It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skating with the Stars (doomed from the get-go?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
How soon will this take to be axed?
I'm guessing pretty quick....

There are only two "stars" in the grouping...that you've ever even heard of. Sean Young, and Vince Neil

The rest are ???

Another network tried this before too (Skating with Celebrities), but it too tanked (and they had more big names, as I recall)....

If there are decent judges, some hot pros....could work...but I doubt even that will allow this to even run for the whole competition. What do you think?

edit on 22-11-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Skating is way too hard for an 8 week period to show much improvement. I think that will probably be an issue in that everyone dances, very few people skate.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Good point. They did pretty good with the judges though...Johnny Weir is pretty much Bruno, the old guy "Dick" is pretty much Lynn, and the butch chick is Carrie Ann....

Weir might bring in an audience....and the skaters they picked are attractive, but even if it makes it, it won't be near the hit Dancing is. The host is a bad choice though. He's like Prince William with some kind of bug eye disorder...who REALLY overacts his announcing gig. (and seems to have a real wish to see the stars injure themselves)....

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Get some older and recently retired hockey players like Bill Guerin or something to get out there with these some beautiful figure skaters and there might be something there. Obviously, it couldn't JUST be hockey players, there would probably need to be some amateur female skaters being taught by male figure skaters but honestly, if they got some old hockey players...

Well, I don't know. If it has already been done and went belly up then I guess unless the viewer's interests have changed, there won't be much of a chance for it. Unless you're in Canada, in which I hear they already have a show like that and it's ranked extremely high in the ratings. Go figure!
Go Canada! (...and hockey!)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I can't believe ppl watch these "with the stars" shows, but I guess I can, it's typical of TV for the past decade.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I dont watch the doing whatever with the stars shows.. and I dont think I can handle people being obsessed in every conversation with another one!
I dont care about "stars" and I really dont get why other people do.. but when I get roped into a convo with friends/family and that subject comes up I kid of feel an urge to puke. If anyone brings it up at thanksgiving their getting the butthole area of the turkey.

Get rid of the doing crap with the stars shows and get more zombie/dystopian movies on. Walking dead in prime time and Southpark as dessert sounds good to me.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Just as every meal doesn't have to be steak and caviar....every TV show one watches doesn't have to be some monumental comment on the human condition. A little cheese now and then is perfectly fine. It's amazing how many like to always say such things are "beneath them" and hold their nose up in the air...while they secretly sit back and laugh at America's Funniest Home Videos, or Cheaters, but then never admit it...

Yet, "Dancing with the Stars" is ranked as the number one and three show each week...(for both nights). Go figure. SOMEBODY is watching....

It isn't about the "stars"...most are "has-beens". It's the classic fish out of water angle. We like to see people we recognize in completely different elements (and let's face it, we like to see those who've had success fail), and personally, the pro's (at least in Dancing) are gorgeous. I'm not too impressed with this skating version though, and it will likely tank just like Fox's attempt at it did.

I watch more History, Discovery, and Learning Channel shows than probably anyone I know, and enjoy more cerebral shows like Fringe, The Event, LOST (when it was on), and many others that most people feel "safe" in admitting they watch....but I like my cheese too, and make no apologies for it...

(and yep, Walking Dead and South Park are two of my favorites...did you see the Cthulu episodes recently? Hysterical...)
edit on 24-11-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Wow.......more originality from Hollywood.

Peace

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is interesting because the UK version of the show has been steadily popular over the past few years. My girlfriend watches it religiously and I have to say although the format kind of annoys me some of the 'stars' make some incredible progress in a very short period of time. Here's one example the 'star' is the man here;

Bit of Starship Oh Yeah!
edit on 28-11-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: Starship!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Why I never watch any celebrity "reality" type show.

[color=FBB117
]Celebrity on said show = celebrity with little talent in need of a job.

edit on 28-11-2010 by Sanity Lost because: Because editing is fun.

new topics

top topics

join