It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Help save the life of a turkey this year!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
My family of 5 has 5 turkeys thawing at the moment, we like turkey.

And again, no matter how many vegans run around preaching, the companies that raise these birds do not release the extra ones into the wild, they kill them and dispose of them.

Vegans do NOT save animal lives, commercial livestock NEVER gets set free.

Also, as someone above me brought up, why do vegan "meats" attempt to taste like real meat, if vegans look down on eating meat?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Well to be fair...your veggies aren't treated very nice either. The have lots of chemicals put on them during growth. And lets not even talk about the gruesom harvest process. These veggies have feeling to. Have you seen the process of making tofu and what they do to the soy to make it? Pretty cruel to the soy bean if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by joeshsamp

The big drawback is they are expensive, and if a mistake happens, it isnt easily or cheaply replaced like a normal turkey would be. If you find someone who can do it right, you will never want just another lame turkey ever again.

Figure anywhere from $60- $90 for a decent sized turducken.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

That's a nice suggestion for those who have similar concerns to mine, yet still eat meat. My only suggestions in that area is that if you want to do a small part to not support the corrupt part of the meat industry, yes, at least by a turkey that you know was treated humanely and not pumped full of unnecessary things. I'm a reasonable person, not trying to wield PETA in front of any of you. In my personal opinion, PETA doesn't help the situation much, because they sensationalize a lot of things to a ridiculous point. They should choose their battles better and they might get more accomplished. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Again, why not do your part to help manage the ecosystem by harvesting a wild turkey?

None of the drawbacks you mentioned, plus they are really damn tasty.

Why rely on others to do the dirty work for you?

Tasty food takes on a whole new look when you harvest it yourself.
edit on 24-11-2010 by BigTimeCheater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I appreciate your suggestion about veggie turkey, however I can't help but love thanksgiving turkey. CAN"T WAIT!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

In commending you on your efforts, i can assure you that I have bought:

The largest, grass fed free range turkey I could find because it tastes way better, even if it does cost twice as much. I will enjoy this turkey

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by joeshsamp

Oh come on. Don't think I haven't heard it all before. I have a huge garden in which I grow my own veggies for my family, save my own seeds, all without sprays or anything of the sort. I love growing my own food, and feel more people should do the same. The amount of chemicals put into our food is not a joking matter. As for the stores, frankly, the amount of people who have touched supermarket produce freaks me out. But that's a totally different issue.
edit on 11/24/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I've always wanted to try this.. How do you do it?

Do you go out and hunt them.. or do they have farms where you can kill your own turkey?

Probably a really dumb question, but I've never been hunting before.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Stars for you my friend!

One of my friends caught a wild turkey with his bare hands for Thanksgiving, it came out of the smoker a lil while ago and let me assure you, it is soooooooooo damn tasty.

Humans are predators...anyone here ever heard of a vegan bear or shark?

Remember people, it is called the food chain, and we're winning!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Well, if I enjoyed eating meat for just the sheer fact of its taste, then I probably would do as you say. But my reasoning isn't the ecosystem and industry alone. I just don't want to harm any animals needlessly. I can't help that part of me, it is just who I am. I don't claim to be better than anyone else for it, nor do I drive a Suburu (or any car for that matter), or own a MAC, or act elite. I'm also not saying these stereotypes aren't right on target with some people either. But I'm not one of them, I consider myself reasonable about the situation in comparison to most other vegetarians I've met in my life. I'm just one of those overly emotional people towards animals I suppose, and can't eat anything that once had a face, to put it most simply. I would be thinking about the life of the animal while eating it dead. Just a thought, but I also have a few rescued pets, and even though they aren't as consciously intelligent as we may be as humans, they still clearly have feelings. That's one reason I'd have a hard time eating meat regardless of it's impact on the ecosystem, climate, or the meat industry itself. I could never imagine a person eating their cat or dog, or any cats or dogs, I assume you'd all agree with me here? Well the easiest way I can put it is that I see all animals in the same way that I see cats and dogs. Is that so bad?

Again though, I feel more strongly for the push of respect of all living creatures than I do for advocating "not eating meat" in general.
edit on 11/24/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
SAVE A PLANT.....EAT A TURKEY.

Really...what else are they good for???

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

I dont like harming animals either, thats why the killing must be done quickly and efficiently.

Hunting seasons exist to help preserve and protect the given ecosystem from overpopulation.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63347248c468.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

I've always wanted to try this.. How do you do it?

Do you go out and hunt them.. or do they have farms where you can kill your own turkey?

Probably a really dumb question, but I've never been hunting before.

I wasnt a hunter either until I moved to Wisconsin. Not too long after I got here, I realized all the food I was passing while driving (flocks of turkeys) would probably be much healthier and different tasting than the factory farm raised crap.

Most states have 2 separate seasons for turkey, gun and archery. A quick trip to your states DNR website should have all of the relevant info you need.

Biggest pain in the ass is de-feathering the bird, but after that, its actually pretty simple.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I agree with you there. If you are going to eat meat at least find a more hands on way of doing it. People don't realize what goes on with their store bought meat. Even the terms organic and free-range and their regulations by the FDA are grossly screwed up. Now a person wishing to sensationalize this situation would be on you for hunting, I for one won't be. I think a person going out and killing their own food quickly and efficiently is far better than, as you said, having someone else do your dirty work for you.

What goes on in those mass production farms and factories is absolutely atrocious, and even that is an understatement. This is where I get sensational, because I personally think anyone involved in that kind of behavior and conduct must, by logic, be a sociopath or have some sociopathic tendencies.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
well placed advertising trader joe.. but the turkey was going to perish regardless, so I think I'll have some carnivorous turkey...

besides, all the trader joes I know of have drug addicts working there...

but happy thanksgiving

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Okay... how bout we settle the argument this way...

Save a Turkey, shot a Pilgrim!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Trader Joes/Whole Foods employees come from the same toilet as Starbucks employees . Toss in some "artists" and "poets" and flush them all.
edit on 24-11-2010 by BigTimeCheater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
To add to my sensational claim,

How many non-sociopaths would want to spend their free time or work time doing things such as:

bashing heads in with various objects, poking eyes out, shoving things where they shouldn't be shoved, twisting limbs, beating them when they are down, shoving too many into cages, letting them stay alive while they are infected, injured and bleeding, letting them spread infections to other cagemates, letting them live in their own excrements, twisting off beaks and wings, poking with sharp objects, setting them on fire and letting them run around, forcing animals to walk with broken limbs, milking from cows with infected nipples, animals living their whole life without even being able to move in their cage, even rotate or open their wings, they just sit in one place while suffering and decaying slowly until they are slaughtered to be eaten, etc, etc.

I've seen all of these things and more, and that is why no one, vegetarian or not, should support such behavior. Am I wrong? Would any of you want to eat anything that has gone through all of that? There are better ways! Hunt, buy from a someone you know personally with a decent farm, just don't support this kind of conduct. It's disgusting and makes us seem hardly more advanced than cavemen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join