It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 54
<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 1FutureMarine1

Nothing really new, just posturing on both sides.

So far Obama has been quiet.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
This is about 1 group of people split into 2 by the US and brought into civil war.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/433ef1214957.jpg[/atsimg]
Korea

In 1945, the Soviet Union and the United States agreed on the surrender and disarming of Japanese troops in Korea; the Soviet Union accepting the surrender of Japanese weaponry north of the 38th parallel and the United States taking the surrender south of it. This minor decision by allied armies soon became the basis for the division of Korea by the two superpowers, exacerbated by their inability to agree on the terms of Korean independence. The two Cold War rivals then established governments sympathetic to their own ideologies, leading to Korea's current division into two political entities: North Korea and South Korea. The ensuing conflict between the two was largely a proxy war.

My only issue with that is that quote ends with Proxy War Well maybe for the Soviets it was a proxy war but the US alone sacrificed more than 50,000 of it's own in the defense of the south during the war. Not to mention the tens of thousands of the UN allies Australia, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Ethiopia, France, Greece, India, Italy, Luxembourg, United Nations, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, South Africa 1950, South Korea, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom. They wouldn't consider it a proxy war....

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It was a proxy war. Communism vs. Capitalism.

We got what we wanted at least in the south, a sympathetic government and a source of cheap labor for imported goods down the road, just as we did with Japan.

We didn't fight in Korea because we were feeling generous or kind, we did it to secure interests. As America was basically the only major world power that escaped WWII without major damage (excepting Canada and Australia) and because we had the Bomb, we were the flag that the world rallied behind.

It's fine and good to talk about brotherhood and friendship between Korea and the US, or Japan and the US, but the reality is that while the friendship is and was genuine, it was only offered because of the gains we could realize by having friendly GOVERNMENTS in the area that would allow us to lodge troops in, and guide the progress of.

Even to this day, when Uncle Sam yells "JUMP" Korea and Japan ask "HOW HIGH?"

Patriotism is great and I consider myself a patriot, but when your patriotism blinds you from seeing the STRATEGIC REALITIES of the situation you need to sit back and view the situation from another perspective.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by swiftfootedachilleus
reply to post by SLAYER69

Once more slayer ....... yawn ........ you're point is ?

North Korea Shells the South and now it's the US fault
is that what you are going on about? Because I refuse to be drawn into a discussion that is off topic doesnt mean I'm the slightest bit worried about anything you have to post.

You picked out one part of my reply and attempted insult .....

No insults. I just exposed your ignorance of the real history of the situation with your replies. If you're insulted then grow tougher skin.

What about the other parts ? The korean or vietnam parts ? ....... Have they no relevance to todays events or did i get you bang square on the chin ?

You can feel free to post whatever you wish. Please continue by all means.

Meanwhile , back at the ranch ...... The rest of the world holds its breath and hopes the US govt isn't swayed by ill informed public opinion into a pre-emptive nuclear strike against a small country on the other side of the world

AND where exactly are you getting this supposed jewel of information from? Between your ears? I know it's a popular stance amongst certain simple mined individuals in the US is responsible for all evils in the world crowd. When we see something official or hear about missiles being launched then we will know but until then it is you who are making false accusation and spreading FEAR FEAR FEAR.

Please continue
edit on 23-11-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I think its about time a few B2 bombers visited little Kimmies centrifuge plant and nuclear power stations along with a guarantee if he responds that he'll be sent back to the stone age,if you do not respond North Korea will just get bolder and bolder in its provocations.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
China will not do anything if the West / USA / Nato decide to help take out NK, the West is China's piggy bank and major customer so why go to war with what is exactly providing the money to build your own country and war machine.

I don't advocate war but it is about time NK got a good slapping, China behind closed doors will do a deal whilst still giving anti West rhetoric just to keep them in a good light, think about with NK gone that is one less thing the West can moan to China about, we can just keep banging on about human rights..........
edit on 23/11/10 by Wolfie_UK because: typo

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
AND where exactly are you getting this supposed jewel of information from? Between your ears? I know it's a popular stance amongst certain simple mined individuals in the US is responsible for all evils in the world crowd. When we see something official or hear about missiles being launched then we will know but until then it is you who are making false accusation and spreading FEAR FEAR FEAR.

Please continue

What do you think america does with all its bases all over the world? lol

Its a fact that the last 20 years america was the only super power, and they took full advantage by blowing up people like normal

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wasn't there a report recently about NK deploying special forces troops to the dmz. I thought I read something about it when the SK destroyer was sank. Could they be preparing for an invasion. I bet there are a few/alot of US subs with tomahawks waiting for the go ahead to attempt and destroy NK infastructure with little warning.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Can't they just get on it and fight. I guess south korea doesn't see their people as worth fighting for considering they have lost 46 sailors from the ship sinking, and now 2 marines, and many injured civilians and soldiers.

Protect you country and you people gosh darn it. Don't let the dirty commies push you around.
edit on 23-11-2010 by 1FutureMarine1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
All this BS!

I'd put money on it that North Korea did NOT attack South Korea. Why the hell would they - they have EVERYTHING to lose. S Korea on the other hand are charged with provoking an excuse for Western (US) action. This is (just like the sinking of the S Kopean ship) a mega obvious 'false flag'. It's no coincidence that this has come a few days after a new nuclear processing facility has been reported in N Korea.

South Korea quite obviously attacked first as part of the naval exercises they have been running - probably at the bequest of the US - and so N Korea retaliated.

N Korea said that they were attacked first, but who listens to them?

Just see how many mainstream news officials question that maybe N Korea is saying the truth. That's right - NONE. Not even worth questioning is it because them nasty N Koreans are all evil liars - aren't they?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglodemonicmatrix
I think its about time a few B2 bombers visited little Kimmies centrifuge plant and nuclear power stations along with a guarantee if he responds that he'll be sent back to the stone age,if you do not respond North Korea will just get bolder and bolder in its provocations.

