It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Government has issued a "D-notice" for Wiki-Links

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

UK Government has issued a "D-notice" warning to all UK news editors, asking to be briefed on upcoming WikiLeaks stories.

twitter.com

UK Government has issued a "D-notice" warning to all UK news editors, asking to be briefed on upcoming WikiLeaks stories.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 26-11-2010 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Julian Assange will no doubt test the limits of free speech in a few days. A D-Notice is a warning to papers not to publish certain material due to national security.

Any other media source that engages the material could be subject to some bad flack.

With the recent clamp down on the Internet with the proposed COICA and associated laws, websites that contain information that would potentially harm peoples lives or political interests could be deemed "harmful" - moving the COICA process along at a faster pace.

ATS as well as other alternative news sources don't get D-Notices ( or their US equivalents.) I'm curious if this will cause any complications when the information is released. It's a warning worth considering. I would be interested in what others think about the issue.

twitter.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+20 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This only confirms the truth prior published and the truth of what is to come. They dont do this for crazy's.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
censorship often back fires
look at the old controversy with the bands like Deep Purple back in the day...
just helped popularize them.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Lets hope that the media ignore the government on this one.

They're not enforceable apparently and UK newspapers rarely do things for the good of the government if it can get extra sales out of it

wiki d notice
edit on 26-11-2010 by davespanners because: terrible spelling

+43 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
this is NOT about national security !!!
this is about criminal behavior
hiding behind national security
otherwise known as war crimes

edit on 11/26/2010 by boondock-saint because: clarifying

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This is getting hilarious. sad and scary.

Sadly enough the US is still my favorite world leader and I would prefer to keep it that way in opposite to Russia or China.

I hope that people understand that whatever is in these files that the above world powers probably have similar files about their Intel escapades.....

I also understand mister Assange in case that these rape allegations are false (as I suspect but that's up to a judge to decide) and he is so angry with these intel agencies that he just thinks "to hell with them...."

Getting angry myself about the current world state but as I am unable to understand their the decisions that governments make I do not want to manipulate their decisions. One of the problems that the common folks (me included) don't see what's going on behind the scenes.

Perhaps the "evil" we see is nothing compared to what other countries do. Hope people keep that in mind when finding out some gruesome details about their government.

Let's support each other. And prevent any unneeded escalations until we are certain of the facts.

+25 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Shame on you Mr. Cameron - the man who promised TRANSPARENCY. Now, where have I heard that before?

US Ambassador pays a visit to the PM and then a D notice is issued. What a coincidence. Well, I hope the newspapers will publish and be damned. Bankers steal billions of our money and only get a rap on the knuckles, so let's name and shame. Any newspaper which publishes will have tremendous public support, especially if the info exposes the crimes by the governments themselves.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Couldn't agree more.
This just heaps on more suspicion and a lot more publicity.

We should also be prepared to see more plans by TPTB to control and restrict the internet over the following months as a direct result of this. No matter how hard they try to limit and control national press, they can't yet control the internet. So if these leaks are as damaging/embarrassing/indicting as we think, they will come after the freedom of the net to prevent it in the future.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well well well, for this to be true somebody is bricking it in the corridors of power. Now we get to see how the freedom/censorship battle is gonna go. In the old days nobody outside of the papers or the govt would know the notice was in place. Fat chance of that these days.

Basically its a big message that says 'What this organisation is about to release is too much truth for the public- don't pass it on'.

I wasn't terribly interested before. I am now.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
Shame on you Mr. Cameron - the man who promised TRANSPARENCY. Now, where have I heard that before?

Uk you will find is one of the most secret places on earth in terms of secrets.

I doubt about the wiki thing, but we will see.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
Perhaps the "evil" we see is nothing compared to what other countries do. Hope people keep that in mind when finding out some gruesome details about their government.

That's no excuse to allow our own governments to act illegally, immorally or obscenely. And I think this is what we are about to bear witness to.

Iran hangs gay people and stones women.
China abuses its citizens and limits their freedoms.
NK attacks its neighbors and imprisons its people in poverty.

None of which allows our governments to abuse their positions or make illegal moves in any direction, morally, ethically, militarily or otherwise.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Couldn't agree more.

We should also be prepared to see more plans by TPTB to control and restrict the internet over the following months as a direct result of this. No matter how hard they try to limit and control national press, they can't yet control the internet. So if these leaks are as damaging/embarrassing/indicting as we think, they will come after the freedom of the net to prevent it in the future.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.....

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I do not think turning of the net is something that would be smart.

The net is important for control and i cannot see them doing something like that.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Morgil

good post
They don't have to go that far, the'll go the chinese route I bet
Shuting down the internet means commerce too, and they can't afford that in the US,
and the world will flip if the fragile financial world gets shut down on them too.

Though if the whole monetary system goes south and it doesn't matter
theyll just unleash stuxnet type stuff and fry everything

they will have their own proprietary systems like they did back at the beginning of the 80s
and the peeps will be off line
edit on 26-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morgil

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Couldn't agree more.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.....

Oh I know about that. But it hasn't been used. And using it would have to be justified.

Every government has the ability to restrict and control internet access, but there are no defined rules in place to assert when this can be done.

What I mean is that they cannot control the flow of information over the internet effectively. If the access is completely restricted, then of course they've achieved that, but this would be clear, obvious, and there would be harsher ramifications.
As the internet still exists for a nation, communication and the sharing of information and news is not yet controlled across all borders.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Interesting but unsubstantiated claim.

Did you know that D Notices are published?

DA-Notices System

Not seeing a reference to Wikileaks (or Wiki-Links either) on that site.

Where has the claim come from?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

America has a tactic of hiding stuff in plain sight, right in front of people.

The american public just do not have enough interest in subjects to worry the gov, lol.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Note:

It's not illegal to break a "D-notice" - just have to be very selective when dealing with national security.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Another case of his tory being tampered with. Its now a crime to investigate his tory.
1984 was a warning to the future, not a blue print for the govts of the world.
Truth is the enemy of govts.
Telling the TRUTH, can be viewed as an act of terrorism, against the state.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join