It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Koreas on 'brink of war' because of Seoul, Pyongyang says'.brand new cnn article

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Even if they did the USA still outnumber NK almost 10 -1

I dont believe that NK could honestly win on thier own, if China stepped in that would be a very different story.

But if anything were to kick off with NK and SK it wouldnt just be NK vs SK

It would be NK vs SK, USA, UK, AUS, JAP and probably more

without China i dont believe they would last long, it would be a different kind of warfare than the war being fought in Afghanistan and Iraq so i dont believe thats any comparison

Would China step in? Nobody knows that except China....Things would not turn out good if they did as i think the russians may just step in on thier side.

I hope nothing happens tbh

Edit to add: IF NK sent those people unfit for battle to do battle they would be more of a hindrance to the NK army than help tbh
edit on 24/11/10 by moosevernel because: Add text

You state this as though the us will enlist a draft and send 1 million troops over. Dont forget, this would be war on foreign soil. The logistics get a whole lot tougher when you have to transport EVERYTHING across the world.

NK is far more advanced than Afghanistan. If we cannot defeat afghanistan, what makes you think that NK would be a pushover?

Sending unfit soldier in certainly has worked, again, in afghanistan, and in vietnam. Guerilla warfare is nearly unwinnable.

You and I are together on it though- I truly hope none of this happens. For everyones sake.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX

How do you think China will react to all out war in Korea? I'm curious, it's a tough spot for them, I think they'll just give them supplies but maybe not they could actully sent troops etc....

I truly think it would depend on SK's Allie's reactions. If 5 countries come in to fight against the NK, I dont think china would stand by.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plan2exist18
is it just me of have the Koreans been "on the brink" of war for about 4-5 years now?
2nd

Actually for about 50.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

This is utter madness. If the US starts a war with North Korea with the possibility with a confrontation with China then that is insane.

The US would possibly be beaten and S. Korea would be in shambles. Or a worst possibility is a nuclear confrontation over what?

There is no strategic intrest in a war with N. Korea it would be for nothing but saber rattling Ego.

link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
[
NK is far more advanced than Afghanistan. If we cannot defeat afghanistan, what makes you think that NK would be a pushover?

I HATE HATE HATE this argument!!!!!! I have no idea why people even say such things..

You think the U.S, alone, couldn't walk in and DESTROY the Afghani army?....
LOL. They toppled the Iraqi army in a matter of a week.

You're crazy to think US will be sticking around after this battle to fight insurgency or rebuild.
Clean it from the air... send in UN aid workers.

link   
reply to post by seagull

where do i start??? China??? They have been trying to kill us for a long time, drywall, plates,cups toys, lead content, defective parts, tainted steel, i could go on and on but i will not, i have been waiting for a move like this, from the Nk, Now will we the US and SK push them to a fight or back off?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Plan2exist18

yea....

but N korea didn't sink a war ship, and fire artillery rounds a S korea until very recently, things are escalating, and China's the key to the whole thing.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

well as you say so many countrys out tech us in military might can you please explain to me who these people are and what they have. how are they better then us? there not for the most part. USA is number one. who else would be and why?

one other thing we have on our side is freedom. take Iraq as an example in 1991. they turned and ran when we came plowing through the front door. A free man fights better then a man forced to fight. NK and China and not really what you call a free country.

link   
reply to post by Plan2exist18

If you listen to the North Korean govt radio broadcasts, you'd think that they've been on the brink of all out war since the truce was signed... and they'd be right.

The war never officially ended, it only came to a negotiated truce to stop.

That's why, in all likelihood, this is only another in a long line of incidents that'll blow over, given half a chance. Neither side, especially the South, wants another shooting conflict. The South has entirely too much to lose, and the PTB in the North might just lose what he's got...his power. If the North Koreans ever realize fully just what the rest of the world has, and they don't...

link   

Make excuses all you want. You are still talking about wars in which we were not even able to achieve our goals, let alone win(although, no one wins a war).

Saddam Husein is gone. His military is destroyed. There is a new Government trying their best to pick up the pieces and move forward. Which is hard to do when there are Iranian trained and supplied insurgents which needlessly extended the death and destruction a full two years or more for nothing and are attempting to provoke a sectarian war between Shiites and Sunnis etc.

So your measurement of strongest economy is based ONLY on GDP? There's a heck of alot more to it than that. How can you possibly be so simplistic? And, according to the IMF and the CIA Wold Factbook, the US is second to someone (the EU).

