It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You Should Avoid Root Canals Like the Plague?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
www.lewrockwell.com...

I look at this as more a medical issue than a conspiracy but take it as you see it.

I recently had a tooth abscess that had been through the root canal procedure many, many years ago. I was informed by the dentist that my options were to take antibiotics, get another root canal or have the tooth extracted.

I asked the dentist how the antibiotics would be able to get to the bacteria if the tooth had been left dead via the initial root canal process and he indicated there were still many other means for blood to get to the tooth. I didn't really buy that but...what the hell.

That being said, I went for option 1 since it was obviously the cheapest and did my 10 day cycle of antibiotics. While the inflammation of the abscess certainly decreased, I still think the tooth will need to either have another root canal or be extracted based on the fact that the inflammation of the gum surrounding the tooth has not returned to normal.

Considering the cost of the initial root canal and the cost of the crown to cover the tooth, I am not thrilled about going through the process again. Listening to the video/reading the article regarding what is required for proper extraction of the tooth to ensure that all potential means of infection are eradicated sounds even more costly but is supposedly better for you in the long run health wise. I have read that infections in the teeth/gums can definitely spread throughout your blood stream and they can prove to be extremely negative for your health.

I guess I am intrigued by what I've read in this article and would be interested to hear from those who have more insight regarding its contents.

I don't know how many dentists/orthodontists are members of the site but figure I'd present this and see what you think since some of the information seems plausible whereas some of it sounds a little crazy considering root canals have been the norm for how many years?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well I just had some root canal work completed about a week ago. Took five visits to the dentist to get it all fixed. Couldn't go the antibiotic route this time because I'd apparently waited a bit too long before seeing the dentist. However, aside from the first painful visits the rest went well and there have been no after effects as far as I can tell. I've had other root canal work done in the past by the same dentist and there's never been any follow-on health issues.

On to your main point, I've not heard or read of any extreme effects of contamination but as I'm not a dentist, I can only speak as a moderately well-informed layperson. Hopefully we have some health professionals who can give more fact-based opinions.

I can appreciate that for some, the cost factor is always of concern. Fortunately where I live it's not the main one as we have national health so I paid practically nothing (and we can choose our own dentist), but if antibiotics can fix the problem that's preferable to the "drilling and killing", for sure.

Regards,

Mike
edit on 23/11/10 by JustMike because: Typos

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I fear any major need to see a dentist or doctor. To combat this fear, I eat a healthy diet. Have been a smoker since 12 of something or another, yet have been cavity free for 28 of my life. No flossing, and only brush once a day. How? I stopped intaking any excess sugars which feed the bacteria and corrode your teeth, and started drinking a lot of tea daily at an early age. The tea has antibacterial properties. It also has a healthy dose of fluoride IF you get it in loose leaf premium form.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well, it is also a concern that, when root canals are conducted, dentists in the "program" put electronic mind control implants in while the patient is anesthetized.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

I'm not a dentist but I have had at least 6 root canals and have never heard of option one.I have always been put on antibiotics and then had the root canal.If I was you I would get it taken care of one way or the other,reason #1 infected teeth can have ill effects directly on the heart,and can cause sepsis,if not root canaled(not sure that's a word) and you don't need the tooth get it taken out.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
i had a root canal done a little over a year ago to try and fix a serious infection that had spread along my entire jaw. the root canal fixed the problem but i was VERY dissatisfied regardless.

for months i suffered migraines around my left eye, and went to the doctor to find the cause. the doctor said i had a sinus tooth infection, and a small bump forming above one of my teeth told him i should get a dentist to check out the problem but in the meantime i was given antibiotics. the antibiotics brought an end to the pain but i still had this bump forming. so i talked to my dentist about it. she said i saw "fine" with just the antibiotics and sent me on my merry way. months later the bump was bigger and has started to cause me pain. so i went back to the dentist and demanded some type of further treatment. and i was given an x-ray that revealed my entire top jaw was infected. it was a disgusting dead gray color on the xray, and it was decided that i need a root canal stat
im a Native American so my dental care is paid for through my band. the dentist office and band work together to make the payments, im not sure of the specifics. but i had to wait until my funding was approved to get the root canal. time passed and my pain increased but i never heard back from the dentist. so i called them up and asked what the problem was. they said there were complications and i need to have more tests done in order to get my funding approved. so i had more xrays of my head and was left to wait again. more time passed and the pain increased. but finally i got an appointment and had a root canal.

all in all it was a year or more from when my problems started before i got the necessary medical attention.
and it was over 2 months from when the root canal was prescribed before i got one.

i was furious that because i am Native i had to wait so long in pain before my case was taken seriously. if i wasnt such a poor mother#er i would have paid for it myself just to speed up the process.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I waited for 3 years to have a molar removed after it cracked due to pressure from my wisdom tooth. 2 weeks ago my dentist had to extract the root which was the only thing left of the tooth. Apparently infection of the teeth is the worst infection you could ask for for you breath the infection into your lungs, saliva carries the infection into the stomach and blood gets infected via the root - triple threat. People in poor health die from this often enough.
I took amoxicillin at least a dozen times in the past 3 years to clear the infections I was spontaneously getting but eventually the inevitable had to be done.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I appreciate the responses received thus far.

As a youth, I didn't take care of my teeth properly so am now paying the costs for that lapse.

