It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War On Alternative Viewpoints

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Perhaps you should try to understand it from the viewpoint of those across from you in the divide as maybe perhaps having a honest and maybe even valid viewpoint instead of pidgeon holing them into "sheeple" or "agents".

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

What's funny is I have not used either of those words once in this thread. Yet, they keep getting attributed to me for some strange reason. Would you agree with the assertion that there are people on ATS that visit certain threads with the intention of disrupting the flow of the topic and who are not really concerned with the content of the opening post?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Nice attempt at a dodge. Now, do you plan on addressing the my argument or attacking me on semantic grounds?

And while we are on the topic, do you often take the word of a doctor or a co-worker on health questions?
edit on 25-11-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

ATS doesn't seem to encourage transparency. I see more and more threads chock full of spelling errors, one-line posts and other tomfoolery.

It seems like a large portion of new users have "crossed over" from another conspiracy site to bring their hijinks to ATS.

Also, how do we know who's telling the truth? What if a government is telling the truth on something?

That's the problem on this site. We do not know. We can only speculate.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

If your argument is that I am just labelling those who disagree with me (using the tags you mentioned) then I disagree. I have stated in the opening paragraph this is not the case and in subsequent replies. I have been on both sides and I am usually in the middle range in regards to most issues. I can compromise my position because I know I do not have all the answers and I am prone to error when making judgements. This does not take away from the obvious fact that certain members on this forum do what I stated before. There is a difference between open-mindedness and nativity when it comes to certain discussions.

In terms of general health issues I would be more willing to approach my doctor. However, I have known people throughout the years - who happened to be my colleagues - who have given me good advice on a range or topics, sometimes better or more effective than any doctor has. Any reason for asking this question?
edit on 25/11/2010 by Dark Ghost because: grammar

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Great thread s & f !!!

ATS is quickly turning into a very narrow minded site. A dictatorship on what can be possible and what is not.
A hazard to free thought...

I know you know

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

As the user base continues to grow, so does the influx of people with differing levels of proficiency in the English language. I agree the overall quality of spelling and grammar for the average thread has declined. The thing to remember is not everybody who visits here has had the same level of education and experience in academic fields; English is a 2nd/3rd language for some members; and some people simply feel that punctuation and grammar are not important aspects in the overall context of their posts.

You are right that we don't know who is telling the truth. The Government could be telling the truth on a range of issues, but there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt that they have also lied, mislead or covered-up aspects of events and issues over the years too. That is why we should use our brains and consider whether they are or are not telling the truth on certain issues. It seems like many tend to view the Government's position as correct and truthful when this is not always the case.

Speculation is healthy. Speculation that distracts from the broader issue is counter-productive, though.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I too tend to be the open minded fool stuck in the middle, but i think why people keep putting words like "sheeple" into your mouth is that for example when commenting on my example you mentioned how the neuroscientist could be wrong, simply assuming that the masses would accept that the psychic could be wrong. It is small things like that that end up hinting at you leaning towards one side of the argument.

As to how you argue with them if they understand near zero of what you are discussing is by slowly teaching them the most basics, and building up from that. Perhaps you allow them to teach you the basics of the black magistry behind computer programing as well. That is what having an open mind is all about. It tends to be easier for me, because I am open to learning new systems and beliefs, but in truth when one closely examines any argument one can still find truth from which to learn. For example if we say that in the US "blacks are stupid because there are more of them in prison" than we remove the opinion, we can derive the fact that there is a higher ratio of blacks in US prisons than there is of whites (i'm speaking proportional to the total of each), and thus we have learned something (given that some things may be more interesting to learn through less offensive remarks...)

As to the spelling thing, all i can say is sorry for that, i'm dyslexic XD.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

The more you post in this thread, the more you are making yourself look like an immature fool. If you take pride in that, then congratulations...

I want to thank you, phatpackage, and chiponbothshoulders - both of you have confirmed that what was written in the OP carries at least some truth. What a shame that a thread with potential had to be ruined by the fishing lines of trolls hell-bent on destroying a thread that threatens their favourite pastime.
edit on 2/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Actually I think phat was trying to make a productive comment or two, it is just that since he was making the point that other people are entering some threads just to spam remarks like "this is all a lie, we all know the government is lying to you all, when will you sheeple get it?" or the such, and that that can be just as offensive as "geese Suzie, YOUR MENTAL, NOT PSYCHIC." this isn't your calling him an immature fool for saying that demonstration the problem at hand more fully? Well I hope that now that you realize this you will become more careful of the such.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join