convince me of his existence. Meditation is a very powerful practice.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Atheism is just the lack of a belief in a god. It has nothing to do with ones thoughts on the afterlife. Your argument about not having any motivation to do good is just silly. You don't get a good feeling when you do something nice for someone else?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I can be an atheist and still believe in a soul that never dies and is reborn in another form..
Religion was created by man to answer things that may be simply natural..

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
To me it is not depressing.

Just because I do not believe in God does not mean there is no afterlife. It could be black and there could be some sort of other dimension.

That is what kills me about religion is why believe one guys thoughts on the subject? He has the same brain as you, and knows as much as you do.

I have no idea what is out there. Is it God? No, not the way religion has made God.

Such a supreme ruler would not have so many issues, like jealousy and hate.

God is a religious word, there could be something else out there, but for sure it is not and God we have ever thought of. If there is something there our brains at this point could probably not even understand it.

I have no fear of death or life, because if I die and there is something afterwards, well good, and if it is black, well I'll have no idea.

Pred...

link   
welcome to existentialism 101.

anyway, it doesn't bother me that I didn't exist 100, 500 or 1000 years ago so I try not to let it bother me that I won't be around someday in the future either. But yes, I think life is meaningless (basically), and I'm basically a nihilist and I live my life that way

link   
reply to post by arpgme

why do you think you have to get old and die?

Is that because you want to?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
Why is it depressing? I see death as the ultimate answer for everything. Makes me curious. If I die and there is nothing, bam, no more suffering, nada, i won't even notice it. If there is something after it, then wow, there is something after it! Oh!

To be honest, I spend my time pursuing knowledge. I want to learn as much as I can before I die.If I believe in God I wouldn't give a # because I'd know everything in the end anyway, in heaven. haha..

If the is the ultimate answer, why do you fear it?

Second line.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Why progress science and try to learn more things?

why would you not want to learn as much as you can ?
edit on 27-11-2010 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgmeAtheists what's the purpose of anything if there is fundamentally no meaning to anything?

Meaning and purpose are where you find them. Personally, as an atheist, I find meaning in making life a little easier for the people around me however I can; my thinking is that since we've only got a few years of life, it seems to be a bit of a waste to spend them making other people's lives difficult. I find that they do the same for me. I don't see the point in doing things to harm other people, because I can't sleep at night knowing I've caused someone to lose a bit of this precious time vexing over something I've done.

In a nutshell:

The purpose of life is life. You've got one shot, regardless of anything you do. Get as much out of it as you can, but you only get what you give.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Lack of a belief in a god doesn't equal lack of belief in life after death.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think the thoughts of eternally suffering in a place called hell are more depressing and scary than nothing happening. That's probably why being an atheist ain't so bad yeah?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by theboarman

Because it'll be worth nothing when you are dead and have no consciousness and even if you say "it'll help humanity", well guess what? Eventually even we will have to die so in the long run it'll still be for nothing.

I understand that believing that there is no afterlife will probably get you to live life to the fullest since there is only one shot, but wouldn't that also demotivate you from doing things that you DON'T want to do but are important?

@LeTan, yeah but that's only if you came from a Christian background and then became an atheist. It's a lot more depressing when you have a belief that in the end all of the souls will be pure and they will all turn out righteous and good and live eternally in peace. When you have a belief like that and go to believing in no afterlife, it's a lot more depressing than believing in hell fire and then believing in no after life.
edit on 27-11-2010 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Honestly, it doesn't bother me.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer
Honestly, it doesn't bother me.

I'm not asking if it bothers you, I'm asking why motivate yourself things and learn things when your efforts will be nullified when you die and have no conscious and when humanity eventually dies.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I'm agnostic too.

I don't think anyone can know for sure what happens to our "self" after we die, that can only ever be a belief.

If there is a higher power or god, then to know would defeat the meaning and purpose of this life we have.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
I'm agnostic too.

I don't think anyone can know for sure what happens to our "self" after we die, that can only ever be a belief.

If there is a higher power or god, then to know would defeat the meaning and purpose of this life we have.

That's not true. According to many religions, the purpose is to do good/ please god and according to atheists, life is what you make it.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yes but it will always remain a belief.

To know, would require proof, not just to the select few but to all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join