It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Americans 'reached Europe five centuries before Columbus voyages!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
My friends of ATS,

I found this article most interesting. If true, one wonders what secrets are really being kept from us.

Scientists tracing the genetic origins of an Icelandic family believe the first American arrived in Europe around the 10th century, a full five hundred years before Columbus set off on his first voyage of discovery in 1492.

Norse sagas suggest the Vikings discovered the Americas centuries before Columbus and the latest data seems to support the hypothesis that they may have brought American Indians back with them to northern Europe.

Research indicates that a woman from the North American continent probably arrived in Iceland some time around 1000AD leaving behind genes that are reflected in about 80 Icelanders today.

Full Story Here

Most interesting indeed

Be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is intersesting because it was put out by a Spanish team. I feel that it adds a bit more credability coming from a Spanish team since it was the crown of Spain that financed Columbus' journies.

always interesting to read 'new' history.

I am interested to know though, does anyone know if any 'new' history is taught in any schools?
When I was a kid we learned all about Columbus but nothing about the Vikings or Thunder Bay.
My kid hasnt quite reached that age yet.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I was in big dispute with my friend few years ago when he said: "Jews discovered America!" It turned out to fact that Spanish Jews financed Columbus voyage (nothing sinister behind it, normal way of financing of royal adventures in that times). But I looked more in the issue and I realized that only honest sentence about Columbus and discovery of America is this: "Columbus discovered America for MODERN Europe." Many other nations (China for example) discovered America before Columbus. There were contacts between Europe and America before Columbus also - and probably not only Vikings. I'll not present any links or other arguments because this dispute is closed for me now and I do not want to read so many pages again.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

First Americans 'reached Europe five centuries before Columbus voyages

Being of Native American descent I'll have to disagree with that claim. The REAL First Americans arrived here between 15,000 to 30,000 BC

Here is some lite reading on the topic.

Ancient America Rocked
Olmec Giant Stone Heads Mystery Solved

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Spiro

First Americans 'reached Europe five centuries before Columbus voyages

Being of Native American descent I'll have to disagree with that claim. The REAL First Americans arrived here between 15,000 to 30,000 BC

Amen, Slayer! Now it is the exact form of that arrival that remains in flux, but we're way past that 12.5kya paradigm now. As to the Norse...that's a gimme. I've been to the site myself, L'ans aux Meadows, Newfoundland. I'm just amazed at how many people are still stumbling across the concept.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I've never had an issues with the Norsemen claiming the historically accurate journey to the new world or possibly the [ Chinese]
or any other group in prehistory arriving here but for anyone group to claim being first while ignoring the indigenous Americans just seems more of the same of ignorant arrogance against those who came first.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

My kids are in elementary school and they spent as much time on the Vikings as they did on Columbus. I was pl;easantly surprised. They also spent a lot of time on native cultures, both in North America and the South Pacific before they got in to what is generally thought of as Western Civ. I'm not sure if that is typical or not

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zeddissad2

Guess who financed the slave trade which commenced immediately upon columbasses arrival.

Columbus was accompanied by five 'maranos' (Jews who had foresworn their religion and supposedly became Catholics), Luis de Torres, interpreter, Marco, the surgeon, Bemal, the physician, Alonzo de la Calle and Gabriel Sanchez (1).
Gabriel Sanchez, abetted by the other four Jews, sold Columbus on the idea of capturing 500 Indians and selling them as slaves in Seville, Spain, which was done. Columbus did not receive any of the money from the sale of the slaves, but he became the victim of a conspiracy fostered by Bemal, the ship's doctor. He, Columbus, suffered injustice and imprisonment as his reward. Betrayed by the five maranos (Jews) whom he had trusted and helped. This, ironically, was the beginning of slavery in the Americas (2).
The Jews were expelled from Spain on August 2, 1492, and from Portugal in 1497. Many of these Jews emigrated to Holland, where they set up the Dutch West Indies Company to exploit the new world

www.iamthewitness.com...

PS we have reconstucted Viking villages in Canada so the Spanish are a little late.

edit on 20-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I've never had an issues with the Norsemen claiming the historically accurate journey to the new world or possibly the [ Chinese]
or any other group in prehistory arriving here but for anyone group to claim being first while ignoring the indigenous Americans just seems more of the same of ignorant arrogance against those who came first.

