It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity is a Polytheistic Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I was taught that Christianity is a monotheistic religion. We only belive in one god, supposedly. The Greeks, Romans, Sumarians, Aztecs and Hindus are the ones who have multiple gods. Then I noticed that Christians worship several supernatural beings. First we have two "Lords", Jesus and God, and the Catholics have Mary and all the saints. They are all worshiped as powerful beings that can change our lives. Why is this different from worshiping gods of trees along with gods of air, water, fire and so on? Suicide bombers yell out several supernatural being's names before they pull the trigger. So far, the suicide bombers have been Muslim, another supposedly monotheistic religion. Why make Muhamed a god too? These prophets and messiahs are given god status when they should just be regarded as great teachers. Discuss

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Oh I forgot about Satan, another powerful spirt used by many religions and one I don't belive in.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Oh I forgot about Satan, another powerful spirt used by many religions and one I don't belive in.

Haha, I was about to say you can't forget The Most Feared and Worshipped Deity in the entire bible! Why the most praised? There is a respect in avoidance, nobody wants to go to hell, because Shaitan is there, and he's apparently the only one who can endure the fire and brimestone, while still remembering himself, and that he is The Guardian of the most undesirable (according to yahweh). Think about it, not trying to have a power measuring contest, but who do you think gets more sacrifices, Jesus, Yahweh/G-d, or Sethen?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well you do have a great point here, and I enjoy a well thought out question such as this. In my opinion, I do only worship one God, but there are different aspects to God such as the son and holy spirit, each has its own role in a way, but they are one. If you think of Jesus and you think of God the father being the higher part of Jesus' self, then they are still just one. For example, my body is my body, but I also have a higher self, a higher being of self, its my heart or mind right, and I also have a soul, so there are three parts to me right, I have a body, but I also have a higher self mind, and I have a soul. But now would you say that I am three things, not really I am still just one but there are different parts to me you see. So in terms of God the father, Jesus the son, and the Holy spirit, Jesus is the body, God the father is the higher being of self, and the Holy spirit could be the soul, the spirit of God. And as to catholicism, my opinion is that the worship of Mary and all these other saints is called idolatry. This is my opinion, and I believe the holy spirit gives me the wisdom to form this opinion. Thanx for a great debate question!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I would still consider it monotheistic. God is the only real god in Christianity, all those other beings are really just higher beings, not exactly gods.

It doesn't really make a difference to me - I'm agnostic and, personally, I think this whole Christianity thing is bologna.

Edit: If you were wondering, I do know a lot about Christianity because I grew up in a Catholic home.
edit on 22-11-2010 by nicolee123nd because: frpijdfg

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

You sort of identify yourself as Christian, by saying "we". Weren't you paying attention in Sunday school?

No doubt each of these groups will be here shortly to "straighten you out" (should be interesting), but didn't you miss someone? How about the Jews? They seem to have a few questionable things going on too. Like when in Genesis, "God" says "We" (will make Man) in "Our" image...Hmmm, interesting. Seems like a whole lot of polytheism going on out there!

By the way, Catholics aren't supposed to worship Mary and the saints, and I've never heard of a Muslim who worshiped Mohammed! Maybe you're thinking of Allah?

Good luck!

JR

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

you should get your facts straight before you post something as stupid as this. Christians worship one God. Jesus ,in Christianity, was god. God became man. Mary was the mother of the man God. You worship God and only God if your a Christian, because you believe that only God created the universe, not Mary, and especially not Satan.
Ignorant threads like these get me pissed.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
in ancient greek and roman gods zeus was THE god and all the rest of them were minor dieties

in christianity GOD and Jesus are supposed to be one god in 2 persons [3 with the holy spirit] and the rest of them, are all minor dieties

yet people pray to them and have a st christopher medal or a Mary medal

I see your point perfectly that people do pray to many and not just one god

and as for Islam? do they also pray to angels and ask angels to help? I wonder

perhaps people need to have more than 1 to pray to?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesk8s247

