It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Koreas on 'brink of war' because of Seoul, Pyongyang says'.brand new cnn article

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

So instead millions who wouldn't have died will? Yeah, that'll work... ...not.

Thermonuclear war as an alternative to a conventional war? Trading bad for worse is counter productive, I would think...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
NK is like a demented brother living permanently locked in his room at the end of the hallway. One morning he opens the door, his snout steaming, and throws objects on the hallway or even tears the living room sofa. Maybe one day he'll get out at night and will chop my head off. Even my neighbours are worried but does this mean my house has to be blown-out...? Oh God, I think, maybe we can just take my brother out to a mental institution... but how. He has big weapons but has not developed the NUKE yet, although he's in course. Damn! what can I do with this demented brother? I am a sane person.

So. There wont be war. Not soon. If Im wrong, we're doomed because that sounds like WWIII to me.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
You can use missiles to take them out doesn't have to be a footwar

Missiles make it an AIR battle..

Also wouldn't care as long as it is not americans or their allies that die because of north koreas billigerentcy

Told you better be glad i'm not the president.

Simple missiles would work niiiiiiice biiiiiiiiig missiles placed would stop all the crap right in peyongyang... Don't forget MOD north korea will use nukes if it is attacked they will NUKE SEOUL.. If you don't think crazy ill wouldn't use a nuke on south korea then your missing out of the real world..
edit on 24-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

The name calling of someone as Puppets is based on the perception if the subject has the free will or not.

South Korea does not have the free will to start a war with North Korea nor to sign a peace treaty with them. So, it is correct South Korea is a puppet regime of the US.

People have been calling Obama and Bush as being puppets also. The question is puppet of whom?

Is North Korea a puppet regime of some other country? No. I don't think China or Russia is controlling North Korea. NK is pretty much on their own although they will be protected by these two communist countries behind in case of any conflict.

Therefore, in terms of the international relations, I would think North Korea is much more freer country than South Korea.

At least they can decide themselves on matters related to their own survival. "Juche" means just that. You defend your country by whatever means necessary.

You have the free will to develop nuclear weapons and have the free will to use it if and when it is necessary.

The only complaint of the North Korean people may be the economic condition which is caused by the international sanctions.

As soon as the economic condition gets worsens in the US, you will see mass exodus also from the US. So there, situation is not much different. People are pretty much the same, if you are fed well, little inconvenience doesn't really matter even though TSA may grope your crouches.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
reply to post by SLAYER69

I'm not sure where I said that NK's were bloodthirsty and the such....

why is it that everyone on here wants to put words in the mouths of others?

I guess now we are even it wasn't directed solely at you per-say. Your reply to me seems fitting. Sound familiar?

Are you the only one in the thread?
I quoted your response so that you'd see the source. Never said you advocated anything.

Seems you are the one ASSUMING that was meant for you.

You quoted me, then directed the entire post to me, finishing with:

Yes but just like you apparently cannot stand hearing about how easily [Some claim] the US would roll over them. The North Korean are not as fierce or blood thirsty as you would have everybody believe.

So yeah, it was meant for me. nice try though.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic

Wouldn't care what they think they could kiss my ass you better be lucky I AM NOT THE PRESIDENT. AND if they sent a nuke to our soil we could nuke them back ten times more and then some.. I would be willing the possibility if china and russia had the balls to nuke us for nuking north korea but not going to happen. YES IM ADVOCATING NUCLEAR WAR ON NORTH KOREA SO MANY MANY MANY more don't die in a dumb footbattle.

YOUR ALSO forgetting we could use cruise missiles and wipe north korea out it don't HAVE TO BE A NUKE.. We got missiles that would wipe them out WITH AN AIR BATTLE over any ground battle...

NUKE OR MISSILE THE CRAP OUT OF THEM duuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Yes we are all VERY lucky you aren't in charge. You don't care what they think? You would when (at minimum) the sanctions started or (more likely) america gets lit up like a christmas tree.

So you are okay with millions and millions dying a gruesome death from nuclear war, but not in a footwar? And what about the millions that would die in the retaliation?

Nuclear war will bring about the end of the world. Have fun with that.

