It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beginning of the End for Facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I have come across several articles in the past couple days that relate to privacy issues concerning facebook. Here's the first: www.wtsp.com...

Debt collectors have begun to utilize facebook to embarrass people that owe by contacting their families and friends via the social networking site.

The other story is from today: latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Huntington Beach, California plans to harass people convicted of drunk driving on facebook. These stories aren't very far off from this: www.cnn.com...

So be careful on social networking sites. Did you realize that myspace is merging with facebook? Myspace users can now access their facebook accounts through myspace, which means unprecedented information consolidation.

Be prepared for the worst.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
the problem with "social networks" is old and everyone know about they selling infos and stuff..

but..noone cares...kids are so exited to share private stuff and fell like Stars...its incredible..

i think it dosnt take long till all inet rights are gone...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
People should be careful, as usual.
Those two things mentioned though aren't great examples.
Don't drunk drive and don't spend over your head! If you do those things they're your own problem.
However, facebook should not be used as a medium for companies to harass people.

Always remember that you may change your privacy settings to exclude ANYONE from seeing your friends, and all other information about you.
The privacy settings are actually quite good, it's just that facebook has not chosen to place them on maximum settings from the get go, which is understandable from a growth point of view.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by T0by

I agree that you should not drink and drive or spend over your capacity. But also consider that many people with debt crises are in that situation because of medical emergencies without insurance, so yes, it is inappropriate for companies to use facebook as a means to contact debtors. Also keep in mind that when you sign up for facebook, it's free. They're able to do that by selling information that they gather on the sites to marketing groups. When you click the "I agree to the terms listed," you are agreeing to have your personal information sold to marketing agencies.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Facebook banned me indefinitely for holding certain alternative discussions on my page with my friends. I signed up 3 times and was eventually deleted off the site 3 times - F@#$ FACEBOOK!

Like everything good it eventually gets used for financial purposes and the true essence left a burning ember.
I hope it goes the way of MySpace soon. . .

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I'm curious how to get kicked off facebook. Honestly I'd like to. What kind of alternative conversations were you having if you don't mind me asking?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
God Forbid your only human and have made some mistakes. Even if you have bettered yourself,
learned from these errors, and forged positively ahead, well guess what, these dweebs will try to
chain you back. FOREVER.

Is that really what you guys think its coming too?

I hope you folks are wrong. If your right, that means we have to negotiate these websites with
Pink Tu Tu's and Ballerina Slippers.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I don't even know why I go on facebook, anything i post trying to get people to explore things further (weather it be 911 or anything else) goes ignored from everyone I've ever known. I really don't care what people are doing at the moment cause its all pretty boring. I guess I could delete my account, but you can't really delete your account on facebook. You can just sign right back in and start where you left off. Oh well. lol

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by WashingtonGrewHemp

Not exactly the same thing, but back in 2006 I put a myspace account up, wrote a blog about muslims and a potential terrorist attack I could see happening. (for clarification, I was speaking about muslim extremists, not the peaceful muslim people)

The very next day my account was gone. No questions asked, no email notification, nothing. Entire profile gone within a day. Plus my account was private. There are people out there watching/policing these sites.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WashingtonGrewHemp

Topics on religion, politics, war. One of the ones they got really pissed over was I asked my friends (hypothetical situation) If they were forced to hijack an american domestic flight how would you accomplish this now in 2010? (It was @Feb of this year) I did this because I fly a lot with my daughter and I just was curious if I ever saw something like it going down I would know beforehand. Thank you Facebook for using common sense.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Dont have a facebook WONT have a facebook and ill stay out of the loop if i have to until the new SOCIAL NETWORK site comes to play and it will

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Yeah, That may be true, but if Facebook members start deactivating by the millions, the message
will be clearly understood.

So, I just deactivated mine after reading this Thread. So that is 1 down 999,999 + to go.
Facebook know's that they will probably start losing some sophisto's and Intel's, but the annual influx
of teeny boppers is their ace card.

By the way, I am in temporary de-act. status. Until they clean up their act. I suggest ALL You Good
People Do The Same.

I'm sure the really important people in your life will take the time to send an Email,Call your phone,
or even My Stars,,,,write a letter.

For Real, once you have found your old friends, you no longer need facebook to stay in contact with them now do you?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I am on facebook and its a good way to connect or reconnect, share photos and events.

If you dont want certain info to be known, dont share it. Also its not really the site to bring heavy serious discussions. People will just switch off, some wont though.

Yes we know there are privacy issues and that apparently CIA was involved or invested in it, but its a tool like any other to serve a purpose.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Holy Crap! I just started mine yesterday!
Talk about creepy...

I only plan on uploading demos though, hope there's no piracy

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I have had facebook before and then just deleted my accounts and yes it works to delete your accounts just google it , if facebook deleted my account i wouldn't have cared ...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Planet teleX
Holy Crap! I just started mine yesterday!
Talk about creepy...

I only plan on uploading demos though, hope there's no piracy

Piracy on the internet? What ever gave you that idea???

Why that would be a world gone topsy turvey...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've resisted FaceBook for this long but I'm slowly edging towards getting an account as it seems to be the only way people are able to communicate now.

My girlfriend who has an account knows about everything that goes on with my family members WAY before me, she will come in to the room and say "Hey I didn't know your niece was getting married" and I have to say, neither did I.

People can't even be bother to text me any more

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
You should change the Title to "The Beginning of the End through Facebook." Great post! S&F for you.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Wow, good to know. If I ever want to get banned I guess I'll have to talk about hypothetical terrorist attacks. Thanks for the tip.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
It just goes to show that the privacy we take for granted is a convenient illusion that we maintain. The internet is, in fact, policed. Also, as much as the US denies it, there are echelon hubs where all this information is running through. The gatekeepers have access to inconceivable amounts of information.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join