I really don't think the idea is stupid, as I hear Prodistants say that Catholics worship more than one god. It angers them that the saints are prayed to, when it should be God, or Jesus. See there, I mentioned 2 supernatural beings that are being worshiped by the same religion. Yes, worshiped, prayed to, believed to have power in our lives. I am not trying to put down Christianity, just something I have always wondered about. How can you have a half-god working under a whole god? If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, is is a god?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesk8s247

you should get your facts straight before you post something as stupid as this. Christians worship one God. Jesus ,in Christianity, was god. God became man. Mary was the mother of the man God. You worship God and only God if your a Christian, because you believe that only God created the universe, not Mary, and especially not Satan.

And you should read your Bible before you post something as stupid as this. (paraphrasing here)

The Bible says clearly that there is only one God. When the Bible says that God is one, the word one does not refer to a "God Group", but to one God. Consider a few passages in the Old Testament.

"You were shown these things so that you might know that the Lord is God; besides him there is no other" (Deuteronomy 4:35).

"There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God" (1 Samuel 2:2).

"How great you are, O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears" (2 Samuel 7:22).

"So that all the peoples of the earth may know that the Lord is God and that there is no other" (1 Kings 8:60).

"I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me" (Isaiah 45:5).

"For this is what the Lord says he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited he says: `I am the Lord, and there is no other " (Isaiah 45:18.

"Declare what is to be, present it let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago, who declared it from the distant past? Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me. Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the Earth; for I am God, and there is no other" (Isaiah 45:21-22).

"Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me" (Isaiah 46:9).

Therefore, one can see, there is no question about the Biblical fact that there is one and only one God, not two or more "Gods." God says: "I am God, and there is no other."He speaks in the singular, as "I," saying that he is the only God, and there is no other being that is even like him. That's why God commands us, "You shall have no other Gods before me" (Exodus 20:3

But then,... we have these other Gods mentioned in the Bible:

Adrammelech II Kings 17:31 Sepharvite God.

Anammelech II Kings 17:31 Sepharvite God.

Ashima II Kings 17:30 Samaritan Moon Goddess.

Ashtoreth I Kings 11:05 Canaanite Goddess.

Baal I Kings 18:19 Canaanite God ("Lord") of fertility, vegitation, and storms.

Baal-berith Judges 8:33 A regional variation/aspect of Baal.

Baal-peor Numbers 25:03 Moabite regional variation/aspect of Baal.

Baal-zebub Luke 11:19 Philistine/Ekronian regional variation/aspect of Baal.

Baalim I Kings 18:18 Canaanite Gods ("Lords"), a collective of the different
aspects of Baa.

Bel Isiah 46:01 Assyrian/Babylonian/Sumerian God("Lord").

Chemosh I Kings 11:07 Moabite war God.

Dagon I Samuel 05:02 Philistine/Ekronian/Babylonian God of agriculture.

Diana of the Ephesians Acts 19:35 Ephesian moon and nature Goddess
("Divine/Brilliant").

Jehovah Exodus 6:03 Hebrew God

Jupiter Acts 14:12 Roman God (possibly derived from 'Zeus-pater', Father Zeus).

Lucifer Isiah 14:12 ("Light-Bearer") (Probably an ET)

Mercurius Acts 14:12 Otherwise known as the Roman God

Mercury, God of communication and travel, and messenger of the Gods...which is probably why Paul was called this at Lystra.

Milcom I Kings 11:05 Ammonite God

Molech I Kings 11:07 Ammonite God, also called Moloch, most probably Baal-Hammon of Carthage. (Owl God worshiped by Masons)

Nebo Isiah 46:01 Assyrian/Babylonian/Chaldean God of wisdom and writing, also called Nabu.

Nergal II Kings 17:30 Cuth/Assyrian/Babylonian war and underworld God, also called Meshlamthea.

Nibhaz II Kings 17:31 Avites God

Nisroch II Kings 19:37 Assyrian God

Rimmon II Kings 05:18 Babylonian/Syrian storm God involved (as Ramman) with the Deluge, according to Hebrew texts; also known as Ramman/Rammon.