We could wipe out NK with cruise missiles? Yeah, right. 'Cuz the US is the only one with missiles. Not even going to bother with that one.
edit on 24-11-2010 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
North Korea is the country most likely to involve the United States in a large-scale war."
North Korea, which can and is willing to face up to the sole military superpower of the world, cannot be called a weak nation. Nevertheless, Analysts distort the truth and depict North Korea as an "impoverished" nation, starving and on the brink of imminent collapse. An impoverished, starving nation cannot face down a military superpower. Today few nations have military assets strong enough to challenge the US military. Russia, though weakened by the collapse of the Soviet Union, has enough assets to face up to the US. China, somewhat weaker than Russia, too, has strong military that can challenge the US. However, both Russia and China lack the political will to face down the US. In contrast, North Korea has not only the military power but also the political will to wage total war against the United States. North Korea has made it clear that it will strike all US targets with all means, if the US mounted military attacks on North Korea.

www.military-quotes.com...

The threat from north of the DMZ is formidable. North Korea boasts 100,000 well-trained special-operations forces and one of the world’s largest biological and chemical arsenals. It has stockpiles of anthrax, cholera, and plague, as well as eight industrial facilities for producing chemical agents—any of which could be launched at Seoul by the army’s conventional artillery. www.theatlantic.com...

2. North Korea’s Massive Retaliation Strategy

North Korea’s war plan in case of an US attack is total war, not the ‘low-intensity limited warfare’ or ‘regional conflict’ talked about among the Western analysts. North Korea will mount a total war if attacked by the US. There are three aspects to this war plan.

First, total war is North Korea’s avowed strategy in case of US preemptive attacks. The US war on Iraq shows that the US can and will mount preemptive strikes in clear violation of international laws, and the United Nations is powerless to stop the US. Any nation that is weak militarily may be attacked by the US at will. It is reasonable for North Korea to deter US attacks with threats of total war.

Second, North Korea expects no help from China, Russia, or other nations in case of war with the US. It knows that it will be fighting the superpower alone. Nominally, China and Russia are North Korea’s allies but neither ally is expected to provide any assistance to North Korea in case of war. Neither nation can or is willing to protect North Korea from attacks by the US, and North Korea alone can and will protect itself from US attacks. This principle of self-defense applies to all nations.

Third, North Korea’s total war plan has two components: massive conventional warfare and weapons of mass destruction. If the US mounts a preemptive strike on North Korea’s Yongbyon nuclear plants, North Korea will retaliate with weapons of mass destruction: North Korea will mount strategic nuclear attacks on the US targets. The US war planners know this and have drawn up their own nuclear war plan. In a nuclear exchange, there is no front or rear areas, no defensive positions or attack formations as in conventional warfare. Nuclear weapons are offensive weapons and there is no defense against nuclear attacks except retaliatory nuclear attacks. For this reason, North Korea’s war plan is offensive in nature: North Korea’s war plan goes beyond repulsing US attackers and calls for destruction of the United States.

The US war plan ’5027′ calls for military occupation of North Korea; it goes beyond the elimination of North Korea’s weapons of mass destruction. The US military regards North Korea its main enemy and likewise North Korea regards the US its main enemy. South Korea, too, regards North Korea its main enemy but North Korea does not regard South Korea its main enemy because South Korea is a client state of the United States and has no ability or power to act independent of the US. North Korea’s war plan is not for invading South Korea but for destroying the US.

www.sikharchives.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
You can use missiles to take them out doesn't have to be a footwar

Missiles make it an AIR battle..

Also wouldn't care as long as it is not americans or their allies that die because of north koreas billigerentcy

Told you better be glad i'm not the president.

Simple missiles would work niiiiiiice biiiiiiiiig missiles placed would stop all the crap right in peyongyang... Don't forget MOD north korea will use nukes if it is attacked they will NUKE SEOUL.. If you don't think crazy ill wouldn't use a nuke on south korea then your missing out of the real world..

Again, the "american lives are more important"argument. Such a sad statement on humanity.

I think you need to research missile tech, and anti-aircraft tech, before making naive, immature little comments like "nice big missiles placed".

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
our troops are not spread to thin. dont forget we fought Japan and the Germans in WW2 dont under estimate the USA. this country if fully capible of fighting in koria along side its allies
edit on 24-11-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Yeah!!

America, F*CK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother f*cking day, yeah!
America, F*CK YEAH!
Freedom is the only way, yeah!

