It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Internet Censorship Law got passed fully.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is the proper area for this particular topic, so if it has to be moved, please do so.

The Bill giving the US government blanket powers to censor the internet worldwide just passed both the House and the Senate by a landslide. The President still has to sign it as well, and he was one of the main supporters of it from the get-go.

The bill is aimed at piracy and copyright violators. However, as taken from Antipiracy DNS (link immediately below the quote here):

"Additionally, a group of law professors, who have been rallying against COICA since it originated, drafted another letter in opposition of the bill this week. Signed by over 50 professors from some of the most prominent law schools in the United States and around the world, the letter outlines why the bill would be unconstitutional if passed into law:

The Act, if enacted into law, will not survive judicial scrutiny, and will, therefore, never be used to address the problem (online copyright and trademark infringement) that it is designed to address. Its significance, therefore, is entirely symbolic – and the symbolism it presents is ugly and insidious… Even more significant and more troubling, the Act represents a retreat from the United States’ historical position as a bulwark and beacon against censorship and other threats to freedom of expression, freedom of thought, and the free exchange of information and ideas around the globe."

This is where it passed the Senate Judiciary Committee
www.myce.com...

And here is the info on the censorship Bill itself:

demandprogress.org...

Basically, the net is being censored. Certain sites will be blacklisted (YouTube and p2p sites for example) if this fully passes.

I can understand the need for all of the software distribution going on through torrent sites et al from the governments pov, but when you go really into it all, is this just another format of turning the USA et al into the same Internet control as they have in North Korea and/or China. To me, that is just frightening. What do you all think?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

link?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The links are in there, immediately below the quoted text. This is my first post ever so.... >_>
I see the links. Are they not showing for you? I'm using firefox latest update.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Actually.. It was stopped.. By a democrat, at least for now:

Oregon Dem

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
The links are in there, immediately below the quoted text. This is my first post ever so.... >_>
I see the links. Are they not showing for you? I'm using firefox latest update.

Then apparently you missed the bit where it got blocked shortly after.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

No.

This week's demonstration of that principle is a bill called the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act, which passed the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday.

Source

The bill has merely passed committee thursday. Here is a resource for tracking the bills progress.

~Heff
edit on 11/20/10 by Hefficide because: typo

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The US censor my Interweb?

When they bloody well pay me for being a citizen without my knowledge they can!

Otherwise, my internet beats your internet... till stupid conroy gets his sticky fingers in it.. wanker he is..

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Molesting passengers at airports turns to molesting the internet and free speech. I have a gut feeling this bill is far overreaching. I wonder what all the professors initially drafted.
edit on 20-11-2010 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Oh thank you SO much for posting that!
I'm glad to know that they're on the ball about this. I was starting to get nervous. However, there is still a scary chance (and you know they will) bring it back up again in a future time. I can only hope that more people like Senator Wyden is there to keep this from happening. The idea behind it is good from a software developers pov and so on, but other entities DO utilize file sharing to distribute their wares legally. Shutting down those fully would damage that commerce. Not to mention it IS a horrible way of putting a muffler of sorts onto everyone who uses the Internet, business wise or the casual user.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Specter, it's still showing the links to me just fine. I'm unsure what blocks you're talking about.
I'm so sorry. Are they blocked out to anyone else?

And Hef, thank you for that follow up there. I'll be sure to bookmark this as it's gained my attention fully.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
the US will shut down the servers which illegal websites run on or block the host addresses, right? no different from what china does right? this isn't the US trying to control global internet usage. its trying to protect business owners from theft. somebody prove me wrong with facts from the act please.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

As I understand it-since the U.S. control the registrar (name registration servers) I think the IP assignment is also under control... Basically the main censorship push would be fore ripping records from the registrar:stripping the route to get to the servers, not seizure of the servers themselves.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
If they make my internet not worth what it costs me, I will cancel my internet and enjoy the extra money.

They will have to find another way to find out what I'm up to.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Not quite. It hasn't been censored yet. And there's great news!!

It's too early to say for sure, but Oregon Senator Ron Wyden could very well go down in the history books as the man who saved the Internet.

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Stay Tuned

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Look at the this forum, this claim is disproven by the FCC's intention to order Network Neutrality.

It seems that everytime something nefarious is posted everyone is quick to blame Govt or the Congress but if something positive happens everyone wants to cry foul?

The FCC is shutting this down and if passed Obama has the authourity to veto it and kill it.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
If they make my internet not worth what it costs me, I will cancel my internet and enjoy the extra money.

They will have to find another way to find out what I'm up to.

Yet, another clearcut and classic case of someone willing to concede freedoms. Keep your subscription and keep your internet.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

original thread on COICA

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
The US censor my Interweb?

When they bloody well pay me for being a citizen without my knowledge they can!

Otherwise, my internet beats your internet... till stupid conroy gets his sticky fingers in it.. wanker he is..

haven't you heard we're all global citizens now!

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Yeah one congressman put a hold on it and chances are that the bill is going to die.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join