Succoth-benoth II Kings 17:30 Babylonian fertility Goddess ("She Who Produces Seed"), also known as Zarpanitu/Zerpanitum.

Tammuz Ezekial 8:14 Assyrian/Babylonian God

Tartak II Kings 17:31 Avites God

(Note: These are only the Gods mentioned in the Bible, there are many more "Older Gods and Goddesses, do you think they just went away?)

That being said, the Godman Jesus is in fact dead.
Titanic find: 'Christ's coffin'

Discovery Channel Video

And the Piso Family of Rome wrote the entire New Testament, and made up the Godman Jesus.

The True Authorship of the New Testament

ROMAN PISO FAMILY WROTE THE NEW TESTAMENT, INVENTED "JESUS"

'THE PISO FAMILY IN THE NEW TESTAMENT'

So, dear Christian Jesus is God person: You raise a false God before your real God. Isn't that one of the 10 Commandments?

I read the Bible years ago, along with several "other Bibles," such as The Apocrypha, the 6th and 7th Book of Moses, The Book of Mary, Story of Adam and Eve, and the Epic, not to mention may so called "occult books." I have yet to meet just one Christian, minister or otherwise, who has even read the Bible. Have you?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I dont even know what your saying anymore. Christians pray to GOD! Not saints, they ask saints to pray to God for them. There is an obvious difference between God and saints. stop making yourself sound stupid with nonsense.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Yeah, I tend to wonder myself sometimes, things can sound pretty silly. With ATS, you're not always sure if someone is just yanking chains. On the other hand, I imagine there are a whole lot of people out there who do have "questions" (maybe even dumb ones), and where would they turn, or who would they ask to get answers? I can almost see someone thinking that ATS could help, after all, you probably can find a million answers here, on every subject.

Although, I tend to think that throwing that Satan thing in the ring does look a little like some chain yanking going on.

Well OP, you might get more than you bargained for on this thread!

JR

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Growing up Catholic and attending 12 years of Catholic education, I've been able to retain what I can remember of some of the basic tenants of Catholicism.

- First, the only god is God who is the Holy Trinity. God the Father, God the Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit are all one in the same. Jesus was God in human form born into being by the immaculate conception of Mary.

- Mary, while isn't a god on the same level of God, is highly revered in Catholicism (the majority of by Irish Catholics- my peoples
) because she is the mother of God in God's human form, Jesus. As a Catholic you pray to Mary so she can "advocate" for us to God. I've known Catholic orders who don't revere Mary in the same way other orders do.

- As for the Saints, Catholics pray to the different Saints not as gods themselves but as figures of guidance in their respective fields of concern. They also, like Mary, advocate for us to God.

The entire thing is akin to gearing people up to following a chain-of-command of important people but the final and only decisions come from the Holy Trinity (all forms of God). But that really only applies to Catholicism and not the rest of Christianity as the logic goes: "All Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic."

The separation that Catholicism has to a polytheistic faith is that Mary and the Saints, while they may look, act and quack like gods, don't have the same interactions between each other as divine beings as other pantheons of gods do. There aren't any stories of St. Patrick warring against St. Francis of Assisi like the Greek or Egyptian gods did each other. But that does sound like an awesome story.

Haven't been to church in years and I find it staggering that I can still recall the info.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I was fully in agreement with you till you said:

Why make Muhamed a god too? These prophets and messiahs are given god status when they should just be regarded as great teachers. Discuss

Muslims in no way worship Muhammad. It is forbidden to pray to him, and forbidden for anyone, including Muslims, to make a portrait of him. Muhammad forbid anyone to make an image of him to avoid being worshipped.

Muslims ONLY pray to Allah. Except Shia/Shi'ite Muslims... they pray to saints and the deceased.
Allah is simply the Arabic word for the God of Abraham. Even the Arabic translations of the Holy Bible use the word "Allah."