I say let Korea sort it out between themselves.
edit on 24-11-2010 by Project-Sign because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

the nuclear option is simply off the table.

tit for tat..unless NK can obliterate the entire worlds nuclear supply or somehow take out Americas intelligence (which are both impossible tasks) it knows if it were to even hint at using some kind of nuclear device on south korea it would be turned into a glass parking lot...

there will be small ongoing skurmishes until more rational positions are taken by each countries leadership.

america wont get involved, unless some invasion were to occur...thats not gunna happen. we have nothing to gain. not fighting communism anymore. so we will continue to posture...if something were to get ugly, then you would see Americas Navy/airforce spring into action..not much to worry about really. china wont retaliate against us. theres not an airforce/ navy in the world that can match the sheer destructive power of just those two branches.

its not about how many mouths you have to feed in your "standing army"..its about technology. America is on top of the list in this regard. I dont agree with having such a huge defense budget, but in the case of conventional war the navy would handle it without batting an eye.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I think you need to research missile tech, and anti-aircraft tech, before making naive, immature little comments like "nice big missiles placed".

Hypersonic Cruise Missile: America's New Global Strike Weapon

A tip sets the plan in motion--a whispered warning of a North Korean nuclear launch, or of a shipment of biotoxins bound for a Hezbollah stronghold in Lebanon. Word races through the American intelligence network until it reaches U.S. Strategic Command headquarters, the Pentagon and, eventually, the White House. In the Pacific, a nuclear-powered Ohio class submarine surfaces, ready for the president's command to launch.

When the order comes, the sub shoots a 65-ton Trident II ballistic missile into the sky. Within 2 minutes, the missile is traveling at more than 20,000 ft. per second. Up and over the oceans and out of the atmosphere it soars for thousands of miles. At the top of its parabola, hanging in space, the Trident's four warheads separate and begin their screaming descent down toward the planet. Traveling as fast as 13,000 mph, the warheads are filled with scored tungsten rods with twice the strength of steel. Just above the target, the warheads detonate, showering the area with thousands of rods-each one up to 12 times as destructive as a .50-caliber bullet. Anything within 3000 sq. ft. of this whirling, metallic storm is obliterated.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
reply to post by belial259

hmmmm. Why can't it win? It has a massive standing army, a crazy, ruthless leader, and a whole bunch of guns pointed right at a super overpopulated country. Also they have nuclear weapons, and China, wherever they may stand.

Exactly! - people will just not think outside the box, EMP from a NK sub or feighter of the US coast and the US is finished, within a yr. The NK's have enough nuclear proof bunkers to house thier entire army plus food for over a yr.

Such a scenario would suit China very well - they will get to take the US, after a yr most of the Amreica will be dead of starvation, civil war and disease, no-one will be manning the subs or missiles they will be defenceless!

Really? i doubt NK has the Tech to do any type of EMP blast and if so they would EMP themself. lol. really dumb idea. im sure all our ships and war plains are updated with EMP blast shields anyways.

hahaha bunkers for a million men and food for a year. lol i doubt that to. NK can bearly feed itself and do you have any idea how much food it would take to feed a million people for a year.

Lets thing about things first before hand

edit on 24-11-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Conventional wisdom is that NK has an EXTREMELY complex underground system in their country. This is not out of the question.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Hypersonic Cruise Missile: America's New Global Strike Weapon

A tip sets the plan in motion--a whispered warning of a North Korean nuclear launch, or of a shipment of biotoxins bound for a Hezbollah stronghold in Lebanon. Word races through the American intelligence network until it reaches U.S. Strategic Command headquarters, the Pentagon and, eventually, the White House. In the Pacific, a nuclear-powered Ohio class submarine surfaces, ready for the president's command to launch.

When the order comes, the sub shoots a 65-ton Trident II ballistic missile into the sky. Within 2 minutes, the missile is traveling at more than 20,000 ft. per second. Up and over the oceans and out of the atmosphere it soars for thousands of miles. At the top of its parabola, hanging in space, the Trident's four warheads separate and begin their screaming descent down toward the planet. Traveling as fast as 13,000 mph, the warheads are filled with scored tungsten rods with twice the strength of steel. Just above the target, the warheads detonate, showering the area with thousands of rods-each one up to 12 times as destructive as a .50-caliber bullet. Anything within 3000 sq. ft. of this whirling, metallic storm is obliterated.

