It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vanishing of the Bees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I really don't know if someone post it here already. Anyway is good info. Hope you like it.

www.vanishingbees.com...

Synopsis :

" Honeybees have been mysteriously disappearing across the planet, literally vanishing from their hives.

Known as Colony Collapse Disorder, this phenomenon has brought beekeepers to crisis in an industry responsible for producing apples, broccoli, watermelon, onions, cherries and a hundred other fruits and vegetables. Commercial honeybee operations pollinate crops that make up one out of every three bites of food on our tables.

Vanishing of the Bees follows commercial beekeepers David Hackenberg and Dave Mendes as they strive to keep their bees healthy and fulfill pollination contracts across the U.S. The film explores the struggles they face as the two friends plead their case on Capital Hill and travel across the Pacific Ocean in the quest to protect their honeybees.

Filming across the US, in Europe, Australia and Asia, this documentary examines the alarming disappearance of honeybees and the greater meaning it holds about the relationship between mankind and mother earth. As scientists puzzle over the cause, organic beekeepers indicate alternative reasons for this tragic loss. Conflicting options abound and after years of research, a definitive answer has not been found to this harrowing mystery."

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Fri Nov 26 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Something to do with the magnetics of the earth changing maybe? How do those little buggers navigate back to their hive?

edit on 26-11-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I agree with you. Sad thing it's happening to all smart animals on Earth first : Bees, Whales, .....you know what I mean.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The studies I've looked into seems to point to man being to blame by manipulating the bee species by replacing the local varieties with the high yielding varieties..

locally to me we are seeing a decline of these non hardy varieties but at the same time a resurgence in the British Black bee (European Dark bee) A variety that is not only very hardy, but also in terms of disease, more hygienic, and have acclimatised to the cold over 10,000 years.

But for mass bee keeping they don't produce the high yield.. tho they can consistently produce honey when the high yielding varieties are being fed sugar water to aid their survival.

The Victorians and then the Nazis have tried to eradicate this [as they saw it] inferior variety.. yet, the British Black and European Dark Honey bees are hanging on, and in fact may be the solution to the current problems of climate/disease..

I wrote a more detailed thread on the topic a little while ago linking to the work at Sussex University if your interested

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Tho anything that keeps this in the news and us discussing it is good
thanks for the thread

edit on 26/11/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

This has been going on for at least several years I believe. It's particularly alarming since bees pollinate a lot of flowers and plants. Scietists think it's a virus:

en.wikipedia.org...

Pollinator decline
From 1972 to 2006, there was a dramatic reduction in the number of feral honey bees in the US, which are now almost absent.[3] At the same time there was a significant though somewhat gradual decline in the number of colonies maintained by beekeepers. This decline includes the cumulative losses from all factors, such as urbanization, pesticide use, tracheal and Varroa mites, and commercial beekeepers' retiring and going out of business. However, in late 2006 and early 2007 the rate of attrition reached new proportions, and the term colony collapse disorder was coined to describe the sudden disappearances.[4] After several years of research and concern, a team of scientists headed by Jerry Bromenshenk published a paper in October 2010 saying that a new DNA-based virus, invertebrate iridescent virus or IIV6, and the fungus nosema ceranae were found in every killed colony the group studied. In their study they found that neither agent alone seemed deadly, but a combination of the virus and N. ceraneae was always 100% fatal. Bromenshenk said it is not yet clear whether one condition weakens the bees enough to be finished off by the second, or whether they somehow compound the other’s destructive power. "They're co-factors, that’s all we can say at the moment. They’re both present in all these collapsed colonies."[5][6][7] Investigations into the phenomenon had occurred amidst great concern over the nature and extent of the losses.[8] In 2009 some reports from the US suggested that 1/3rd of the honey bee colonies did not survive the winter,[9] though normal winter losses are known to be around 25%.[10]

Apart from colony collapse disorder, many of the losses outside the US have also been attributed to other causes. Pesticides used to treat seeds, such as Clothianidin and Imidacloprid, have been considered prime suspects.[11] Other species of bees such as mason bees are increasingly cultured and used to meet the agricultural pollination need.[12]

Native pollinators include bumblebees and solitary bees, which often survive in refuges in wild areas away from agricultural spraying, but may still be poisoned in massive spray programs for mosquitoes, gypsy moths, or other insect pests. Although pesticide use remains a concern, the major problem for wild pollinator populations is the loss of the flower-rich habitat on which they depend for food. Throughout the northern hemisphere, the last 70 or so years have seen an intensification of agricultural systems, which has decreased the abundance and diversity of wild flowers.

Legislation such as the UK's Bees Act 1980 is designed to stop the decline of bees.[13]

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Few years ago I personally witnessed odd deaths of bees, but as far as my area is considered, they're pretty much back to businness.

