It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Match Blast/ One Handed Fire Starter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
ep.yimg.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Heres something I found when I was thinking about how I would start a fire with one hand, out of 10 stars, I give it a 15

Heres a website I found it on.

www.basegear.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

Thats a cool thing, although I can't really believe that it "never" runs out of fuel.
Surely the sparks are produced by scrapping some chemicals together (like flint) and it will eventually get worn down to nothing if you use it enough? The sparks have to come form somewhere right?

Or is that not how it works

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Its a housing that holds a 4-5" flint rod and a metal striker press on the side, spring loaded. Im sure the flint will wear down, Im just not sure how long it will take. Im thinking alot will have to do with the presure used each time you stike the match. Im sure it will wear out over a long period of time.
The tighter the grip, the larger the sparks, they were so cheap I bought 4 of them, I found them at a local sporting good store for $14.00

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

I have a couple of very old lighters (1910-1920) that work in a similar way but the striker also has a wick with petrol behind it to keep a flame.

They're called striker lighters, both of them I have though have the flint strip missing and I can't find replacements
edit on 21-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

WOW , Ive seen those types before, if Im not mistaken, alot of miners used those types. Might be worth looking into and seeing if someone could fab some new flint stones cheap for you. Maybe check your local smoke shop and see what they have???

top topics

join