It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Religious Displays

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I can understand not wanting to have schools teach children religions, but what's wrong with public display of religion? I think of it as a free speech issue

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by dizziedame
OP if the sight of a Christmas decoration offends you then do not look at it.

Oh go choke a turkey.

I truly hate this approach to any argument/discussion/debate/disagreement/etc.

Dont you know though? Only christians should be allowed to look at everything and take offense to anything. The rest of us should 'just not look'.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
I can understand not wanting to have schools teach children religions, but what's wrong with public display of religion? I think of it as a free speech issue

So long as its public display of all religions, there is no issue.

The issue is when one is propped up above the others.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Why not allow whichever religion wants to pop up?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Thats fine, its your opinion. This is why I am not offended when I see stuff like this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Eh I am a christian, go figure LOL

edit on 11/25/2010 by The Endtime Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

OP if the sight of a Christmas decoration offends you then do not look at it.

I see religious displays in stores owned by people from India. It does not offend me.

Tolerance of others religious displays is a desired trait.

It's not about being offended. Like I have stated, it's about holding government to a standard of secular equality. No one said I was hell bent on upholding the law, this is just an issue that I feel I can make an impact on.

If you are hell bent to uphold the laws of your state then may I suggest you consider these laws of West Virgina and start having people fined or arrested.

The folling laws are in effect in your state:
1. For each act of public swearing a person shall be fined one dollar.
2. It is illegal to sleep while on a train.
3. A man can have sex with an animal under 40 pounds.
4. Firemen may not whistle or flirt at any woman passing a fire house.

On September 21, 2010 a law was finally taken off the books that outlawed adultry and sex between unmarried individuals.

You also might check on the law that states sexual intercourse between a married couple must be done missionary style or there could be fines or jail time.

So... are you trying to attack me because of the state I live in? In any case, I'm not a law enforcement officer.

Does Christianity frighten you?

No, but the people do.

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
Think of it as art. Is art offensive? I think not.

But it's not simply art. We all know that.

Originally posted by Jenna
Also you should keep in mind that not all public parks are government owned. Some are owned by non-profits, for example, and they can put whatever they want in their park.

That's a good point. I'll have to find out for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's government owned.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
You should only complain if it bothers you ..

This is the reasoning that has gotten American deeper and deeper into the tyrannical mess it's getting in.

Religious displays don't belong on public ground period.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
Like I have stated, it's about holding government to a standard of secular equality.

If this were a holiday decoration placed in a courtroom or on a courthouse lawn with no other holiday displays allowed aside from the nativity scene, I'd agree with you. It's in a public park, you haven't checked to see if it's even government owned property, you haven't even checked to see if other displays can be placed there, you went immediately into "this is offensive and must be removed because the government is forcing me into Christianity with a holiday display" mode. It honestly makes about as much sense to me as the group of Christians who complain every Halloween that it's a holiday devoted to devil-worship. (For those wondering, that would be no sense at all.) You can call it whatever you like, but you sound like you were just looking for something offensive during the holiday season that you could complain about.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Isn't it ironic that people will get so worked up about something that in their mind is really a fairy tale...and do everything they can to remove it, but put no effort at all into protesting the TSA pat downs, or the 9th circuit court ruling that police can put tracking devices on your proprty if the gate is open, or have SWAT teams invade an Amish Milk Farm...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
But it's not simply art. We all know that.

Who's "we"? Not only that but if its all a "fairy tale" anyway, then essentially isn't that what it is (art)? I think it would do you much good to channel that indifference elsewhere.
edit on 11/25/2010 by The Endtime Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Isn't it ironic that people will get so worked up about something that in their mind is really a fairy tale...and do everything they can to remove it, but put no effort at all into protesting the TSA pat downs, or the 9th circuit court ruling that police can put tracking devices on your property if the gate is open, or have SWAT teams invade an Amish Milk Farm...

Seriously. What does one have to so with the other?

But - - lets talk about if a Wiccan or even Atheist display was put up in a public park.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

But - - lets talk about if a Wiccan or even Atheist display was put up in a public park.

Wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact I don't know much about Wiccans and probably would think it was "art"