Explanations of strange deaths varies from disturbances caused by GSM relay stations and colony collapse disorder to somekind of bee plague...

-v

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

Yeah, I read about the "virus" time ago, but I'm not convinced 100%. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
The studies I've looked into seems to point to man being to blame by manipulating the bee species by replacing the local varieties with the high yielding varieties..

That is possible. Thanks for the good contribution. I'll be reading it.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I have a theory that might explain it all about your beezness... I've heard a few rumors in the past from people that install satilite tv... DISH or whatever and from what i have gathered from these people the signals seem to attract the bees and then kill them. on numerous accounts dish installers would say things like set up dish went inside and set up programing and went back out side to double check due to some error and walla... BEES. Not sure if this is the true reason or what... But there is some real investigating that should take place to see if there is a connection.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

The quicker we get a real answer the sooner I hope to not have to pollinate my apricot trees each year with a brush as I am rubbish at it
thus having no apricots this year

Given the whole situation, and the existing differences between the Dark/Black bees and the other varieties I can not help but wonder if there are not other differences we have not being told of., perhaps the Black/Darks are less susceptible to magnetic fields, radio waves or any of the other issues that have been put forward as the cause of the Bee decline??

But to be honest in that area I am quite clueless
and can only speculate..

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
aha the old Einsteinian quote about the bees ?

Albert Einstein once said: “If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live. No more bees, no more pollination … no more men!” He wasn’t an entomologist, but entomologists around today agree that the sudden and mysterious disappearance of bees from their hives poses serious problems!

I think this has been done before and an possible answer was that other country's import Australian honey bees as they are the toughest and most resilient i believe off the top of my head?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

The quicker we get a real answer the sooner I hope to not have to pollinate my apricot trees each year with a brush as I am rubbish at it
thus having no apricots this year

Given the whole situation, and the existing differences between the Dark/Black bees and the other varieties I can not help but wonder if there are not other differences we have not being told of., perhaps the Black/Darks are less susceptible to magnetic fields, radio waves or any of the other issues that have been put forward as the cause of the Bee decline??

But to be honest in that area I am quite clueless
and can only speculate..

Maybe it's a little "off topic", but since you mention your apricot trees :

A Cure in Apricot Seeds (Vitamin B17).

The richest source of this super vitamin is found in apricot kernels. Other fruits like cherries, grapes, apples, and peaches contain amounts of the vitamin, but raw apricot seeds are the most concentrated – and therefore most effective – source of B17 known to man. The individual responsible for the discovery of B17, Dr. Krebs, claimed that regularly consuming apricot seeds could even prevent one from ever developing cancer to begin with. He was so confident of the power in vitamin B17 that he claimed these findings to be 100% true.

fasting.ws...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Nice to know, thanks
all I have to do is manage the learn how to pollinate the ones I have.. either that or somehow find a fix to the bee problem

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Trueman

Nice to know, thanks
all I have to do is manage the learn how to pollinate the ones I have.. either that or somehow find a fix to the bee problem

Hey, don't forget the S510 law coming now. You won't have the right to grow your own food anymore....So I guess someone can start to develope a conspiracy theory link between the 2 stories as part of the same NWO plan?...just a thought.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Trueman

Nice to know, thanks

Hey, don't forget the S510 law coming now. You won't have the right to grow your own food anymore....So I guess someone can start to develope a conspiracy theory link between the 2 stories as part of the same NWO plan?...just a thought.

I am sure there must a link.. perhaps so the general public don't see the issue?? It seems to me Gov's like to obscure these things behind inane laws! *shakes head*

or perhaps they are trying to put the honey bee out of a job??

I love the look of Fruit and veg Blossom/Flowers, and so do the bees in my Garden (I've a small wild Black Colony in my Garden at the moment
)

Tho my Grandfather is Cherokee, I am not American, but I could not accept being told what to do with my own garden, let alone be told I can't have my Kitchen Garden! as silly as it sounds, that would be one of the issues that would certainly drive me to butt heads with my Gov.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I posted this on the last thread about bees, but I think it should be posted again as it's very informative and a bit scary

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
While it is vital to focus on trying to save the honeybee, it's imparative to equally focus on understanding our native bees around us. (don't place all of your hopes on just one solution)

...and with that statement, don't just read this post and agree, but rather accept the "call to action" and actively look to encourage native bees in your yard.

An easy one to start with is the red mason bee in Europe, or the Blue Orchard Bee in the US. The Japanese Orchard Bee is also viable in the US as well.

Provide pollination, DON'T spray pesticides/insecticides in your yard, and look to provide holes for the mason bees and hedge rows for the ground dwellers.

For US information, look to our website on what to do: www.crownbees.com...

new topics

top topics

join