Do that and you have are risking Seoul.

We can not really send them back to the stone age - they know we have nukes and are willing to use them, and they have been tunneling for the last 50 years in preparation for the day we nuke them.

This is one conflict where we can't just flash our nukes and make the enemy cower in fear. Also, NK has nukes now as well. Maybe they are on cargo ships, maybe they are in submarines. It would be a foolish gamble to just attack North Korea all out, as they would certainly respond in kind.

Besides, if we do "send them to the stone age" China will be a bit pissed off. Nuking NK will send lots of fallout into China and they will certainly retaliate as if we had nuked them directly. Maybe they will not attack us, but Taiwan will be done for.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
China will not do anything if the West / USA / Nato decide to help take out NK, the West is China's piggy bank and major customer so why go to war with what is exactly providing the money to build your own country and war machine.

I don't advocate war but it is about time NK got a good slapping, China behind closed doors will do a deal whilst still giving anti West rhetoric just to keep them in a good light, think about with NK gone that is one less thing the West can moan to China about, we can just keep banging on about human rights..........
edit on 23/11/10 by Wolfie_UK because: typo

Aside from killing a bunch of senior citizens and peasants, there is precious little we can actually do against North Korea which will not invite devastating retaliation. Sure, you can "deal with" NK but you're going to have to trade Seoul and possibly Tokyo to do it. And you have to do it with conventional weapons, China (and Russia) will not tolerate us nuking North Korea any more than the USA would tolerate it if China nuked Mexico.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfie_UK

I don't advocate war but it is about time NK got a good slapping

Agreed.

They need slapped 'up side' their Kim Jong Il.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbilly001
Wasn't there a report recently about NK deploying special forces troops to the dmz. I thought I read something about it when the SK destroyer was sank. Could they be preparing for an invasion. I bet there are a few/alot of US subs with tomahawks waiting for the go ahead to attempt and destroy NK infastructure with little warning.

That won't do the trick. We could carpet nuke the whole place and North Korea would still maintain significant military capability.

link   
reply to post by Adramalech

they have nothing to lose.
they have nothing!!!
if they were smart, they'd start the war, fight a few days, and then just surrender and let so. korea and american build up their country, ya know, electricity, malls, stores........FOOD!!!! and then well, after it's all built up, hey, then they can decide to go back to being a communist dictactor run state....
as a more modern nation.

link   

Originally posted by Adramalech
All this BS!

I'd put money on it that North Korea did NOT attack South Korea. Why the hell would they - they have EVERYTHING to lose. S Korea on the other hand are charged with provoking an excuse for Western (US) action. This is (just like the sinking of the S Kopean ship) a mega obvious 'false flag'. It's no coincidence that this has come a few days after a new nuclear processing facility has been reported in N Korea.

South Korea quite obviously attacked first as part of the naval exercises they have been running - probably at the bequest of the US - and so N Korea retaliated.

N Korea said that they were attacked first, but who listens to them?

Just see how many mainstream news officials question that maybe N Korea is saying the truth. That's right - NONE. Not even worth questioning is it because them nasty N Koreans are all evil liars - aren't they?

South Korea was using blanks how can you attack a country with blanks????? ITS ALL TAPED get real guy,

link   

Originally posted by 1FutureMarine1
Can't they just get on it and fight. I guess south korea doesn't see their people as worth fighting for considering they have lost 46 sailors from the ship sinking without a response, and now 2 marines, and many civilians and soldiers.

Protect you country and you people gosh darn it. Don't let the dirty commies push you around.

I'd have thought you'd want to delay any fighting till you were 1actualmarine, surely you relish the chance to kill dirty commies, rather than let others take the risks like all the other Chickenhawks do.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihsahn

Distractions, distractions, distractions. This is all to keep your mind and thoughts off the real stuff happening in this world.

Lets all just sit back and relax and watch the world crumble around us, crack open a beer and watch. Once they pull the plug on the internet, which btw passed the other day SB3804, will be the day it all really begins.

Enjoy life, try to be happy and confident, live it up. We might not have much time left.

Namaste

and

Semper Fi

Scott

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

With President Barack Obama's special envoy to North Korea now hitting the three major East Asian capitals (Seoul, Tokyo and Beijing) to try to figure out what, if anything, they can do about North Korea's escalating nuclear ambitions, Kim Jong Il apparently decided that it was time for some target practice. At about 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Korea, North Korea commenced a fusillade of artillery fire across the disputed maritime border between North and South, attacking an island in what the Koreas call the West Sea. For just over an hour, the North bombarded Yeonpyeong Island, killing two South Korean marines, injuring 16 more marines and injuring at least three civilians. More than 50 homes caught fire because of the bombardment, and residents of the sparsely populated island scrambled for safety in a bomb shelter. The South responded by scrambling F-16s - which did not cross into North Korean airspace, the South Korean Joint Chiefs said - and returning artillery fire, to unknown effect.
The assault - the second in the area in the past year - came in the midst of a nine-day live-fire exercise conducted by South Korean forces in the waters near the so-called Northern Limit Line, the U.N.-mandated maritime border that Pyongyang does not recognize. Late Tuesday, the North explicitly blamed these exercises for its attack: "Despite our repeated warnings, South Korea provoked us by firing artillery shells into our territory," said a statement from Pyongyang that was carried on the Korean Central News Agency, the North's primary external propaganda arm. "Our revolutionary forces countered with stern military actions. It is our traditional military countermeasure to punish perpetrator's fire with a thunderbolt of fire." The South, for the record, said the exercises were conducted on its side of the so-called NLL.

LINK TO SOURCE

top topics

<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join