And those suicide bombers yell out, "Allahu Akbar," which means "God is Great."

What's your proof/argument that Muslims worship Muhammad?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

And you should read your Bible before you post something as stupid as this. (paraphrasing here)

The Bible says clearly that there is only one God. When the Bible says that God is one, the word one does not refer to a "God Group", but to one God. Consider a few passages in the Old Testament.

There is only one God. The Doctrine of the Trinity is apparently beyond you, but if you study it, you will understand why a Christian can say that the Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Spirit is God, but one is not the other, and there is only one God.

The remainder of your post ("Jesus' Coffin Found!" -- do you write headlines for the National Enquirer?
) is old conspiracy theories, long since debunked by actual scholars. Using bad science (and bad history) to back up your arguments undermines what you say, it doesn't validate it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I was taught that Christianity is a monotheistic religion.
Another case where the saying applies, "Everything I was taught was wrong." There is no such thing as monotheism and it is a manufactured concept made up by the Jews for people to not believe that Jesus is the Messiah. The Jews understand that being the Son of God makes that person a god. Secretly now, they understand it, but publicly deny it, that is until they find someone who will be their new Messiah, which true Christians will recognise as the devil.

Edit to add note: if you look up the etymology of the word, monotheism, you find that though it seems to be made from Greek words, it is not an old word but was created around the year 1660, a nice time when the Illuminati were in their heyday.

edit on 22-11-2010 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

The Bible says clearly that there is only one God.
There is only one god who is God.
Jesus said, "Why do you call me good when there is only one who is good?" The temple had a part called The Holy Place. There is another place in the temple called The Most Holy Place. Why would there be a most holy place when there was already a holy place? In the same way, though Jesus was a god, there was another who was the God. There has to be something like that because God is unknowable. The limit of our comprehension of God is that we can know that there is a God. Jesus makes it clear that that God is unique and there is none other like Him.
edit on 23-11-2010 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

So, dear Christian Jesus is God person: You raise a false God before your real God. Isn't that one of the 10 Commandments?

You believe that there is one God. The demons also believe that, and tremble with fear.-Jas2.18

Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods”’? If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?-John10.34

the law was put into effect by angels-Acts7, Gal3

Gentiles, were not given the law-Romans2.14

For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.-Heb7.12

And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect.-Galatians3.17

to which of the angels did He ever say: “ You are My Son-Hebrews1

Kiss the Son.. Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him.-Psalm2.12

Who has ascended into heaven, or descended?
Who has gathered the wind in His fists?
Who has bound the waters in a garment?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is His name, and what is His Son’s name,
If you know?-Prov30.4

“ I was watching in the night visions,
And behold, One like the Son of Man,
Coming with the clouds of heaven!
He came to the Ancient of Days,
And they brought Him near before Him.
Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom,
That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion,
Which shall not pass away,
And His kingdom the one
Which shall not be destroyed.-Daniel7.13

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.-Matt28.18

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.-John14.6

who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.-1Pet3.22

Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
-1John2.22

Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above)-
edit on 23-11-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Just because I am not a theologian does not mean I am stupid. Well, I am a little stupid. I am enjoying the educated responses and ask that the ignorant make no further attempt to drive me away from Christanity with so much hate. If you wonder why church attendance is down, look inward.
I think I will read the bible again and find that Christianity has been perverted. I think Jesus insisted that he was son of man, not god. He did not want us worshipping him, just his words. I will look toward all the great teachings with a grain of salt. Please don't be angry if I am not a polytheist become a multideist, or is it polydeist, well a multiple religion guy.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
I was fully in agreement with you till you said:

Why make Muhamed a god too? These prophets and messiahs are given god status when they should just be regarded as great teachers. Discuss

What's your proof/argument that Muslims worship Muhammad?

Sorry, my education in Islam is lacking. Someone noted that Muslims believe in angels. I never knew that. There ya go, more supernatural beings. I think if these religions had fewer gods, or god divided into parts, religion would be more appealing to the masses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join