It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Artillery fire' heard near South Korea island

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

'Artillery fire' heard near South Korea island

www.telegraph.co.uk

Artillery fire has been heard off the South Korea's Yeonpyeong island - the scene of shelling by North Korea earlier this week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I really don't think this is going to go away this time. The US and SK are preparing for drills in the area and I bet a US ship gets hit. If that happens, I think either NK or Iran is going to show off a nuke by using one.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

Ugh...

NOT GOOD

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the post. The local news here in LA is only reporting on "Midnight Madness" sales!
The next few weeks will be interesting to watch with the war games in the Yellow Sea.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

Both sides refuse to back off, and they've been at eachother's throats for 60 years. It's only a matter of time before it escalates to full scale war. :/

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm getting really annoyed that this isn't being covered on any news channel that I can find.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symp EL
I'm getting really annoyed that this isn't being covered on any news channel that I can find.

It the same here. All that the MSM is talking about here is the weather, how much it's snowing. It's like, SNOW... in SWEDEN! Who would've thought

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
cant nk just accidentally nuke themselves

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
NK isn't going to nuke anyone, the leadership is daft yes, but not THAT daft. China isn't going to start ww3 over a little pile of crap like NK. It's all bluffing and posturing. My bet is, if NK goes haywire, China will take care of the business rather than abiding a US/SK invasion. They would much rather kick NK butt themselves than have US soldiers on the war path in their backyard and there is no way in hell they will get involved in a major war to stick up for the most pathetic regime in Asia.

NK is like a 3 year old. Just screaming to get attention so they can demand something. They want money, food, industrial equipment and legitimacy. None of which they can make for themselves.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

You never know.

Watch for some leaks about industrial accidents and the like, I'd bet my bottom dollar the green hats are already snooping around.
edit on 26-11-2010 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx
NK isn't going to nuke anyone, the leadership is daft yes, but not THAT daft. China isn't going to start ww3 over a little pile of crap like NK. It's all bluffing and posturing. My bet is, if NK goes haywire, China will take care of the business rather than abiding a US/SK invasion. They would much rather kick NK butt themselves than have US soldiers on the war path in their backyard and there is no way in hell they will get involved in a major war to stick up for the most pathetic regime in Asia.

NK is like a 3 year old. Just screaming to get attention so they can demand something. They want money, food, industrial equipment and legitimacy. None of which they can make for themselves.

I agree with most of what you posted, but I am nervous about some weirdo twenty something with his finger on the button.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
North Korea is also warning on scheduled U.S. and S. Korea drills this weekend involving the U.S.S. George Washington Super Carrier, that we are on the brink of war and blames us for provocation in relation to the planned military exercises.
If these last couple of shots aren`t the last from N.Korea, I do think we will see them hit back in some way.
To speculate, an attack on the U.S. fleet would mean large war.
An attack however on a S.Korean vessel would most likely spawn a bombardment from the U.S. vessels in the area which may end everything, or possibly lead to a wider assault based upon N.Korea`s further actions and or any U.S. casulaties and loss of fleet involved in any battle.
It`s getting really hot over there.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

The problem is that the whole region is so infected by this conflict because of how long it's been going on. I mean, people born after the split have been raised to view the other side as the enemy. Even if Kim Jong il and his family were out of the picture and Korea united again, people would still be split. The longer a conflict goes on, the harder it is to solve it.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I would like to think NK is in a no win situation. If NK fires on the US or SK, there are a number of scenarios;

China kicks NK's ass back to 1899 for attacking US or SK, China does not want to lose a major trading partner in the US which actually consumes a huge amout of product from the Chinese manufacturing base.

or

The US kicks NK's ass back to 1899 for attacking US or SK, the US would be justified and again China does not want to lose a major trading partner in the US which actually consumes a huge amout of product from the Chinese manufacturing base, so it's unlikely China would do anything.

or

NK threatens and everyone laughs.

Seems to me it's a win win situation for the US and China. China gets to take over NK or SK gets to take over NK. Ole Kim get's to crap in his diapers....

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I think either NK or Iran is going to show off a nuke by using one.

Followed by their elimination from the face of the universe?

Their leaders are mental - not suicidal.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I heard on the Radio here in Sydney Australia that South Korea fired again into to North Korea today
Anyone else hear about that??

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I think sht will hit the fan this time for real.....other than that nejoy your long weekend holiday, folks.
secondline

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by wycky
I heard on the Radio here in Sydney Australia that South Korea fired again into to North Korea today
Anyone else hear about that??

I don't think so. The North conducted drills this afternoon and fires artillery shells into it's own waters. Perhaps this is what it was?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
On the internet, they would be called a troll.
They are trolling. Trying to elicit a response.
The best reaction is to not react at all. Other than keeping an eye on them.
I think what they really want is more hush money.
China is probably saying to themselves "not right before black Friday, we've got product to sell".

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The situation on the Korean peninsula continues to spiral out of control, and cold go hot at any time. A carrier battle group is set to participate in the war games that is going to be held by the US and South Korea in the Yellow Sea. The Yellow Sea is dangerously close to China, and I believe the Chinese have said they would not look highly upon the US and one of their aircraft carriers operating in its waters.

China: Concerned About US Plans For Military Exercises In Yellow Sea‏

“We firmly oppose any foreign warships or airplanes to conduct activities undermining China’s security in the Yellow Sea and China’s coastal waters,” another Chinese foreign-ministry spokesman said at the time.

We must remember how the Chinese reacted during the Korean War when UN Forces got to the Yalu river and where looking into Chinese Manchuria. In an extreme show of force, the Chinese stormed across the border and pushed the UN force back to their original position, a revered General lost his job over it, and the war was fought to bitter and bloody stalemate with armistice agreement of 1953. I don't think China will respond militarily over this crisis in Korea, but who knows where it will go in the event it goes hot? We know China is not going to give up its buffer in North Korea over anything. It is clear that they are just standing by over this, and are only offering up the usual run-of-the-mill diplomatic pleasantries over the affair.

With all the military hardware scheduled to be near China and North Korea, it could provoke a knee-jerk reaction. If someone responds, we have a situation that could result in total war. Korea has about 1.1 million military personnel, artillery pieces aimed at Seoul which could kill millions, and now a nuclear option on the table. This is not like what the US has gone up against in recent memory. It will be a bloodbath.

Hopefully, they can work out something, and release some of the tension diplomatically. However, I think time is running out for that, and if China does not engage its Korean neighbor with tough talk about their provocative actions, then they may very well have a war on their doorstep in the future? What is happening right now on the peninsula is very serious, and I am watching it closely. Major wars have begun over a perceived slight, misunderstanding, military accident, and other departures from normalcy. Lets hope this matter gets resolved quickly.
edit on 26-11-2010 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join