It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Idea Ever? Buffy the Vampire Slayer Is Getting a Reboot—Without Joss Whedon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Worst Idea Ever? Buffy the Vampire Slayer Is Getting a Reboot - Without Joss Whedon

Hear that? It's the sound of Buffy the Vampire Slayer die-hards pumping their fists in rage. Or wait, is that just here in our office?

After years of fans hoping Joss Whedon's incarnation of the Buffy-verse might make it to the big screen, Warner Bros. has just officially announced they're doing a "reboot" version of Buffy, without any apparent involvement by the original creative team for the movie or TV show, including the man considered the end-all be-all Buffy mastermind, Whedon.

So what do these movie people have to say for themselves?

"There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character's return to the big screen," says Charles Roven, who will be producing the feature film through Warners and Atlas Entertainment. "Details of the film are being kept under wraps, but I can say while this is not your high-school Buffy, she'll be just as witty, tough, and sexy as we all remember her to be."

According to Warner Bros.' release, Roven, Steve Alexander, Doug Davison and Roy Lee will produce the new Buffy feature film,and Whit Anderson will write the script.

Read More...

Josh Whedon Reacts to Buffy Movie News: "I have strong, mixed emotions"

After Warner Bros. announced today that they are moving forward with a Buffy the Vampire Slayer "reboot"—without the involvement of the iconic mastermind behind the TV series, Joss Whedon—I checked in with Joss for his reaction, and here's what he just shared with me via email:

Kristin, I'm glad you asked for my thoughts on the announcement of Buffy the cinema film. This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.

Read More...

I have mixed emotions about this news myself. On the one hand, I would love to see an updated version of Buffy without Whedon involved. I think it's because of the stories I read where he would get pissed off at a cast member and change the story line to mess with the actors. There are stories on-line from the actor that played Zander and stories from other people about Charisma. Whether the stories are true or just gossip I don't know.

On the other hand, I really loved the cast of the TV series. It would be hard for me to accept different actors in their roles. One way or the other, I will definitely watch this.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
God damnit, and here I was thinking that there was going to be a Castlevania movie.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I think Castlevania is still in development. I haven't seen any updates on the status in a long time.

Yay for a new Buffy installment though. Wonder who/what will be the big bad this time?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Aren't there/hasn't there been enough vampire slaying monster killing dark evil underworld lookout a ghost tv shows?

I mean, I like them, some of them, but remaking one that was already finished?

So many good shows get canceled because people don't watch them enough, and we're toying with the idea of making ones that have been and gone???

weird..

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Buffy is being made into a Movie. That is why I posted the news in the Movie Forum BadW00lf. Buffy's story is not finished. The story has been continued through comic books since 2007.

LINK

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SunshineLaws

While I am a huge fan of Whedon, I find myself torn...

Buffy without Whedon seems heretical and wrong. But, then again, the Batman reboot seemed like a horrible idea as well. If they found the right people (script, director) this could actually bring in a vision of Buffy unlike Whedons, but possibly just as viable or valid.

Or else it could be the final sign of the apocalypse! Either way, might be a good thing!

~Heff

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Im the only fan boy who doesnt like whedon. I didnt care for buffy either, but in this new vampire craze thats going it doesnt surprise me

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
In my opinion Buffy jumped the shark around about the second time she was bought back to life and it had been getting steadily more silly up to that point.

Maybe a new movie might save it.

(I used to watch it religiously)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
so what? the 'original' was a FrightNight and Lostboys rehash..

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ewokdisco

Pretty much.... the original movie was campy, and funny (I mean, Pee Wee as a vampire?).....but still enjoyable.

Fans of the TV show won't be happy with anything less than SMG as Buffy, and Allison Hannigan as Willow, etc. on the big screen anyways.... You'd REALLY have to have the right mix to make this work...and we may be surprised, but I doubt it.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

For me it went downhill when David B.set off to do his own show. My wife liked Buffy and I liked Angel. Buffy seemed to get more feminine while Angel was more of a "guys" show. I loved the darker tones of Angel especially the last season.

