It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explain what American Football is and how the sport is played

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of any sports let alone football. Since this summer I have been enjoying my time with my friends playing football. Even though I'm not an expert in the game. I find that I'm really good and my friends think so as well. I can throw the ball perfectly; as well my friends are also surprised I never pursue the sport. I'm interested in going into the military and trying out the American military professional foot ball team for fun. Sounds like a great idea. I would like to know more about the sport and see what more I can learn.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I don't know much/anything about American football really, other than it is a variation of rugby, played with pads and with a lot more breaks. I've always wondered why it's called football as well, as it involves using your hands and it is not ball shaped
edit on 19/11/2010 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

So you would like it to be called "American Hand Prolate Ellipsoid"?
Thats not very catchy

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Hand egg would do, plus there's already a sport called football, which is played using your feet and a ball

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
They carried the name "football" over from Europe. The early predecessors to American football (which was essentially a form of rugby) was called "football" not because of kicking the ball, but because the other primary sport played in Europe at that time was polo, played on horseback whereas soccer, rugby, etc was played on foot.

Originally, the ball was snapped by the center's foot, not his hands. Plus you could only advance the ball by running, not by passing. This lead to the flying wedge, which caused a ton of serious injuries. The forward pass was made legal in an effort to reduce these injuries by opening up the scrum. Formations like the flying wedge, as well as any other formation which amounted to the entire offense moving as a linked unit, mowing down defenders as the ball was advanced behind the formation, were outlawed.

The name of the game may not matchup with the reality of modern football... but then again, the NBA doesn't throw the ball into a peach basket anymore and yet they still call it "basketball."

To the OP, being able to throw a ball well among your friends really doesn't translate to qualifications in organized football. The QB position is as much brains and being able to read the field and defenses as it is physical talent, in fact physical talent is probably the least important quality for the position. There have been a lot of guys who can sling it a ridiculous distance down the field but who have fallen flat on their face because they didn't have the stuff between their ears needed to play the game. I realize the professional level is a poor point of comparison to this conversation, but one of the greatest examples is between Peyton Manning & Ryan Leaf. From a physical standpoint, Ryan Leaf was far more physically gifted than Peyton Manning. Yet he utterly failed thanks to having nothing close to a clue about how to actually be a successfull QB. Manning, on the other hand, played with his brain frist and became a legend.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
lmgtfy.com...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
I'm interested in going into the military and trying out the American military professional foot ball team for fun.

If that was a recruiting pitch, you're being hosed. Tell them your second choice is outside garbler on the snipe hunting squad.

In the meantime

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

No! I haven't been recruited yet by anyone. I'm going on my on freewill. Football would be something I could do with my fellow soldiers. There are many reasons why I'm going into the Army.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

dang you beat me to it

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Yeah! I like the video! Thanks to you both for keeping an eye out for the laughs and giggles!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Seriously now...this is what google is for.

And DO NOT equate being better then your friends, or your friends saying you are good to being actually good. That's a bad yard stick to measure yourself by. A pick up game is way different then a real game.

I'm not going to sit here and explain the rules of football and how the game is played, it is simple, yet takes a while to explain.

This Sunday, around 9 am pst I think it is for you (your location says you are in sacramento) turn on your local FOX and/or CBS affiliate. Watch the game. That should be the best way to learn some rules.

Here's the basics...the games starts with a coin flip. The winner picks if they want the ball or to pick the side they want to defend. The team that has been elected to kick off kicks the ball to the other team, who then attempts to run it back. Once tackled, the offense comes on the field and has 4 "downs" to go at least ten yards while the other team tries to stop them. If they do not go at least ten yards, they must turn the ball over to the other team, who then has their turn. If the first team goes ten yards, they have another set of 4 "downs" and so on and so on.

Oh, and if you want to see one of the better games of the year, around 1 pm pst (if I have my time conversions correct) the Indianapolis Colts play the New England Patriots. You will see the two best quarter backs in the league, along with the best coach in the league.

I have a deep love for football now, so if there are other questions, I will be glad to answer. I played the game for a number of years and I understand the game inside and out and am even considering changing my life plans in order to pursue a career as a professional coach.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Romantic Rebel,
Is throwing the football well your main qualification? Because throwing a football is only done by the quarterback. And let me tell you this, there is only one quarterback per team. You can count the second or third string quarterbacks, but they only play when the starting quarterback is injured. Quarterback is the most coveted position on the entire team. It is soooo hard to win that position because everyone wants to be "the guy." Also, in most cases, the quarterback is the team captain, team leader. So a quarterback must be the best of the best of the best, sir!

Now if you can run really fast, out maneuver other guys, and catch a high speed, high flying football under pressure, then you would want to try out for Wide Receiver.

Are you pretty strong and can run fast? Tight End, Running Back, or Full Back is your position.

Are you a big guy and/or very strong? Then you'll be a perfect blocker in the positions of Center, Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle.

And while playing defense, you'll need to be either very big and very strong, or a great blend of speed and strength.

Don't even consider kicker if you've never played soccer. Most kickers are ex-soccer players. And also, there is usually one main kicker with second and third string back-ups in case he gets injured.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
reply to post by davespanners

Hand egg would do, plus there's already a sport called football, which is played using your feet and a ball

Actually, you can use your head and hands as well and they have a "throw-in." So, I don't know why they call that sport football either. The proper name is soccer.

top topics

join