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

In this day and age, it is a shame most of the traditions and things that have gone on for generations are now under attack from all sides. One group or individual, for what ever reason, takes offense to something it sees and hears, yet makes no qualms about ignoring what many people hold in favorable view, thus irritating the entire majority. This hits every aspect of life and affects 100% of the population. The question of religion in a public setting has come under fire more and more these days, where it bypasses that of common sense, and demands are often either determined reasonable or just plain foolish. Now before I take the time to answer, there are a few questions that you should ask yourself, as it would ultimately lead to an answer becomes clear. Many of the things that are being sued over, have been in effect for years, displays and monuments that were there long before many people alive today were born, that were once seemed to be sacred or respected are now under attack. Ideas that the founders of towns and schools, the very core of the legacy, were based off of, are now being forced to be removed, from the constant threat of one law suite after another, and it never ends. As soon as something it removed or the conditions satisfied, those individuals often move onto another and another, until they are happy, but the majority of the people who happen to like it are often left unhappy. And often the entire story is never revealed until after the damage is done. The main point of view, should not be to remove these traditions, or symbols that have been there for years and years, going back some 40 years or more, as they are a part of our history and that which defines our society.
Do you have right to sue to have such removed, yes, but should you is more the important question. If it is a tradition that has gone back for generations, then I would say no, you should not do anything. Every time a victory is won that removes a symbol or a tradition, the history and culture of the society and area suffers for it, or it disrespects a group who gave so much so that so many, such as yourself may benefit. The best example of this was the Mt. Soledad Cross, in San Diego California. There was a cross, that one group found offensive as it was a cross, on public land. The first reactions was to remove the cross, as it should not be on the governments dime, this is true. But about a year after the court cases that came out about such, then the reality of what it represented hit home, and public opinion turned against those who brought up the court case, to the point of hostility. The cross was not just a religious symbol, but it was a memorial, as chosen by those who had returned, by those who fought during World War I. It was very apparent that it was neither correct or right to remove the cross, as it was a symbol chosen by the veterans of World War I. And to remove it would have been a disrespect to those who fought and died in that war. The question must be asked, where does it end, do we now choose to say that as cemeteries can no longer display the symbols of faith, like say Arlington National Cemetery, where those who fought and died as was their duty, are we to remove those symbols of their faith?
The answer to your question should be based on common sense, if it is a privately funded then chances are the answer is no. If it is something that has been there for years, and generations, then perhaps the answer should also be no. In society today, we are losing our past, our heritage and many things that our founders wanted to leave for their children and descendents. Ultimately the question is this so wrong to display a symbol or an ideal that may affect a person to where they are a bit nicer and charitable in their own lives? It is something also to consider. And are you prepared, if the majority of the population in that area is against you, to become hated and reviled, all cause you are not happy with seeing something like this? Or can you let the spirit of the season grow and just forgive and forget for a brief moment something that is making others happy?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior

Wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact I don't know much about Wiccans and probably would think it was "art"

Oh you would most definitely recognize Wiccan displays! Like a decorated tree, a decorated wreath or missletoe hung for the festival of Yule, or maybe some colored eggs and rabbits for the Festival of Ostara! You didn't really think that Christians were bright enough to come up with their OWN holiday traditions, did you??? Why, when they can just steal those of the already established Pagan religions of Europe and make them their own!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Does anyone else find it hilarious that often the same people defending government funded religious displays are the ones who say they should not be "subjected to looking at" a Gay Pride event?

How's that log in your eye treating you...?
edit on 25-11-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I say that if people are offended by religious displays at all they should grow thicker skins and quit being so damn whiny.......

Seriously what has this country become but a bunch of little complacent, thin skinned whiny babies with nothing better to do , then get offended off of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they can?

Unless I see a display that is flat out disgraceful or racist, im probably not going to be offended.....

GROW A PAIR AMERICA!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Why not allow whichever religion wants to pop up?

That's exactly what I mean. Like I said earlier, the issue is when one religion is allowed a right that another is not.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I'm not offended in the least.

Rather, I'm content about separation of Church and State.

Which is why it bothers me how often the government clearly favours Christianity above all other faiths.

Whereas if they were Islamic decorations on a courthouse... all the "Christians" would be complaining about Islamization and how Islam is taking over the government. Yet, when "Christians" do the same thing with their own religion.... that's fine, because their faith is the proper one.

Religious displays are beautiful.

...On your own private property.

If you think that the government should be endorsing a specific religion then feel free to move to Siam, Saudi Arabia, Israel, or Vatican City.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

1. America was founded under people who believed in God, of many different faiths..

2. How do they show any favor towards Christianity? Because they DONT have any Muslim symbols up anywhere near courthouses on Christmas? Weird..........I wonder why...

3. Of course they dont want Muslim laws in the United States, Sharia law is an oppressive and unjust system, unless you favor the raping of women and stoning to death of people.....

So i dont see how that comparison to our government favoring "christianity" and the alternative is anything even close .

I think people are delusional about religion and spend too much of their time getting offended, I also think this favoritism to christianity that people complain about is a bunk, because really they have nothing else to compare it to, other than the systems over seas.

That being said, i dont favor any one religion, im a spiritualist, and I think people too much time and effort in being angry over the whole religious issue............THEY are the problems, not the religions, except the ones who are oppressive.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Did you consider that the reason some atheists are offended by christmas symbols is because they are a reminder of the eradication of their people and the theft and subsequent desecration of some of their most sacred traditions?

Just sayin.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join