I dont doubt that the tech is there. I SERIOUSLY doubt that it would get through air defense, and even if it did, NK isnt going to stand and watch....

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Do you realize how fast 13,000 miles per hour is?

I seriously doubt you understand the concept or implications. Oh and by the way the articles is over 4 years old. I remember reading many years ago in Popular mechanics about the then undeveloped M-1 Abrams Tank, the TOW and F-22 and many other systems. It's a good source IMO

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Wow...lots of comments of "we would win in matter of days"..."we would dominate the skies and the seas"..."North Korea would be no problem"...

...yet we all can agree that N.Korea would be a bit tougher to handle than Iraq, yes? N.Korea would be slightly better equipped than Afghanistan, correct? Could someone please remind me exactly how long the war in the Middle East has been going on for now? Ten years sound close enough to the rest of you? Shouldn't we have simply dominated the airspace over Iraq and won instantly? As I recall, watching from a hotel room in California at the time, we bombed the absolute # out of Bahgdad...and we are STILL fighting that war. So why in the blue hell should we think that Korea would be a cakewalk? Size? Let's compare:

Korea (combined island) is 136,167 square miles.
Iraq is 169,234 square miles.

Not that much smaller, now is it? Not to mention that Korea has a powerful allie in China. It has been said many times in this thread, but I will repeat it. If North Korea invaded South Korea the US would be hesitant to step in. Jumping into a war that might involve the world's #2 superpower would be foolish and, quite frankly, moronic. Especially since it seems China has made their bid to weaken the US dollar...and you also would have to keep in mind that Moscow is getting pretty chummy with the PRC. Where everybody stands right now is not clear, and so a response from the States against N.Korea would be slow coming at best.

Also, I read on the first page that "historically leaders who have been nutjobs haven't faired too well" or something to that degree. Er...need I mention Hitler? Oh yes, he lost the war...but only because he had no patience. Before the States stepped in and Japan bowed out, Germany gave the entire European world a right good ass kicking. The line between insanity and genius is very thin...Hitler was a terrible human being, but a brilliant military and political strategist. Which actually makes sense....

GtkP

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by belial259
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Comparison of North and South Korea military

Throw in the US, Japan, Australia possibly some others. How can North Korea win? Their military isn't very advanced and they can only get supplies from China. How long could they last in a real fight? They would certainly lose any hope of sea or air supremacy almost instantly, along with their naval and air forces.

the trouble with a secretive state is that they do tend to hide their power from the world , they probably have far more advanced weapons than you think

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I do get it, thank you very much. To me, however, this is hearsay anyway. Until there is evidence of them being used in combat and their effectiveness, its all conjecture.

As far as Popular Mechanics goes, I personally dont take them as all that great of a source. So I guess all I can do is wait and watch.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

To me, however, this is hearsay anyway. Until there is evidence of them being used in combat and their effectiveness, its all conjecture.

Fair enough, in the meantime it's more real than you know and development continues....

US Air Force Tests Hypersonic Cruise Missile

WASHINGTON — The US Air Force on Wednesday test launched a hypersonic cruise missile, with the vehicle accelerating to Mach 6 before splashing down in the Pacific Ocean, officials said. The Air Force said the test flight of the X-15A Waverider lasted more than 200 seconds, the longest ever hypersonic flight powered by scramjet propulsion.

The previous record was 12 seconds in a NASA X-43 vehicle. "We are ecstatic to have accomplished most of our test points on the X-51A's very first hypersonic mission," Charlie Brink, program manager with the Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio. "We equate this leap in engine technology as equivalent to the post-World War Two jump from propeller-driven aircraft to jet engines," he said.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Guido the Killer Pimp

agreed, I think by some, the power of N korea is being underestimated by some on this thread, thats what propaganda will do to you I suppose. Not to say if China didn't step in we wouldn't win, but certantly not in a matter of hours!

and i've go to ask, wtf does your signiture mean

edit on 24-11-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: forgot a word

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guido the Killer Pimp
Wow...lots of comments of "we would win in matter of days"..."we would dominate the skies and the seas"..."North Korea would be no problem"...

I love it when people chime in and make bogus quotes and get starred for it.
I petty those foolish enough to star them.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join