It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NorCal Man Indicted For Making Threats Against The President

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

NorCal Man Indicted For Making Threats Against The President

sacramento.cbslocal.com

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A federal grand jury has indicted a Eureka man who allegedly sent a letter threatening to kill President Barack Obama.
According to court documents, 54-year-old Roger Hudnall wrote, “I will kill the president,” in a letter mailed on Jan. 7, 2009.
It’s not clear from court documents whether Hudnall has an attorney. Wednesday’s indictment says he’s currently in state custody on another conviction.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Hudnall previously served federal prison time for mailing a threatening letter containing white powder to the FBI’s San Fr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I wonder have many years this person would get for the letter? Do any of you believe he will get more time for the letter he used to scare his landlord? From the looks of it the person in custody has a problem with angry letters. Heck. People need to vent their angry out some how. I would like to see what my fellow members think of this arrest. Anything important or a forgettable nut job arrested?

sacramento.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Did it really take them that long to find him and arrest him? Well played all powerful government.. well played

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Who knows...maybe the guy just mailed it recently. I believe the Secret Service takes any threat seriously. I'd be surprised if someone saying that same thing online wasn't paid a nice visit by a car full of sun glass wearing fed goons.
I guess freedom of speech does have some limits...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

It looks like it's actually up to 5 years in prison.

usgovinfo.about.com...

What Constitutes a "Threat?"

According to this law -- 18 USC Sec. 871 -- which reads, in part:

"...Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

That covers a lot of deeds and statements. It gives the Secret Service a lot of latitude when conducting an investigation. There is a very good reason for this. Few jobs are more dangerous than President of the United States.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by peter_kandra
Few jobs are more dangerous than President of the United States.

As long as you obey your corporate overlords, it is the safest job.

"Congress shall make no law [...] abridging the freedom of speech"

Pretty clear to me. It doesn't say "except if it's a threat to the president's life". Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak without limitation. There's no room for misconception or confusion. "Without limitation" says it all.

top topics

join