It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the real American hero of the year is ....a Democrat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
My title is kinda trolling but eh... this guy deserves the award for this :

Oregon Senator Wyden effectively kills Internet censorship bill

It's too early to say for sure, but Oregon Senator Ron Wyden could very well go down in the history books as the man who saved the Internet.

A bill that critics say would have given the government power to censor the Internet will not pass this year thanks to the Oregon Democrat, who announced his opposition during a recent committee hearing. Individual Senators can place holds on pending legislation, in this case meaning proponents of the bill will be forced to reintroduce the measure and will not be able to proceed until the next Congress convenes.

Even then, its passage is not certain.

THANK YOU SENATOR. A big thank you from the free world!

Ron Paul received this award so many years before... it's time for someone else to have it...

edit on 19-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
BULL#.

The government is attempting to use the FCC to regulate the internet by enforcing the doctrine. Maybe you should actually research the crap before posting idiocy.

edit to add-normally you are on the ball vitchilo, here you are wrong!
edit on 19-11-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

So you're saying that the COICA bill is good?

Because this senator BLOCKED THE BILL....

So you're supporting COICA?

This senator looks like he isn't a traitor like the majority of them... he voted against the Iraq war and against the bailouts, voted against the embargo of Cuba, against ban on gay marriage, for english being the national language, he was against the Patriot Act.....but he voted for NAFTA... so overall he seems like a good guy.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I am definitely very happy that he blocked this bill and that some politicians in Congress still have basic ethics.

Wooo!!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

No, I am not asserting ANYTHING.

I have been attempting to UNDERSTAND the assertions on the hundreds of differing bills the government has attempted to pass in the last couple years. Seems to me, that I have absolutely free will on the net.

NOW, I have had a problem with connecting to certain sites, almost like I am in China. I have had to use proxies to connect to them. You are going to have TO PROVE that these supposed LAWS and LEGISLATION is going to help me. I am beginning to see the exact same thing HERE as we have seen in CHINA.

I am getting sick of using PROXIES from the UK or Ireland. Kinda weird that the US is the center of CENSORSHIP is it not!?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Yep and this bill would have made it all the worse. I am curious about the proxies you are talking about, I have not had to use proxies to get on to any sites recently, what sites are you needing these for?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

I use certain sites to get live feeds. Some are protected by their contracts, but some are just live.

Yes, some of the areas that I get my info from are blocked here in the US. Do you actually believe that the US is the center of free distribution of information?

One site I use is a torrent site, now that site is 20-80% illegal or not. I do not know, I do not CARE!

Tell me folks, how do you disseminate information? Are you going to actually shutdown a form of speech?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Exactly, that's why what this senator has done is good... he blocked another bad bill that would have censored even more internet. So that's why he's good... I agree with you, this whole censorship thing is utter BS and nothing ever should be censored except pedophilia.

Everything else should never be censored.

And maybe you're experiencing censorship because of your ISP?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Just out of curiosity, which sites are you banned from accessing?

~

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Okay people, there is this amazing ability on the internet. When people make a thread with some sort of link, one can assume the link is pertinent to this discussion. Now, a while back some people stole an idea to create what is known as the "mouse". The mouse allows you to interact with things on the screen. When you click a link, it brings up a new window! I know, amazing huh? And hey, things in that window MIGHT just be pertinent to this discussion.

For example, and this especially is aimed at the OP, I don't exactly see how this man is a hero what so ever. Yes, he is stopping this bill. Mainly because, and here is the clincher that I discovered by using this mystical ability I seemingly am the only one to posses called reading, "Deploying this statute to combat online copyright infringement seems almost like using a bunker-busting cluster bomb, when what you need is a precision-guided missile," Wyden said.

He has no intention of protecting the internet. If anything with the language he uses he's likely advocating MORE power to this group.

READ PEOPLE.

Wait, what's the point? I'm telling people to read by having them read to read. # my life.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

He has no intention of protecting the internet. If anything with the language he uses he's likely advocating MORE power to this group.

Well for now he's opposing THIS particular bill and that for now is good. And since he opposed the Patriot Act and the Iraq war, he seems sane enough.

If it wasn't for him, the bastards would have passed it. So he saved the day for now....now we'll see what he does in the next senate session when another bill like that comes up.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

finally, a democrat does something good. it only took, what 180 years?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

And yet instead of giving a good reason to not pass the legislation, he gave the WORST reason possible, "not good enough, need more".

I couldn't care less what his pass voting history says, all I care about is his actions on this one.

I'll play it one step at a time, I can't see into the future so I don't know where his actions will lead but if what he says implicates ANY one thing, that would be it not being so great for the internet still.
edit on 19-11-2010 by SpectreDC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

"Deploying this statute to combat online copyright infringement seems almost like using a bunker-busting cluster bomb, when what you need is a precision-guided missile," Wyden said.

Mmmm looks like he said the contrary... he said that this bill was too broad and not precise enough... meaning not aimed only at closing foreign websites distributing illegal content...

But yeah I agree, internet SHOULD NOT BE CENSORED, the FCC/government shouldn't be given any power to forcefully close websites.... I mistitled my thread... it seems he did this because he still wanted the FCC to have more power... just not THAT much power.

He's a democrat after all... he believes that the state should control all our lives.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Torrent sites in the US are blocked by internet service provider's(Cox, Comcast, Time-Warner, etc.), not the big, bad, gubment.

Go ahead and google this:

[Your ISP] throttling [your torrent site]

That should help.

Now, we can all be civil about this and say that neither the government or a corporation should restrict access to information on the web. That comes with the idea that all information should be accessible, which could be troublesome in certain situtations.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Unfortunately it seems he did not vote against this or hold for a benevolent reason. The internet has gotten out of control and it is responsible for the grass-root movements such as the "Tea Parties" and for many newly awoken Americans to the evils and plans of the NWO. As such, they will lock it down. Obama already has presidential privilege to turn it off at his leisure. It's nearly game over!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

Isohunt is one.

I use that one to share a lot of information. That is how I transfer info to friends and family. I am sick and tired of having to use proxies for it. Want to send pics, create a file and then make a torrent, boom it is there.

BUT, not with our country, they think that is illegal!

I also have several boxes, the problem is, it takes three to four times as long to upload only. Then you have to download. Where as if you want to spread the information fast, boom, create a torrent and it floats in the system and you can get it 5-10 faster then using dedicated locations.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Giving this a little bump.

Sorry folks, but the fact that the GOVERNMENT wants to REGULATE the internet, should actually WORRY you.

Of course, if you a sycophant, it does not matter.

new topics

top topics

join