I'm really interested to hear input regarding the things this Dr. Mercola had to say. To hear that something so routine could be so potentially damaging sounds a bit nuts to me. At the same time, his point about leaving something dead in the body makes quite a bit of sense too which is precisely why I asked the dentist how the antibiotics would be effective when the roots supplying blood to the tooth had been "killed and filled".

I guess I was both intrigued and perplexed by the article/video so figured I'd get the take of others.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Dentists make $1,000.+ USD for a root canal. It's all about the cash. Dentists will dream up reasons to
give someone a root canal. My son had his tooth shot off by my evil neighbor's son, it was an air soft gun.
A nice older dentist fixed the tooth by sealing it that night, and we waited to see what would happen. A month later I had the tooth rebuilt by the family dentist when the nerve calmed down. The dentist was already pushing root canal. I said no. After that my son was fine for two years then his braces put pressure on the tooth, and cracked the rebuilt tooth. I made the dentist fix the tooth and prescribe antibiotics. He is still saying the tooth nerve is dead and we need root canal. That was a year ago, my son's tooth is fine. Getting a root canal could be very painful, and discolor the tooth so it won't match the others. I am looking for a new dentist. I hate, loathe, being pumped for money. Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, and Veternarians are Greedy. I know ,I have a few of those on our family tree. Greedy. Watch out for it. Do your own research before you decide to fund someone.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I had one once when I was in the third grade. Never again. The dentist didn't use anesthesia. I felt everything.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Oh, now I know what you are talking about that crap they put in the empty tooth to fill it up after the root canal before the temp cap. They do it so any bacteria or bad stuff doesn't rot the tooth from the inside out. That's what my dentist told me it was for because I thought it was to just fill up the hole like cement. My extraction only cost me 74 dollars but the root canal + porcelain cap was 800. Good luck

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

im not a dentist but i am a nurse, sounds like you werent given a long enough course of antibiotics, if ur gums have not yet receded back to thier original size, thing with gm abcesses is that if a tooth needs to be extracted, it cant be done while the abcess is in the gum, the abcess first has to be treated and then the tooth extracted, so its costly anyway as you pay for the medication as well as the surgery.

if u still have swelling around the gum then there is still "infection" there, and if not treated will flare up again, i suggest getting another weeks course, amoxycillin are good for gum abcesses, and perhaps corsodyl antiseptic mouthwash to help keep the bacteria in your mouth at a normal level.

hope this helps

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

Thank your for your response. I too was thinking the 10 days may not have been enough and have since purchased more amoxycillin.

What is interesting is seeing how the gum tissue can flare on one day and recede the next. I may be doing something dangerous using myself as a guinea pig to observe what may cause the flare one day of the gum and a recession the next but I guess that's the scientist in me.

Star for you.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

reasons for it flaring and receding can be a couple of things, if you are eating a lot and chewing with the culprit tooth that can cause it to swell, and a build up of bacteria can cause it to flare up, try chewing on the other side of your mouth for a couple days and you should notice a difference and use the mouthwash, but it can also be flaring because the infection is still present, the abcess could still be filling with fluid, and perhaps when u eat it bursts but ur not noticing which will cause it to recede again. but yes definately sounds like the infection is still there.

just try to keep your mouth as clean as possible, rinse with water or mouthwash after u eat and steer clear of acidic food and drink such as fresh orange juice this will only irritate it

thanks for the star

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

How about you should avoid root canals because they are a HUGE pain in the ass. painful as well

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Sadly every tooth in my mouth has had a root canal and a porc. crown applied except my 5 lower front teeth. I've always been obsessive about my teeth, brush morning and night, and yes even floss every day. Some people just have crap teeth I think....well and the fact I think of sugar as my favorite food group. JK...well not really.

I'm pretty sure I paid for my dentists porshe. Not Kidding.
I have also decided paying $1000.00/tooth ie: root canal and cap, out of pocket AFTER my dental insurance has already paid its portion is ridiculous. If I have any trouble out of my last 5 natural teeth I will have them all removed at once and have a permanent bridge put in place.

It makes me furious to think about dental costs. Teeth are so important to ones overall health it should be included in our medical health insurance coverage.

Anyway, Hope your feeling better now.

p.s. About a yr ago I felt the familiar pain coming on and I started to gargle with M.M.S. everyday for a good month and haven't had any trouble from the suspicous tooth.. That stuff killed whatever infection was brewing.

edit on 24-11-2010 by Bachrk because: spelling as usual

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Haven't tried MMS, but other things to consider for oral infections are oregano oil, and black walnut/clove/wormwood tincture. I have slight oral thrush that shows up every once in a while due to the smoking, but it goes away quickly if I use either of these. The trick is to always have something or another that's keeping the bacteria in check every 2-3 hours. I mostly use tea for this, but there's some other things that can work as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I had a tooth abscess that caome up every so in while after root canel. I would have to get antibiotics, which i dont like taking. This went on for a number of years till one day when it came up i put some essential oil of myrhh on it and i felt it going down. It has never come back since. I am not a herbilist so i am not suggesting you do this.. I am just letting you know...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
i was told i needed a root canal at the last check up thanks for the heads up

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by amc621
How about you should avoid root canals because they are a HUGE pain in the ass. painful as well

Don't be mislead by the term "root".
This rooting is all oral and will not hurt your ass at all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join