As far as this reboot, it sounds pretty dumb. Not enough time has passed to do a reboot. Usually these get done when a younger generation, generally unfamiliar with the show, starts to show interest.

I guess all the Twilight tweens need a new movie.
edit on 23-11-2010 by mvirata because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
omfg thats just a TERRIBLE idea,how LAME!!!! I mean the old Buffy was great WHY do they need to destroy it? no no it wont destroy it but to reboot? WITHOUT WHEDON? whats the frickin' point? Im boycotting it. Theres no need for it. Cant they think of anythin new?
unbelievable

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Haha I posted this on my FB the other day. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Buffy and I am NOT happy over this remake without Joss...Buffy IS Joss and nobody can do it like he can. I don't care if this new writer or whoever she is watched Buffy her whole life, she isn't Joss. Everyone is all into the vampire thing again cause of those emo
vamps in Twilight. The creator of Twilight should be thanking Joss because you know she got some of her inspiration from Buffy and she turned vamps into wimps.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d64b31e632a.jpg[/atsimg]
Buffy all the way!
yes that is my tattoo

edit on 11/24/2010 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
In my opinion Buffy jumped the shark around about the second time she was bought back to life and it had been getting steadily more silly up to that point.

Maybe a new movie might save it.

(I used to watch it religiously)

Save it?! What needs to be saved? Buffy's best season was Season 6. It was dark and had so many underlying tones and meaning in it. It's one of my favorite seasons. Are you a true Buffy fan?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Buffy all the way!
yes that is my tattoo

mblahnikluver sometimes I think your only reason for being in this forum is to make me insanely jealous of your boyfriend

edit on 24-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunshineLaws
I think it's because of the stories I read where he would get pissed off at a cast member and change the story line to mess with the actors. There are stories on-line from the actor that played Zander and stories from other people about Charisma. Whether the stories are true or just gossip I don't know.

The stories about Nicolas Brendon and Charisma are true. He was an alcoholic and she hid her pregnancy at first and Joss wasn't happy about writing her pregnancy into the script, which imo was the WORST season of Angel ever. I hated the whole Jasmine, pregnant Cordy. They were suppose to go a different route but he had to change it because of her. As for Nicolas, he was apparently causing trouble on the set with his alcoholism. I believe he has talked about it at conventions as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Buffy all the way!
yes that is my tattoo

mblahnikluver sometimes I think your only reason for being in this forum is to make me insanely jealous of your boyfriend

edit on 24-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

LMAO! HAHA!
thanks hehe

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ewokdisco
so what? the 'original' was a FrightNight and Lostboys rehash..

The original wasn't like either of those imo....also the original was NOT how Joss wanted it. He has voiced that opinion a lot as well. He didn't want it to me cheesy like it turned out to be.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Yeah, me too. I love how creative Whedon is, but I tire of hearing about how the original Buffy wasn't the way he wanted it. How he had to change Angel because Charisma got pregnant (worst season ever), how the network wouldn't allow him to present Dollhouse the way he wanted to, etc., etc., etc. There always seems to be an excuse and of course, it's never his fault.

I'll be glad to see a re-boot of this story. I've missed watching Buffy. I hope the cast of the TV series gets on board with this.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Joss who? Meet the writer of the new ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ film [updated]

“Generally, I wouldn’t have said, ‘Let’s revive this,’ but Whit’s take is pretty compelling and a lot of fun, and it’s interesting to see all of this reimagined. This is a completely new reboot. Tone is extremely important, and you want the audience to realize what is at stake and the peril is real, but at the same time what’s going on should be fun and inviting and keep everyone engaged. It needs to be relevant to today too, and that is what Whit has found a way to do.”

Roven added: “There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character’s return…While this is not your high-school Buffy, she’ll be just as witty, tough and sexy as we all remember her to be.”

Sounds promising to me. This is scheduled for a 2012 release, but they are also saying it could be out as early as 2011. Yay!

new topics

top topics

join