It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker arrested after cracking Federal Reserve

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Hacker arrested after cracking Federal Reserve

federalnewsradio.com

A federal grand jury has indicted a Malaysian citizen for allegedly hacking into a computer network at the Federal Reserve Bank and possessing more than 400,000 credit and debit card numbers. Federal prosecutors also allege Lin Mun Poo, 32, made a career of compromising systems at financial institutions, major corporations and defense contractors. They say he sold or traded the information he found. Also according to the Justice Department, "in approximately August 2010, he hacked into the computer system of a Department of Defense contractor that provides systems management for military tran
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Eesh...

Well, I for one would not be crying salty tears if some hacker genius could shut down the racketeers and crooks at the fed.

But this particular case appears to be more of capitalizing on their database to steal from folks who are ALREADY being victimized by the fed's endless bailouts to bankster and corporate interests.lol

Still, an eye-brow raiser in that the all mighty criminal monetary institution head, as well as another tax base sponge, the D.O.D., was infiltrated by a hacker. Both of these enterprises are in need of a serious overhaul.

federalnewsradio.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-11-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: Typo

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

A federal grand jury has indicted a Malaysian citizen for allegedly hacking into a computer network at the Federal Reserve Bank and possessing more than 400,000 credit and debit card numbers.

Why would the Federal Reserve have credit card details, I didn't think they were involved with private accounts?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Serves them right.....
You know, if the the fed is so easily hacked then more power to him.

But still, he had a chance to get some real dirt on them but what does he do?
Goes after credit cards

edit on 19-11-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

as a hacker lemme tell you.... There is a sad state of affairs out there, and you don't have to be even a good hacker to get into most of the things I get into on a daily basis...

Of course, im not a criminal, as I am paid to find these issues... Think sneakers..... But still it is a very sad state of affairs...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Of course he does... That's what fuels hackers these days....

And why not?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
this is a lie.
there's a dummy loop on the highway, can't breach without delay

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

edit on 19-11-2010 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

they are probably involved with the banks and credit unions that supply the cards. actually, yes, they are.
lin mun poo? racist bastards

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

They are. While the Fed does primarily deal with aggregated transactions at the Bank level, they can and do get involved in some commercial routing levels.

In fact, the banks can use the Fed to clear a single transaction, be it a check or credit card or some other financial monetary instrument. They usually choose not to, however, since the aggregated costs of a bunch of single transactions is too pricey. That being said, there are some aspects of the banking world that use the fed for these onesy twosy sort of things.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Let's see....

I had been of the opinion at some point in the past, that the Federal Reserve was the front organization for a supranational cartel of financial organizations which have as their main mission, to utterly dominate the global economic system, empowering their owners and board members (as well as their associates and posterity) with the resources and wealth to conduct their lives without any survival pressures, and the freedom to act without consequence according to to their whim.

.... That hasn't changed.

However it appears that their reliance on 'servants' to administer their 'interface' with the human resources they exploit is a weakness. It appears that they are as lame at securing their system as any other bureaucrats who think the way to get any job done is through the lowest bidder.

Of course, as an organization with a monopoly on currency creation, credit rates, and monetary policy one might have supposed they would have been willing to extend their security by establishing a separate discrete network for data control. Duh.

I wonder why they hang on to individual consumers' credit card account information when they are supposed to be dealing with bank-to-bank activity? And furthermore, who's credit cards were they? Sachs?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

And keep in mind that this is the organization that receives daily check clearing aggregate settlements in the form of a text file that is manually uploaded and thinks that the most appropriate way of securing the system is to turn off the web server at 5PM CST.
edit on 11-19-2010 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

A federal grand jury has indicted a Malaysian citizen for allegedly hacking into a computer network at the Federal Reserve Bank and possessing more than 400,000 credit and debit card numbers.

Why would the Federal Reserve have credit card details, I didn't think they were involved with private accounts?

this is why I think the story is bogus. Maybe a false flag to beef up internet security around the federal reserve? More needs to be uncovered from this supposed hacker, if all he took was credit card numbers he's a low life scum, why would the fed have CC numbers, how would a malaysian hacker know this, and why would he target the biggest institution when a smaller credit card company would suffice? If he wanted to go after the fed, he could have gotten an audit rather than people's personal property (regardless of why the fed has that same property, maybe the housing market fiasco? Either way this sounds like inside job).

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Good News.

There are thousands of other skilled hackers out there that are American. Which means when the beast begins to get $h*tty with the citizens they can and will be electronically shut down.

Imagine losing communication with your battle fleet in the middle of some important operation (land, sea space and air) It can happen. I dont care how well encrypted and fire-walled it is

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
whatever you do, don't believe this for a second.
trust me, it's not possible, not from malaysia.
but interestingly enough, the us president has community there.
can you spell - s-e-t-u-p
edit on 19-11-2010 by TheDolphinSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDolphinSings

The internet does not care whether you're from Malaysia or America. Proxies are all around you - the only difference would be a delay of maybe a few hundred milliseconds.
edit on 19-11-2010 by scraze because: Managed to spell it "Maleysia" .. not sure why that happened.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hmm, I'm actually taking an interest in the potential twist you guys are bringing into this story!

So you think this is a fabricated event, to create some sort of extra security protocol, or possibly new laws protecting these institutions, or limiting the populace for going after them?

Perhaps a pre-meditated and fabricated event to shield themselves against the backlash they know is coming?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDolphinSings
whatever you do, don't believe this for a second.
trust me, it's not possible, not from malaysia.
but interestingly enough, the us president has community there.
can you spell - s-e-t-u-p
edit on 19-11-2010 by TheDolphinSings because: (no reason given)

indonesia.
ill never understand why people of 3rd world countries and other developing nations will always be considered incapable in any respect to a developed western nation. technology and education does exist around the world. its not just isolated to the western hemisphere. i don't doubt that the hacker was from malaysia and that he stole details for 400,000 credit cards. what i do doubt though, is that this is the full story. not that the government is trying to create anything or cover up anything, i just don't think they know everything. :/
technology is not fail-safe. i'm not sure what the purpose of having details on 400k credit cards is for other than to sell the info on the black market like what occurs across the globe.
think 400,000x100$=495.533
get what i mean?
edit on 19-11-2010 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
What makes me question the story is...10 years? Is that it?
US has crazy computer laws. I'd think he'd be under the jail for near life for this.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
All government and defense networks are vulnerable, and have weaknesses that can be exploited. Built in weaknesses within the software and electronics. Locating weaknesses accessing systems and networks for no real reason is foolish. The very cracking of these networks will ultimately make the system more secure.

This hacker should now be hired by the U.S. government as a security consultant.

It isn't what you can do that matters, it is what you do with it!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join