It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warmer polar temps lead to colder, nastier winters.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Because many of you are experiencing the opposite of warming so thinking that warming is hoax, whatever. I've decided to dig up this article I read recently. I have also recently traveled to temperate regions and experienced winter and tropical summers in the tropics. I also experienced record breaking low temps in Atlanta, and Hong Kong. But those are only freakish events, the elevated temps in the tropics is intensely persistent. Average Lifespans of people in the tropics are actually getting shorter due to rising temps.

www.cbsnews.com...

"Normally the cold air is bottled up in the Arctic," said Jim Overland of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory in Seattle. But last December and February, winds that normally blow west to east across the Arctic were instead bringing the colder air south to the Mid-Atlantic, he said.

"As we lose more sea ice it's a paradox that warming in the atmosphere can create more of these winter storms," Overland said at a news briefing.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Yup. You know the moment the first big cold snap hits this place is going to be spilling with "wha happened to global warming...ooops...ooops...I mean climate change lololol" comments.

Thanks for the link.

A couple more:

More Cold and Snowy Winters to Come in Europe, Eastern Asia and Eastern North America
Arctic roots of 'upside-down' weather

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

These periodic extreme cold blasts seem to be an attempt by the earth to compensate for the gradual warming trend. It's like getting a new case of soda from the store which is at room temperature. You need to have the drinks cold now because you are late for a party. Instead of letting them naturally get cooled in the refrigerator over a couple of hours you resort to a quick cooling in the freezer. The freezer does a good job in a short period of time. The cool arctic air is used as the source of the quick freeze to cool the southern regions. It's like opening the freezer door. The cold air is lost when the door is opened and the temperature rises in the freezer. The compressor has to kick on to begin cooling the freezer back to the specified cool temperature. The freezer door is being opened too many times and the freezer is starting to get warmer.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

Thanks for the link as well! It's a 'sad' thing, not everyone is getting this cooling effect. While it's getting cooler in some, it still keeps getting uncomfortably warmer along the equator, where the majority of the world's population lives. Unfortunately, a significant fraction of this population is also below the poverty line

In the worst case scenario some time in the future, we'd be seeing this group simply get wiped off the face of the
Earth due to heat related illness and deaths because they can't afford A/C or migrating to cooler countries. Most likely, everyone in the region will suffer as well including the wealthy who did not migrate due to economic, infrastructure collapse caused by widespread deaths, or pandemics caused by increasing temps.

@lostinspace.

I thought similar as well. Well, I thought that any hurricane is nature's attempt to cool the climate a bit. Because the fact that it does bring significant amount of cooling in any hot place.
edit on 27-11-2010 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Just thought I'd post this graphic because it's very appropriate to this thread. These are the current weather conditions (Dec. 4, 2010 4pm EST) here in Canada:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5d86c6dba54.jpg[/atsimg]

Notice the temperatures in the Arctic compared to the rest of the country.

Whitehorse is 10 C above normal
Iqaluit is 15 C above normal (It got up to 0 earlier and the Sun has already set there)
Yellowknife is right at normal, but tomorrow it's supposed to be 10 degrees above.

Weather Office Canada

While everybody's been talking about how cold it is in Europe I've been quietly watching these temperatures all week - particularly in Iqaluit which is closest to the European arctic. Both the highs and lows in Iqaluit were hovering around 0 C all week - that's up to 25 C above normal!!

The facts completely back up what was basically predicted in this thread, but of course I'm sure most people won't give enough of a crap about a place like Iqaluit to pay attention to the whole story.

25 degrees above normal is absolutely insane.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

This is pure bull.

2nd line, they just do anything to protect there idea of man made global warming which is rubbish.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

lol can you ever try reading an entire thread before sticking your foot in your mouth? This one was only 4 posts long for pete's sake...

top topics

join