It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats Stops YOU from having FAITH in ONE IDEA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Hey ATS!

Simple question; What stops YOU from having faith in one idea?

Background on this thought; A couple of hours ago i finally realized that people will choose to accept the way things are despite the obvious flaws in the system. I have met people who believe MONEY is absolute and disregard Intelligence with immense hypocrisy. I cannot begin to explain the thought process i went through earlier this evening. I have never felt so much hurt, so much weight on my shoulders over the reality many choose to accept.

What is going on guys? Why do folks lack faith in new idea's and creative yet smart, new innovative ways to make society work for everyone involved? Would you rather be alone the rest of your lives or choose to live amongst others who want to transcend the dream into reality?

Thank you for your time. -alex.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Fear ??

The older people get the more they resist change, the patterns of the world around them slowly begin to wind down, trapping them in time and ignorance.

it seems the older most people get the more they yearn the olden days, where everything made sense to them.

Why change if their " system" has worked so long.

Or perhaps with age comes apathy, .... and at the end of the day nobody really gives a #$^#

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Logic, nothing is ever static, ideas as everything else evolve over time.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

Sheeple fear change. It's just that easy. In modern society maintaining the status quo is an all consuming notion. Apathy is easier, and sadly more palatable, than trying to bring about actual change. Further more, if you look at history societal evolutions need a catalyst and we, apparently, haven't found that catalyst.

To answer your question about believing in one thing... well that's just not for me. Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see. "Truth" in most cases in just a notion that someone got in their head. While there are most definitely "fixed" truths (2+2=4) most truth is malleable and subject to perception and perspective. What maybe true to you can be false to another person.

Er, I wish you luck when you transcend out of this dream.

edit on 11/23/2010 by F011235813 because: none ya

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

Not to be redundant, but to reinforce what other users said: FEAR OF CHANGE.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I was going to say Fear too.

But rather then just a one line me too guy, maybe I'll expand.

I suppose I used to fall into this category. I feared learning or trying new things, because I was deathly afraid of 'what if it's wrong?' 'What if I become something I don't want to be?' 'What if I just waste a lot of my life over something of no worth?' but then I came to the conculsion that a human mind, a human soul, is best operated when it is progressing or changing in one way or another

Since then I've hungrily chased after all kinds of new things, new ideas, new talents. Chances are I will continue to do so. But for those I see around me, they fear too much. They fear a limited and wasted life, wheras I've lost all fear of death, so that doesn't chain me. They fear being wrong, I know people can change, and its in our failures and (forgive the religous wording, but I am a religous man) repentance from wrong doing that teachs us the most.

If i could just open up everyone to the thrill and hunger of learning I would do so happily. But when I try, too many people just shut me out. They want to try and maintain a static life, a unchanging life, a meaningless life.
edit on 24-11-2010 by Vaykun because: Grammer

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaykun

Great testimony! Star.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I fear knee-jerk change -- that which is accepted too quickly because it 'might' fix what ails us. Myself, I don't resist change much at all, if it feels like the repercussions have been taken into account, and that it is the will of the people.

Politicians think we don't have a clue, and therefore our views don't matter, but we know what adversely affects us, don't we? Sure. I do agree that the common people -- myself included -- often lack a longview of what might be good for all in the long run.

I think many of us have become lazy in the sense that we don't embrace good old-fashioned labor and hard work. Get you hands dirty, work up a sweat and have goals. Slow and steady wins the race. In these modern times, so much is going on and so much happening behind the scenes out of the public eye. This is where the politician shines, but for whom do they shine? Each other and special interest groups. They don't shine for you and me, the people who put them in their seats of high distinction. They smile at us with their shiny white capped teeth and tell us that they'll take care of us, but we don't see it happening much do we? I have lost all faith in elected officials, except that on the very local level -- where we still know them well enough to walk up to them in the hardward store and say, "Hey, Joe, you promised to push for X in your campaign, but now you're sucking up to Y....... what gives?" That is the devil I know, but at least he/she is MY devil.

I don't fear change, I fear submission by the masses in exchange for shiny trinkets. Those bastards will unwittingly sell me out and then lock me up for protesting, as long as they can polish their trinkets and feel good about the exchange rate between those jewels and their dignity.

Faith? Faith in an idea borne of humanity? Yes, I believe it could be so, but faith in an idea that doesn't have a direct correlation to a monetary unit. Spirit is the medium of exchange, and we sell it cheaply.

I don't worship money. [for a copy of this rant, send $2.99 to P.O. Box Nowhere, Disgruntled, USA XXXXX]

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

Your last question makes me think you're starting a cult. But, to the point, I acknowledge that I have a lack of faith in anything. I don't have faith in religion because it does nothing for me and I can't accept a perspective that is narrow although I wish I lived in a far eastern nation cause I could have faith in Buddhism or a more peaceful religion. I don't have faith in anything mainly because I find that anytime I have faith in anything I realize that there is a different, better perspective that I hadn't previously thought of, and I find that it ruins my faith in the item in question. Basically, I've been burnt too many times to put faith in anything.

top topics

join