It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biotech company secretly releases millions of GM mosquitoes in Cayman Islands

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Biotech company secretly releases millions of GM mosquitoes in Cayman Islands

www.naturalnews.com

Scientists at British biotechnology giant Oxitec recently developed a genetically-modified (GM) mosquito that, apart from a specific chemical antibiotic, is unable to successfully repopulate. And the company recently released millions of these GM mosquitoes in the Cayman Islands to see what would happen -- and they did so without proper approval or announcement

claiming its GM mosquitoes may help fight the spread of dengue fever by reducing or eliminating the wild mosquito population
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
G.M.I Genetically Modified Insects (Invasion of the Warrior Insects)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
But there's more to come?

The release of three million sterile GM mosquitoes on the Caribbean island of Grand Cayman will be followed by about five similar trials around the world over the next year

www.ft.com...

Five similar trials where?
And they are calling it trials but the lab is the real world outside where people live.
Who knows what will happen when these bugs interact with other animals there?

So how exactly does this work?

The technology comes from Oxitec, a spin-out company from Oxford University, which inserts a “dominant lethal gene” into insects. This enables males to produce viable sperm and fertilise females, but the resulting larvae always die before hatching. The idea is to release vast numbers of sterile male insects – at least 10 times more than the wild population. They swamp the native males and mate with all available females, which fail to produce viable offspring.

www.ft.com...

Ok so keeping in mind that male mosquitoes cannot bite that doesn't mean that a mosquito can't land in your drink before you drink it or you don't swat a mosquito and a tiny piece of blood enters your pore.

Also what about when the female mosquito mates with the male mosquito and then the female mosquito pricks you?

Where else will this be introduced?
Well they are hoping in Malaysia and

Authorities in Florida, Brazil and Panama are also considering using the method, according to Oxitec

www.earthweek.com...

Where does this money come from?

program, funded by a $19.7 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Oxitec has received $5 million from the Gates program, but the Grand Cayman trial is not part of that. "As a private company, they can push their own agenda,"

news.sciencemag.org...

The Gates Foundation?

Here is a promotional video on youtube

Thoughts?

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-11-2010 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'm sure it is some sort of population control tactic, and not for the mosquitoes. It is funded by Gates, and isn't he all for reducing the world's population?

I do not trust it one bit. They are being sneaky about it, and their science doesn't mash with me.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My concern is that when you mess with Mother Nature, there are certainly unintended consequences. Man has a nasty habit of only considering the immediate consequences.

What about mosquitoes in the food chain? Dragonflies, for example, thrive off of mosquitoes as I'm sure do other insects. What will happen when we disturb the balance? No one knows and I'm sure they couldn't give a damn as long as the immediate $$ are there.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
They must really stop experimenting with unknown environmental affects. Mosquitoes are already a concern. Bio-engineered mosquitoes? Wow, maybe they should create a house fly that refuses to come in the house. We already have a missing honey bee population problem and it’s likely another experiment gone bad. These things have a cause and effect. If they botched up again we won’t hear about it.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Exactly, when birds eat these male mosquitos will that GM crap effect their reproduction also.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
How does a person figure out the lesser of the evils? I hope this works out OK, it's impossible to know.

Something has to be done, for sure. Problem is: what?

We are more overrun with more mosquitoes this last year, than I've ever seen before. There has been billions of them. They've also gotten larger and very aggressive. They're in puddles that melt on the warmer days, its already been -10 celcius, then warmed up, and there are mosquitoes. It's -24 (celcius) this morning, and I went into the basement to plasticize windows, and found live mosquitoes, in the holes that contain the sump pumps (high water table). :shk: Last year, the temperatures went down to around -40 celcius, and it didn't kill them. They were there the moment the snow started to thaw, flying around above the remaining snow

Spraying the mosquitoes also harms the bird population. Probably frogs and other beneficial bugs too. I'd rather NOT do that.
I would rather they brought in massive amounts of bats, frogs and dragonflies.