But the EU is not a single country. NOT Yet and maybe never.

There is far more to strength of economy than GDP however. I'm not going to get into economics here, as it is very in depth and I am by no means an expert, but sufficed to say, if you think it is only GDP, you have A LOT of learning to do.

Yes, like the size and strength of it's military, it's technology it's human rights at home. [Contrary to online pop culture opinions] Americans have it much better than is being perceived even with an Airport pat-downs....

Again, I suggest you step away from CoD and Rambo, and look at the real world.

Some of us have and presently have family members in the REAL real world.

edit on 24-11-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

We shall just have to agree to disagree on who we think would win
Im not here for a debate just for information anyways.

But yeah as i already said i hope nothing happens and i believe it very easily could. Kinda sucks for the koreans really

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

[

I HATE HATE HATE this argument!!!!!! I have no idea why people even say such things..

You think the U.S, alone, couldn't walk in and DESTROY the Afghani army?....
LOL. They toppled the Iraqi army in a matter of a week.

You're crazy to think US will be sticking around after this battle to fight insurgency or rebuild.
Clean it from the air... send in UN aid workers.

You proved my point for me without even trying. We toppled the Iraqi army-then spend 2 years fighting the guerilla fighters that WE CREATED. Fighting in another country isnt just about fighting their army. It's EXACTLY what we are seeing in afghanistan.

So you would advocate the US fighting a war and then not stabilizing the area afterward? We are permanently based in SK. Of COURSE we would still be there after the fighting.

And no I dont think the US army could march in and topple afghanistan. Russia couldnt do it. Napoleon couldnt do it. No one in history has been able to do it. Because you are not just fighting the afghani army. You are fighting the terrain. The guerillas. and Everything else. Historically, afghanistan has been probably the single most difficult place to defeat.

So go ahead and hate the argument. Doesnt change its validity whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

What makes you so certain it'll be the US that starts it? Last time I looked, these incidents are, for the most part, instigated by the North Koreans, not the South, much-less the United States.

Seriously, the South Koreans, and to a lesser extent, the US have far too much to lose in another conflict. As does China, for almost identical reasons. They are global economic powers with nothing to gain. Only North Korea has a maniacal enough a leader to believe there's an advantage to be gained by a war on the Korean Penninsula...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Make excuses all you want. You are still talking about wars in which we were not even able to achieve our goals, let alone win(although, no one wins a war).

Saddam Husein is gone. His military is destroyed. There is a new Government trying their best to pick up the pieces and move forward. Which is hard to do when there are Iranian trained and supplied insurgents which needlessly extended the death and destruction a full two years or more for nothing and are attempting to provoke a sectarian war between Shiites and Sunnis etc.

So your measurement of strongest economy is based ONLY on GDP? There's a heck of alot more to it than that. How can you possibly be so simplistic? And, according to the IMF and the CIA Wold Factbook, the US is second to someone (the EU).

But the EU is not a single country. NOT Yet and maybe never.

There is far more to strength of economy than GDP however. I'm not going to get into economics here, as it is very in depth and I am by no means an expert, but sufficed to say, if you think it is only GDP, you have A LOT of learning to do.

Yes, like the size and strength of it's military, it's technology it's human rights at home. [Contrary to online pop culture opinions] Americans have it much better than is being perceived even with an Airport pat-downs....

Again, I suggest you step away from CoD and Rambo, and look at the real world.

Some of us have and presently have family members in the REAL real world.

1) Great and good about saddam. Not sure what your point is.
2)No, the EU isnt a single country. However, it is measured as one based on GDP. So thanks for that.
3)I have never said that americans dont have it good, so again, Im not sure your point. And yes, the things you mentioned do play into strength of economy. But again, these are just the very tip of the iceberg.
4)Great for your family. At the very least then, you ought to realize that the US isnt the only military power in the world, and that it isnt as easy as walking in and toppling them.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

well as you say so many countrys out tech us in military might can you please explain to me who these people are and what they have. how are they better then us? there not for the most part. USA is number one. who else would be and why?

one other thing we have on our side is freedom. take Iraq as an example in 1991. they turned and ran when we came plowing through the front door. A free man fights better then a man forced to fight. NK and China and not really what you call a free country.

I never said so many countries out tech us. I said we arent the only ones with military tech. Truth be told, not a single one of us on this board knows what tech our, or the russian, or the chinese, militaries have, as they tend to not advertise their newest greatest weapons. One thing is for sure though-Russia has historically been more advanced than the US in military tech.