I feel that you are also responding to my post. I'm sorry I did not make this clear before but by "discovery" I mean discovery by some entity external to American continent AND indigenous Americans. Term "America" can not be thought without "native" peoples - at least in my mind.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I cant agree with you more here. Obviously the first inhabitants had come long long before any European (or Chinese). I am not by any means of Native American descent, but have always felt a closeness to their way of life. In fact my grandmother was the first of her family to actually be born in the US, so I am not that far from my English/Scottish heritage.

I am glad to hear in the other response that more tim is being spent in elementary schools teaching about the Norse/Viking contact with the American Continent than 20 years ago when I was there.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Isn't the current theory that today's indigenous Americans are descended from the last wave of migration, primarily?

My guess is that every time the New World has been "discovered," the result has been death for the people already there.

Except, of course, for the very first, whoever they were.

Harte

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think you missed the point,

What they are saying is that around 1,000 AD, the norse, brought a native american woman back to iceland, from North america, and her genes are present in the modern icelandic population. And that this woman might have subsequently traveled to scandanavia.

So the first american to travel to europe was 500 years before columbus sailed.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Isn't the current theory that today's indigenous Americans are descended from the last wave of migration, primarily?

Still working my way through what seems to be the latest word...Meltzer's First Peoples in a New World: Colonizing ice age America...and he would seem to be building a case that indicates otherwise. It's a fairly dense read even though it's meant for a lay audience but I recommend it. Let you know when I'm through.
edit on 20-11-2010 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiro
I found this article most interesting. If true, one wonders what secrets are really being kept from us.

Nothing, actually.

We don't have the bodies of every single humanoid that ever lived. The discovery of these bodies was announced a few years back (but no one except us archaeology geeks noticed) and they've just now got enough evidence to say that Native Americans did go to Europe through marriage or slavery. The numbers weren't very high, and they had to separate out the genetic material to make sure that they had "real Native Americans" and not members of the Sami ethnic groups.

Science is all about discovery. We don't have all the information -- much of it hasn't been dug up and a lot of it has been destroyed/decayed by nature over time. So "what we know" is a continuous journey of discovery.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Not really. There's LOTS of tribes, including isolates (the Chumash, famously, are one such.) South Americans arrived as early as 20,000-30,000 BC. The Puebloans are recent arrivals, yes.

My guess is that every time the New World has been "discovered," the result has been death for the people already there.

Only locally. Not continentally. The landing of the Spaniards changed the fates of the people of Central America but did not directly impact the Mound Builders, the Iroquois, the Salish, the Tlingit, the Fox, the Sioux... etc, etc.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

only the navajo and thier athabaskan speaking related tribes, the apache, are new comers the hopi, zuni and such are decended from the prehistoric pueblo peoples.

The chumash are definately descended from the first people to way down the west coast of NA, and likely from the group of people who settled the oceanic side the the channel islands 12k years ago.

What I find intriguing is the possiblility of contact between the the polynesians,(hawaiians) and the chumash or at least a hawaiin canoe washing up in southern california.

Along the lines of isolate tribes, there is the now extinct tribe of tierra del fuegans, whos only genetetic relatives are an isolated(also now almost extinct) tribe in Baja.
And recently in the same area of baja the oldest know human structures in NA have been found, very primative rock structures, huts/walls.
When I was in baja on a off road motorcycle trip, in a very remote canyon near the coast, we found a set of very primative rock walls, walling in small caves in the cliff face. I now wonder if those a representative of the same very old shelters recently found.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by youdidntseeme

My kids are in elementary school and they spent as much time on the Vikings as they did on Columbus. I was pl;easantly surprised. ...

My daughter learned about the Norse getting to North America before Columbus, too (to Newfoundland around 1000 AD).

I'm pretty sure schools have been teaching this for a few years now.

edit on 11/28/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Well that certainly is good news. I already try to teach my son about some 'real' history and not just what I know he will already learn in school.

I guess this is something I can work on as well and then the school can back it up too!

new topics

top topics

join