Bats, dragonflies, and frogs are mosquito eaters. I wouldn't mind seeing way more of them. This year, for some reason, the frog population was way down.
I'm usually stepping on them in the summer; a couple of years ago, the whole yard was moving. Hardly any this year.

Dragonflies are nice looking, and harmless to humans, I wonder what would happen if they found a way to introduce more of them in the environment?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Stop. Playing. God.

End of story.

It is not our decision nor our right to manipulate other living creatures in any way whatsoever. Yeah, I'm guilty of swatting a mosquito or stepping on a spider here and there, but the difference is, my wrong doesn't affect the balance of the food chain. Reducing populations on a wide-scale by releasing millions of genetically modified mosquitoes DOES affect the balance of the food chain and WILL come back to bite us in the ass (yes, pun intended).

One of the many things that we as a species have failed to learn is that you DO NOT mess with Nature. She has quite a nasty way of showing living things just who is still running the show.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Our science is already discovering that some of what humans consider food we are not adapted to, we did not really know how the proteins, lectins, and more affected us, and now that our culture is exponentially consuming more of it (e.g. wheat), it's gradually killing off our population from the inside. (Slowly and profitably, though.)

Now we can start at the bottom of the food chain, create something we really have NO idea how the bodies of its many predators will respond to this new manmade composite (or their predators in turn), and "just see what happens."

Sometimes when I hear the offbeat stories about the alleged future of mankind and the non-reproductive Greys, trying to come back in time for unaffected genetic material, I ask myself, "If that crazy story were true, what on earth could cause that kind of unintended consequence?" News stories like these give me some ideas.

RC
edit on 20-11-2010 by RedCairo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I guess we just wait and see what all they are going to do to us. Prison Earth.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

S&F

Reason:

Well researched.

Related to this topic:

IMO Haiti is also a testing ground for such activities, that is the reason behind recent riots I suspect.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
There will be some natural but negative repercussion to this experiment, there always is.

Australia, amongst other countries, is absolutely reeling from the cane toad population after it was introduced as a means of pest control.
en.wikipedia.org...

Cane toads were introduced to Australia from Hawaii in June 1935 by the Bureau of Sugar Experiment Stations in an attempt to control the native cane beetle (Dermolepida albohirtum). They bred immediately in captivity, and by August 1935 more than 102 young toads were released in areas around Cairns, Gordonvale and Innisfail in northern Queensland. More toads were released around Ingham, Ayr, Mackay and Bundaberg. Releases were temporarily limited because of environmental concerns but resumed in other areas after September 1936. Since their release, toads have rapidly multiplied in population and now number over 200 million and have been known to spread diseases affecting local biodiversity.[1] The toads have steadily expanded their range through Queensland, reaching the border with New South Wales in 1978 and the Northern Territory in 1984. The toads on the western frontier of their advance have evolved larger legs;[2] this is thought to be related to their ability to travel farther. As a consequence of their longer legs, larger bodies, and faster movement, about 10% of the leading edge cane toads have also developed arthritis.[3] It is estimated that cane toads migrate at an average of 40 kilometres (25 mi) per year.[4]

Mere humans will NEVER do a better job than Mother Nature.

The 'clever' people aint so clever.
edit on 20-11-2010 by doobydoll because: spelling - my pet peev so had to correct it.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

the problem with the whole scenario is that the dengue fever spreading mosquito (Aedes aegypti) only lives around the house and do not breed in swamps, they prefer to breed around people in containers like pot plant bases and old tyres etc.....
the easiest way to fight dengue fever is to actually clean up around your own neighbourhood and remove anything that collects water, far cheaper than funding GM mosquitoes

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Heads up, universities really like to mess up a good thing sometimes.

Testing via Mosquito Vector in Punta Gorda, Florida

A report from The New England Journal of Medicine reveals that one of the first outbreaks of chronic fatigue syndrome was in Punta Gorda, Florida, back in 1957.(10) It was a strange coincidence that a week before these people came down with chronic fatigue syndrome, there was a huge influx of mosquitoes.

