It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new MicroSoft Anti-Virus add on /download?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I just downloaded it yesterday from the MS website.

I did it as I was attempting to play a new game and it wasn't working properly (COD Black Ops).

Anyway, the MS Update said I had to remove all existing anti-virus. I did and proceeded to download & install.

I have to tell you, my computer is now flying fast. I decided to test it and went to some site I know gave my other A/V hell. Well, MS caught and removed/protected-without interferring with the surfing.

I was wondering if any of you have tried it and if so any problems or feedback?

I am going on the belief that it woud be in MS best interest to do a great A/V product as almost everything out there targets their product(s). Only makes sense.

Take care

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I'm not sure if you mean Microsoft Security Essentials (which includes an AV component) but if so, I can only say that I've been using it for some months now and it works very well. This was a major surprise for me, btw (as I'm not a great lover of MS), but the fact is it even caught a trojan in some software I had installed, when various other programs didn't. And yes, it does give me warnings if I click on a site that its database lists as risky.

It's apparently a bit of a memory and cpu hog (perecentage wise) if used on older systems, but for more modern computers like mine it runs without interfering in whatever I'm doing. The comp's speed and response is excellent, as is startup and shutdown, and even when its running its updater and downloading the latest database it does so in the background and I don't even notice unless I happen to see the "update" icon running in the taskbar.

Mike

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

www.microsoft.com...

Yes, I guess that is what it is called, thank you.

Good, two thumbs up.

Do you run any other AV full time, or even partially?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Yes, I run Microsoft Defender AND a Trend Micro AV simultaneously. Never have had issues. In the past I have also used AVira and AVG both are nice, functional, and free.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

But, do you do all of this while trying to play a high resourse using video game or something like that?

thanks. I am a noob in the computer side of life. I just want a Freaking fast comptuer..... lol
edit on 11/19/2010 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
So you add to mountain of useless (proprietary) code full of holes another code (probably also full of holes as is good tradition at M$) and think that it makes sense? Strange reasoning at least.

I forgot that malware exists at the moment I typed:

fdisk /dev/abc
[...]
dd if=/tmp/os.img of=/dev/abcXY
[...]
login: root
password:

Yes, I know from my painful experience
that M$ crap
successfully designed as trap
based on laziness and gag
is plain brain dread and dead

My first poem

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zeddissad2

Im sorry but you didn't make a bit of sense to me.

Again please.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zeddissad2

Funny.. I have been using Microsoft Windows since 1997 consistantly and only once did I ever get a virus.. and that was intentional.

But then I am pretty street smart when it comes to the internet. I don't download crap that has viruses in it and I am very hard to "phish". *shrug*

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

I have been using windows from version 3.11 (Win for Workgroups, basicaly good old DOS 6.22 with window manager and some childish multitasking on top of it) till WindowsXP. Sometime around 1998 I both my first dual CPU computer so I migrated from Win98 to WinNT4.0 .... It was really good, something like satori. Than Win2000 and XP. I started to learn more about computer and OS architecture and to 3d graphics added network administration. I hardly got a Virus at the time and I were not using any antivirus but my colleagues delivered me infected computers on daily basis. I started realize that there is no proper documentation for Windows (at least public) and that malware troubles mainly stem from bad basic design of windows: too many subsystems (usually not used) tightly interconnected in obscurity of registry. Basically if you use Linux than you install kernel and add software which you need. Windows are based on opposite philosophy: you got kernel under burden of useless crap. I gave up windows and moved to Linux - it was my second computer satori. There is good documentation for almost everything, lot off stuff is opensource so if you are not satisfied with existing code you can rewrite it without very expensive development kits.

To be clear I was pretty impressed by presentation of win7 kernel few years ago - virtualization is way forward. But I can not buy kernel alone, I must buy and install lot of other code which I do not need and which is security risk.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad2

To be clear I was pretty impressed by presentation of win7 kernel few years ago - virtualization is way forward. But I can not buy kernel alone, I must buy and install lot of other code which I do not need and which is security risk.

Actually, on that point I whole heartedly agree with you. That was a BIG sales opportunity that they missed and I make it a point to mention it every chance I get. Honestly, it Microsoft would harden the kernel and sell it sepeerate with an api for a user interface, that would probably solve 90% of the virus issues. Then we wouldn't have to worry about performance OR which anti-virus will work for us.

Also, one could make a UI specifically designed for game play, which would please the gamers to no end.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have been testing it since it came out and it is fast. Fast as in after you load it, you don't know it is there. Only NOD32 in my opinion comes close to. I have seen infections of malware pass through both on customers computers though. No viruses. As for the malware infections, I don't know as most require some sort of manual trick to click to install thus making it the clients fault not the AV program.

Windows not documented... Have to disagree. I bet that there is a 10 to 1 ratio of documentation of windows vs linux. If you are a member of MSDN you can pretty much get all the code documentation you will ever need to code for MS.
You did mention the kernal so I give you that.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

No, I don't run any other "live" AV program. I was using AVG in the past but I had some issues with it, which is why I decided to give MSE a try.

I do have software installed that I can use to manually inititiate a scan of the comp or even individual files. Otherwise it's just sitting and I don't allow it to run in the background. If I run it then I do so while offline and with MSE temporarily disabled. My alternative AV software has not picked up anything though.

I see a few members on this thread who seem to have an entirely negative perspective on the MS security products, or perhaps just MS in general. I have no problem with them voicing such opinions; I'd like to point out, though, that it would obviously be in Microsoft's best interests to make sure its own main security product (ie MSE) does a good job. They know full well that there is plenty of competition around and if their product is not up to standard then the users will just ditch it and look for something else.

Personally, I have alternative products that I prefer for some functions (eg Open Office software for word processing), but MSE has been doing fine and so I'll stick with it for now. Like I said, I was actually surprised at how good it was. Be nice if they could make all their products to that sort of standard.

Mike

new topics

top topics

join