This 'US is #1' attitude is the reason that the entire world is turning away from us right now. No country is '#1'. Until you stop striving to be, you are missing the point.

What of those that are drafted, in your scenario? Do those count as free men choosing to fight?

I would argue that a man fighting to defend his home is the strongest fighter in the world. Free or otherwise. Do you think that if the US entered NK that civillians would not pick up guns and fight, just the same as they would here is chinese troops were invading?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

That's certainly a silly way to go about it... All those things you mention are not attempts to kill us, but are attempts to short cut quality in the name of quantity. A lack of quality control, if you will. ...and if people buy the stuff knowing that it's low standard, then they've really haven't any reason to squall... You do indeed, get what you pay for.

There's nothing evil afoot here, unless you consider trying to make the most money for the least amount of effort evil. Wrong? Yes. A nefarious plot to destroy the US with plaster boards? Not so much.

A war with China is sheer unadulterated madness, not to put too fine a point on it. Far too much to lose, with little or nothing to gain. China is on the verge of some radical change in the near future, as the old guard dies off, and is replaced by Western educated, in some cases anyway, technocrats...the hardline Marxism preached by the Chinese govt is going to become more and more muted, and will eventually evolve, barring another revolution, into a landed gentry...though they won't call themselves that. Plus ce change, plus ce mem chose...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The only arguments that are coming for you are “no the usa cant win” and wars Afgan and Vietnam that we did not “win”, that are completely different entities. One based on a war on terrorism and not a state and other based on gorilla warfare and the usa fighting for our allies “the freed people of Vietnam.” Once we pulled out of that place million were killed by those gorillas.

Question. How in the world is NK and China better then us at fight. The USA has been at war its whole life

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I never said so many countries out tech us. I said we arent the only ones with military tech. Truth be told, not a single one of us on this board knows what tech our, or the russian, or the chinese, militaries have, as they tend to not advertise their newest greatest weapons. One thing is for sure though-Russia has historically been more advanced than the US in military tech.

Speaking of Afghanistan wasn't it American Stinger missiles that made the Soviet Air-power turn tail and balk?

As far as I know on the recent world stage [past 40 years or so] whenever Soviet/Russian hardware came up against US/West hardware in a face off in the REAL world their equipment was shown to be less than advertised.

FOR THE RECORD

I'm NOT saying Russia or China cannot or has not produced some very good hardware. On the contrary, but it is not as advanced as you are trying to make it out to be. I'm also not saying we have the best. What I will say is look at the most recent conflicts and see which hardware has performed the best. Sure we had a shoot down of the f-117 stealth fighter but that was what? 30 year old technology at the time.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The only arguments that are coming for you are “no the usa cant win” and wars Afgan and Vietnam that we did not “win”, that are completely different entities. One based on a war on terrorism and not a state and other based on gorilla warfare and the usa fighting for our allies “the freed people of Vietnam.” Once we pulled out of that place million were killed by those gorillas.

Question. How in the world is NK and China better then us at fight. The USA has been at war its whole life

I never said the us cant win, so please dont quote me falsely. Theres no need to try and play shady games to try and change the context of what was said. All I said is it would not be a cakewalk, as you want to think.

I cant answer your question. Because there is no answer. Its not always about 'who is better'. Do you know what an intangible is? Do you understand the logistics of war?

Can you answer how the US is 'better' in a fight? The us has been at war for a few hundred years-china has been at war for a few thousand. Its an irrelevant argument anyway, as number of wars in the past means nothing, but come on. If you are going to use that argument, you probably ought to consider that the US is a relative baby compared to china.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

This 'US is #1' attitude is the reason that the entire world is turning away from us right now. No country is '#1'. Until you stop striving to be, you are missing the point.

What of those that are drafted, in your scenario? Do those count as free men choosing to fight?

I would argue that a man fighting to defend his home is the strongest fighter in the world. Free or otherwise. Do you think that if the US entered NK that civillians would not pick up guns and fight, just the same as they would here is chinese troops were invading?

yes i would agree with your statment. lets just look at the past for the future. drafts in Civil War, WW1, WW2, and Vitnam. all fought for there country not as slaves.

anyways im tired of arguing over who is better. Let’s just agree to disagree and that I believe in American and its allies and that it can win VS NK and China and you believe NK and China can win.
edit on 24-11-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join