The National Institutes of Health claimed that the mosquitoes came from a forest fire 30 miles away. The truth is that those mosquitoes were infected in Canada by Dr Guilford B. Reed at Queen’s University. They were bred in Belleville, Ontario, and taken down to Punta Gorda and released there.

Within a week, the first five cases ever of chronic fatigue syndrome were reported to the local clinic in Punta Gorda. The cases kept coming until finally 450 people were ill with the disease.

Testing via Mosquito Vector in Ontario

The Government of Canada had established the Dominion Parasite Laboratory in Belleville, Ontario, where it raised 100 million mosquitoes a month. These were shipped to Queen’s University and certain other facilities to be infected with this crystalline disease agent The mosquitoes were then let loose in certain communities in the middle of the night, so that the researchers could determine how many people would become ill with chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia, which was the first disease to show.

One of the communities they tested it on was the St Lawrence Seaway valley, all the way from Kingston to Cornwall, in 1984. They let out hundreds of millions of infected mosquitoes. Over 700 people in the next four or five weeks developed myalgic encephalomyelitis, or chronic fatigue syndrome.

MYCOPLASMA
The Linking Pathogen in Neurosystemic Diseases

www.whale.to...
includes all sources

Bill Gates Funds Research Into ‘Flying Syringe’ Mosquitos to
Deliver Vaccines

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awarded 100,000 dollars each on
Wednesday to scientists in 22 countries including funding for a Japanese proposal to turn
mosquitos into “flying syringes” delivering vaccines.

The charitable foundation created by the founder of software giant Microsoft said in a
statement that the grants were designed to “explore bold and largely unproven ways to
improve global health.”

www.scribd.com...

Related reading: timeline on Mycoplasma
Chapter Excerpt from "State Origin: The Evidence of the Laboratory Birth of AIDS"
by Boyd E. Graves, J.D.

The true history of the origin of AIDS can be traced throughout the 20th Century and back to 1878. On April 29 of that year the United States passed a "FEDERAL QUARANTINE ACT".

Scroll about a third down the page to a post titled :

more: vaccines as killer vector, and KNOWLEDGABLE EUGENIC vector

publish.portland.indymedia.org...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden
Bill Gates Funds Research Into ‘Flying Syringe’ Mosquitos to
Deliver Vaccines

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awarded 100,000 dollars each on
Wednesday to scientists in 22 countries including funding for a Japanese proposal to turn
mosquitos into “flying syringes” delivering vaccines.

The charitable foundation created by the founder of software giant Microsoft said in a
statement that the grants were designed to “explore bold and largely unproven ways to
improve global health.”

www.scribd.com...

I think that's what this is really about.

After so many people rejected the swine flu vaccine, they have gone to a plan B.

Since the addition of fluoride to water is, at the least, mass medication without consent it's easy to see what's going on here.

Bill Gates received an honorary knighthood because he's a team player...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
That's what I was thinking too, after reviewing that syringe funding agreement. It's good to hear the confirmation on this one. The actual mission is unclear, but highly suspect.

Reading that timeline shows a terrible underbelly working against Africans, and the Gates foundation is on a huge push to market Malaria vaccines there now; I'd read up on Mycoplasma back around last new year.

"Philanthrocapitalism" ... yeah, right

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I remember when using mosquitoes to do one's bidding was something that Saddam Hussein was pioneering
I remember, during the very beggining of the invasion of iraq, when they found manuals on how to control mosquitoes in iraqi labs while looking for WMDs.

I wonder if, just as operation paperclip when the u.s. brought nazi scientists here, these manuals are still in use.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
didn't we learn anything from DDT , cane toads and the like? dont take on mother nature, she always wins.
will be interesting to see the results though.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
well say goodbye to your bird population, amphibians etc and the watch the chain collapse. if this is really happeneing its super irresponsible and someone should be held accountable for the outcome

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Your title says "secretly" released. I thought it was supposed to
be a secret. How was it secretly done? You somehow know about
this, so why do you say secretly? Just curious.....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join